GDT: Devils Vs Bruins, 19 Nov 19, 7pm Eastern

jagknife

Just now, jagknife said:

13ish minutes of bad hockey. 7 minutes of looking competitive.

Do better in the 3rd

Whatever the breakdown is, this is when you look at the scoreboard and say "Somehow we're still in this, maybe we've weathered their best, let's just see if we can get something done dammit!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Notice that he's played better since he was scratched and worked with?  Could be that this was the right move and benefitted both the player and the team.

And yeah I like Coleman a lot.  Guy never stops trying.

I was waiting for someone to say that.  It's possible, but I kinda doubt two games was enough to make this much of a difference.  I still stand by my belief that he was never really bad to begin with for the first 10 games or so, but it doesn't really matter at this point - if he keeps contributing offensively that's fine by me.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Whatever the breakdown is, this is when you look at the scoreboard and say "Somehow we're still in this, maybe we've weathered their best, let's just see if we can get something done dammit!"

I'm not trying to be negative.I am more just being realistic. Great teams find a way to win and without a complete turnaround of the effort so far tonight and a breakdown by the Bs(more so by Rask) there is no way they manage a win here. The Bruins are going to come out in the third like a team that made it to the Stanley Cup final last season and shut things down.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is also when a guy who wants to make $10-11m annually should put the team on his back and get this thing tied

Just now, '7' said:

Bruins just flat out own us. Game's over. Game was over at 1-0

To be that guy, it wouldn’t be over at 1-0 with that Coleman goal...

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was waiting for someone to say that.  It's possible, but I kinda doubt two games was enough to make this much of a difference.  I still stand by my belief that he was never really bad to begin with for the first 10 games or so, but it doesn't really matter at this point - if he keeps contributing offensively that's fine by me.

He was that bad, and if anything, it's not crazy to think a guy like Elias (with his experience and knowledge) working with him and Gusev missing those two games had a subtle calming effect and is allowing Goose to see the game with a steadier eye. 

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm not trying to be negative.I am more just being realistic. Great teams find a way to win and without a complete turnaround of the effort so far tonight and a breakdown by the Bs(more so by Rask) there is no way they manage a win here. The Bruins are going to come out in the third like a team that made it to the Stanley Cup final last season and shut things down.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that happened.  I'm saying if you're the Devils, you garner energy from wherever you can.  Somehow you're still in this game on the scoreboard.  Try to feed off it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

This is also when a guy who wants to make $10-11m annually should put the team on his back and get this thing tied

Would be nice...

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was that bad, and if anything, it's not crazy to think a guy like Elias (with his experience and knowledge) working with him and Gusev missing those two games had a subtle calming effect and is allowing Goose to see the game with a steadier eye. 

Coaching has definitely been part of his improvement. But so has him moving down to a less integral role - where he plays with players who are a little bit slower and he doesn't play against every other team's best defensive players.

He's only had one bad game over his past five or six. But he's not nearly playing as well as some of the Devils media is giving him credit for. He still doesn't quite understand what he can and can't do out there given his abilities - he has some "KHL" moments - but, I suppose such is excusable for a rookie, even if he is a 27 year-old. And he is starting to just relax a bit and make MUCH better choices. Listen, it's not like those of us that pointed out how bad he obviously was to begin the season don't know what makes him good. Gusev has world-class passing skills, skills that he hasn't been able to activate almost at all this season because of the slow pace at which he plays. And so all he could really do was, every here and there get himself in the right position to threaten with his shot. But when he can find moments to use his skill, it's going to be impressive.

I hope he can continue to become a smarter player, so he figures out how to utilize his offensive skills more despite his mediocre skating and lack of pace.