2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

Uh. Top to bottom disagree. 

“You don’t build a Stanley Cup contender” with brad Richards and Rick Nash signings? Man, we remember the 2013 stanley cup finals differently. Artemi Panerin is a 27 year old superstar: it immediately escalate their rebuild to “over”. They’re already flush with young nasty Russians ready to take over: Kravstov is going to be a fvcking animal. 

The Devils are miles, and I mean *miles* away from being cap strapped like those (bonifide fvcking  stanley cup contenders by the way) teams you mentioned. You don’t get to keep a superstar wing on an up and coming team without overpaying him. So you have to do that. You overpay him. 

So what if he’s 2m over market value. When was the last time the devils were within 2m of the cap ceiling? 

It became hard to take you seriously when you mentioned Trouba — a Winnipeg Jet — being “lost from the lightning” as an example of what can happen. Point has made it clear he wants to stay in Tampa, and I’ll bet you any dollar amount he does. 

You concede you’ll sign him at 7/8.5. He’ll probably sign 7/10. What are you doing with that extra 1.5? That can get you half of a miles wood; have fun.

and for the record: if you call “Pens, Leafs, Preds and Lightning” problem teams, please show me where I can sign up for those problems. The Devils have won one single playoff game since 2012. That’s a fvcking problem team. 

Again, I really dont care about Kravstov, he'll be traded in 5 years time based on the way the Rangers do things. Bottom line, in this capped strapped era, the one thing every GM has to be mindful of is the CAP. Every million and half million counts. It could be the difference between having to trade a valuable piece or bring in a valuable piece prior to the trade deadline. Its utter nonsense to think we have 20 million in cap space so lets give Taylor Hall a 10 million dollar contract which he is absolutely not worthy of. This mentality is exactly what got all the other teams in trouble in the first place, they became lackadaisical with their budget. You sign Taylor Hall to 10 million, Jack Hughes to 12 million (what difference does 1 million make here), Nico to 8 million, another 6 million to Subban extension, a 6 million to Ty Smith and now you have 42 million tied up in 5 players.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Again, what other teams are in trouble? The leafs are the only one you can name, and nobody is advocating Shero give a 38 year old a Marleau contract. 

The lightning won 60 fvckin games last year and they’re ready for another go next year.  The devils haven’t been near the cap in forever. Not signing Hall for an extra million because maybe in 4 years you might get a little pinched is stupid; ESPECIALLY when the cap will be going up with the addition of a new team.

A sh!tload of teams are in some kind of trouble, approximately 10 teams according to me and how does Marleau even come in to this discussion. Give Taylor Hall 1.5 mill extra, Hughes 1.5 mill extra, Nico, 1 mill extra, this is the exact approach, this "desperation" which has gotten other GMs into trouble. Panic sets in and whoosh. Lightning lost Trouba, that's not a small piece, Leafs could possibly lose Marner, thats not a small piece and that could be us in the future. Then you'd be harping on Shero how he overpaid and got us into this mess. Had the leafs taken my approach with Nylander and Tavares, they probably wouldve signed Marner by now, but they did exactly just that, whats an additional 1.5-2 million when we have so much space. If one of our future prospect becomes a future Neiedermeyer or such a player becomes available, we need to be in a position to adjust to such possible events at all times. The cap is an asset (huge asset), you need understand what Shero says when he says that, if you own a business you'd know what he means.

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Keep in mind the cap will go up over that time....

Yes, it will but when you make a decision, you make it with the worst case scenario in mind as well as the cap showed us that it can very well go down in the next two years till Seattle joins. If I am Shero, I work with the assumption that the cap goes down by 1.5 million every year and I always want to be 5% below the cap.

Edited by Anhkheg

2 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

I did cool hockey. I already got a bratt from them. Shady name plate, but they did more stitching than exclusive did. 

More stitching?? I don’t understand. 

EPS did the on ice jerseys for years, that’s why I use them. 

1 hour ago, Anhkheg said:

A sh!tload of teams are in some kind of trouble, approximately 10 teams according to me and how does Marleau even come in to this discussion. Give Taylor Hall 1.5 mill extra, Hughes 1.5 mill extra, Nico, 1 mill extra, this is the exact approach, this "desperation" which has gotten other GMs into trouble. Panic sets in and whoosh. Lightning lost Trouba, that's not a small piece, Leafs could possibly lose Marner, thats not a small piece and that could be us in the future. Then you'd be harping on Shero how he overpaid and got us into this mess. Had the leafs taken my approach with Nylander and Tavares, they probably wouldve signed Marner by now, but they did exactly just that, whats an additional 1.5-2 million when we have so much space. If one of our future prospect becomes a future Neiedermeyer or such a player becomes available, we need to be in a position to adjust to such possible events at all times. The cap is an asset (huge asset), you need understand what Shero says when he says that, if you own a business you'd know what he means.

