Devils Re-Sign Center Pavel Zacha - 3 years @ $2.25m AAV

Crisis

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Looking at this comparison to Wood, it seems kind of strange to me that the Devils see Zacha as less valuable.  I feel like Zacha is useful in more situations than Wood.

image.png.1a7cff8d61e90d9361f6f9bc027268aa.png

Wood's contract negotiations was right off a 19-goal season where it looked like he was going to turn into a steady 20ish goal a season player.

Zacha just came off another season of being largely meh for 3/4 of the season and then doing well the last 15-20 games.

At least Zacha's contract is easier to swallow.  The Wood contract is....well.....not good.

• Like 2

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Wood's contract negotiations was right off a 19-goal season where it looked like he was going to turn into a steady 20ish goal a season player.

Zacha just came off another season of being largely meh for 3/4 of the season and then doing well the last 15-20 games.

At least Zacha's contract is easier to swallow.  The Wood contract is....well.....not good.

I'm not there with Wood just yet, as far as his contract not being good goes.  He did play pretty well over his last 28 GP (though he did miss some time during that stretch with injuries). 

Great deal, cheap and enough long. More stability from him and we have decent bottom 6 guy. If he can’t - trade or seattle.

Btw president of Avangard said that deal was crushed after one press boy can’t shut his mouth.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

And don't give a fvck who he agrees to terms with! Unless it's us, then we're happy. 

Very 70s kind of event, this contract negotiation...back when parents used to smack their kids for getting out of line (didn't matter where, you saw that sh!t in supermarkets and malls everywhere back then), but then immediately hugged them afterwards.  Shero smacked Zacha upside the head a few times, and is now giving him a hug.  He may even take him out for an ice cream cone with sprinkles.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Traded Zacha for what?  He was a RFA.  What's funny is some fans bitch all day about a guy, but think if you package him with other stuff you won't miss much, you can get something good.  Other GMs are plenty aware of Zacha's iffy NHL track record to date too.  What exactly do you think you're getting for a young unsigned RFA like Zacha in a trade?  It makes more sense to keep him.

Yeah, this. The most likely trade scenario involving Zacha was a swap for another young prospect who needs a fresh start. That was tempting earlier in the offseason, maybe we take a shot at a young winger with some scoring upside like Puljujarvi (plus maybe a mid round pick). But after the Devils got Gusev, the need to make that move went out the window. And Boqvist looked really good the past few days as well. We have a filled out top 6 and don't need much more scoring (I hope), and so Zacha's third/fourth line defensive play becomes less expendable and completes our lineup. 

Interestingly, Friedman wrote that there are teams out there that like Zacha.  With a three year deal that has an AAV significantly less than the league average, he becomes even more attractive.  And if Godot arrives this year and he becomes an impact player, you're looking at one of the most valuable players in the league. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Interestingly, Friedman wrote that there are teams out there that like Zacha.  With a three year deal that has an AAV significantly less than the league average, he becomes even more attractive.  And if Godot arrives this year and he becomes an impact player, you're looking at one of the most valuable players in the league. 

The more and more things progress with this offseason, the more and more, to me, Miles Wood is going to be the odd man out, if anyone goes. And it's not too long ago that I thought his upside was 35 goals. 

At that price having a 3 or 4C that can score 10-15 goals, and kill penalties isn’t the worst thing in the world. Maybe he can even up those goal numbers if gets better luck. He does have a pretty good shot. 

Also, I can only speculate other than his buddy Coleman, but he seems well liked in that locker room. Seems like a decent deal for both sides. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Who?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Can he score 10 to 15 goals?

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

May be it’s because it’s only one thing interesting to read on French. And it was written by Irish writer anyway.

disclaimer it’s a joke, I’m Camus fan.

It's fair coz you are Russian... because with england & France, it's the only country worth reading ! ; )
And i'm a huge Mikhaïl Boulgakov fan ! 

3 hours ago, moustic said:

It's fair coz you are Russian... because with england & France, it's the only country worth reading ! ; )
And i'm a huge Mikhaïl Boulgakov fan ! 

with... or without...  with. ok. i agree. 

But... about England... I really like some irish writers, americns writers, but englishmans... Meh. Fowles from england as i remember, but he went to france becouse  he  can not do it this way. England writers sux