New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Well hopefully Nas is on a short leash with Ruff. If Ruff doesn’t like what he’s seeing he should have every right to sh!tcan Nas and bring in his own guy. 

I think I’m still in a state of disbelief that at some point during this offseason, someone literally sat down, looked at our past few years under the guidance of the clueless clown and said, “yeah, I definitely like where our defense is heading.”

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think I’m still in a state of disbelief that at some point during this offseason, someone literally sat down, looked at our past few years under the guidance of the clueless clown and said, “yeah, I definitely like where our defense is heading.”

It’s a head scratcher. Running a good PK should not have been enough. Neither is the slight improvement the team showed with him as interim. That was clearly mostly because of Mac. 

Edited by Nicomo

9 hours ago, jagknife said:

Yeah I’m willing to be openminded, but I don’t get Nas still being here at all.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Well hopefully Nas is on a short leash with Ruff. If Ruff doesn’t like what he’s seeing he should have every right to sh!tcan Nas and bring in his own guy. 

Won't this be Ruff's "system" for Nas to carry out? How they play in all 3 zones is Lindy's call. They also discuss (before games scouting sessions) which pairing goes out against opposing lines. Nas as assistant,  is immune. He'll run PK like in the past, and Recchi will run PP. No chance Nas/ or Recchi will be canned until the end of the season. Unless they leave on their own. 

22 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Won't this be Ruff's "system" for Nas to carry out? How they play in all 3 zones is Lindy's call. They also discuss (before games scouting sessions) which pairing goes out against opposing lines. Nas as assistant,  is immune. He'll run PK like in the past, and Recchi will run PP. No chance Nas/ or Recchi will be canned until the end of the season. Unless they leave on their own. 

You don’t know that. Ruff could feel Nas is not implementing his system successfully, their personalities could clash, etc. 

For all that we know Ruff MIGHT really be just a temporary thing. They figured they'd bring in someone with experience, that is on his last leg. Until the right candidate comes along. MAYBE they are really high on that european guy.

Now SAY that's the case, what's the point of bringing in... 2 new assistant coaches if say a new coach could come in next season and want to bring his people or wtv. Then keeping NAS who already know the group kind of make sense.

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

For all that we know Ruff MIGHT really be just a temporary thing. They figured they'd bring in someone with experience, that is on his last leg. Until the right candidate comes along. MAYBE they are really high on that european guy.

Now SAY that's the case, what's the point of bringing in... 2 new assistant coaches if say a new coach could come in next season and want to bring his people or wtv. Then keeping NAS who already know the group kind of make sense.

To me the message the higher ups sent was that aside from the players, the only person on the staff NOT responsible for sh!tty play is Nas. It’s short sighted but it’s not hard to think that considering, again, he was literally the only one to keep their job.

If he replaces Ruff at some point and gets a second chance with this team, I’ll lose my mind. He doesn’t have the coaching clout of Lemaire or hell even Lou for that matter (which in the latter case wasn’t saying much, obviously.)

But enough beating DBA 2.0, 9 days to the draft.

Edited by jagknife

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

But by that logic, what’s the point of bringing in ANY new coaches at all?

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

well maybe ruff wanted recchi and that it was a good opportunity to give him a shot. i dunno

You’re missing my point. If they are waiting for the Euro guy and Ruff is only a placeholder, why wouldn’t they have just used Nas as said placeholder?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re missing my point. If they are waiting for the Euro guy and Ruff is only a placeholder, why wouldn’t they have just used Nas as said placeholder?

Cause he's a rookie coach and maybe they want someone with experience who will still be able to bring something extra to what NAS could

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe they would've kept Nas as coach if the team had shown signs of life rather than the final spasms of a soon to be corpse. They must know the fans need to be entertained just a little bit.

The only reason I could think of for keeping Nas is so that all of our young guys will maintain SOME level of continuity/familiarity within the organization.

Think of poor Hughes: his supposed mentor (Hall) is gone; his ‘parent and roommate’ (Schneider) spent half the year in the AHL and who knows where he’ll be going forward; His first head coach (Hynes) is gone; his second head coach (Nas) could’ve been gone if we let him go; all his assistant coaches are gone; his first linemate (Simmonds) is gone. His GM who brought and nurtured him into the org (Shero) is gone. 

I would’ve preferred if Nas wasn’t brought back but with all the young kids on the roster maybe it’s a continuity thing?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, devlman said:

The only reason I could think of for keeping Nas is so that all of our young guys will maintain SOME level of continuity/familiarity within the organization.

Think of poor Hughes: his supposed mentor (Hall) is gone; his ‘parent and roommate’ (Schneider) spent half the year in the AHL and who knows where he’ll be going forward; His first head coach (Hynes) is gone; his second head coach (Nas) could’ve been gone if we let him go; all his assistant coaches are gone; his first linemate (Simmonds) is gone. His GM who brought and nurtured him into the org (Shero) is gone. 

I would’ve preferred if Nas wasn’t brought back but with all the young kids on the roster maybe it’s a continuity thing?

His captain is also gone. 

My question becomes, with all of those changes, does keeping Nas make THAT much of a difference, especially if as suspected the bulk of his responsibilities before becoming interim were defense/PK?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

His captain is also gone. 

My question becomes, with all of those changes, does keeping Nas make THAT much of a difference, especially if as suspected the bulk of his responsibilities before becoming interim were defense/PK?

Speaking of Greene what are the chances they try to bring him back? I wouldn’t be against it. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of Greene what are the chances they try to bring him back? I wouldn’t be against it. 

I think Greene really showed what alot of us had been saying: he's very good when used correctly. Unfortunately if he were to come back here, I think we'd be using him the same way we did before he left 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I really hope that someone can have a talk with PK and have him focus more this year.

I know some people here disagree but i really think he's spreading himself too thin with his brand, his podcast, all his appearances and all the crap he can possibly do to be in the spotlight. Plus well he has his family/dogs which obviously need attention and that's important. But all the rest is just noise, you simply can't be fully focused on your job when you have that much on your mind. He's physically giving the effort every shift and training hard (Well according to videos), but his focus seem to be totally gone. 

Most players in the league have 2 things in life. Hockey and family.

If he was playing okay and producing then he could do wtv he wants. But for what he's getting paid, he has to deliver and put his focus on that. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I really hope that someone can have a talk with PK and have him focus more this year.

I know some people here disagree but i really think he's spreading himself too thin with his brand, his podcast, all his appearances and all the crap he can possibly do to be in the spotlight. Plus well he has his family/dogs which obviously need attention and that's important. But all the rest is just noise, you simply can't be fully focused on your job when you have that much on your mind. He's physically giving the effort every shift and training hard (Well according to videos), but his focus seem to be totally gone. 

Most players in the league have 2 things in life. Hockey and family.

If he was playing okay and producing then he could do wtv he wants. But for what he's getting paid, he has to deliver and put his focus on that. 

I think the last part sums it up. When you’re making the All-Star team every year and contending for Norris trophies, all that extra stuff is fine. When you’re not, you just look like a huge douche.