Yes, it will but when you make a decision, you make it with the worst case scenario in mind as well as the cap showed us that it can very well go down in the next two years till Seattle joins. If I am Shero, I work with the assumption that the cap goes down by 1.5 million every year and I always want to be 5% below the cap.

Dude, it’s already been pointed out to you that Trouba was on the WINNIPEG JETS.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s not how the pro jerseys are done. I don’t think that makes it better, but if you’re happy with it, that’s good. 

Idk how they're done. I just said cool hockey does more stitching. I love ep, but I wont go out of my way to get Jersey work anymore. Cool hockey took 2 weeks.. ep took 3 months. 

5 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Idk how they're done. I just said cool hockey does more stitching. I love ep, but I wont go out of my way to get Jersey work anymore. Cool hockey took 2 weeks.. ep took 3 months. 

EPS sews the layers together before going on the jersey. Cool Hockey sees them on separately. 

Definitely right about the time it takes, EPS is about 3 months. Given that it’s summer, I have time...

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

EPS sews the layers together before going on the jersey. Cool Hockey sees them on separately. 

Definitely right about the time it takes, EPS is about 3 months. Given that it’s summer, I have time...

well now the one layer stitching makes sense. thanks for the info! 

4 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Just go to Meigray and get a game worn

Subban game worns are $2,495 on MeiGray. That’s not what either of us is talking about. 

16 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

well now the one layer stitching makes sense. thanks for the info! 

No worries!

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Even more proof that the Leafs are definitely going to lose Marner (?????) and that Marleau doesn’t come into the discussion (??!?)

You mentioned it yesterday and SPECIFICALLY how it impacts tampa’s cap crunch with Point.

ya done goofed, don’t play lol

What goof? I am arguing its not feasible to pay Hall 10 million for 8 years as it will put us in cap hell as his value goes down considerably after he hits 32 (3 years into the contract), and your saying its ok to be in a cap crunch situation. We better bloody win the CUP in the next 3 years then, do you in your right mind think we'll be a contender in 3 years with this team? Because after that, Hall is not going to be in his top form and we will be looking to unload this albatross of a contract. Being in a cap crunch has too many disadvantages and its not a position I agree with. The whole cap era has changed the dynamics, being flexible, being able to make big moves later or adjusting to any future changes is extremely important in any sport and it applies to business as well, there are too many unknown variables which any experienced hockey GM will tell you. Taylor Hall can get injured or something and then never play to his full potential and players tend to be more brittle as they age. I was pulling my hair out when we were dealing with Malakov back in the 2000s. Toronto gave up a 1st round pick to drop Marleau just like us.

32 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

What goof? I am arguing its not feasible to pay Hall 10 million for 8 years as it will put us in cap hell as his value goes down considerably after he hits 32 (3 years into the contract), and your saying its ok to be in a cap crunch situation. We better bloody win the CUP in the next 3 years then, do you in your right mind think we'll be a contender in 3 years with this team? Because after that, Hall is not going to be in his top form and we will be looking to unload this albatross of a contract. Being in a cap crunch has too many disadvantages and its not a position I agree with. The whole cap era has changed the dynamics, being flexible, being able to make big moves later or adjusting to any future changes is extremely important in any sport and it applies to business as well, there are too many unknown variables which any experienced hockey GM will tell you. Taylor Hall can get injured or something and then never play to his full potential and players tend to be more brittle as they age. I was pulling my hair out when we were dealing with Malakov back in the 2000s. Toronto gave up a 1st round pick to drop Marleau just like us.

The problem with this logic is, you’ll never have any success because as players come into their prime, they’ll be looking for a high value, long term deal. Which, as we’ve all seen through the years, plenty of teams are willing to give. If you don’t give Hall that deal, he walks. You don’t give Hughes that deal 7 years down the line, he walks. You stay out of “cap hell” and out of contention. 

We’ve already been doing that, for YEARS. It’s no great mystery to me that we’ve had tons of cap room for years and have failed to be competitive. 

If we wind up in “cap hell” because Taylor got a $4m raise, then the team has been mismanaged, and/or 4-5 of our young guys have had all star starts to their season and are entitled to huge raises. That’s not a problem. That’s how teams succeed.