2021 Around The League Thread

Satans Hockey

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Adidas and CCM at least make and distribute these jerseys and the logos aren't in a prominent spot. 

It's not the same as a Billy Bob's Burgers ad being thrown on the front of a jersey cause they simply paid for it. 

No, it’s not the same. But if you are one of these “I hate advertising” guys, you’re still wearing advertising. 

I’m not saying I like jersey ads, I’m just saying we’re all already wearing advertising of all sorts. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, it’s not the same. But if you are one of these “I hate advertising” guys, you’re still wearing advertising. 

I’m not saying I like jersey ads, I’m just saying we’re all already wearing advertising of all sorts. 

One is tolerable, the other is not and is to simply make the rich even richer*

*Views are of my own accord & not stating how the entire board should feel

Edited by Satans Hockey

18 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

One is tolerable, the other is not and is to simply make the rich even richer*

*Views are of my own accord & not stating how the entire board should feel

Or, counterpoint, you’ve been conditioned to accept one and not the other. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 4:29 PM, Lateralous said:

Tempe and Scottdale are to the east of Phoenix and basically where all the money is at.   The Glendale Arena was built way to the west of the city on cotton fields as part of a development called Westgate which pretty much got derailed by the 2008 crash.   Now it's basically an outdoor mall.  It's the Cardinals stadium, the arena, a tribute statue to Pat Tillman and a Tangers outlet all out in the middle of f'ing nowhere.   That's fine if you're trying to get fans out to 8 sunday games a season.   Doesn't work as well for hockey.   

I've never been to the Glendale arena but I've been to events at the baseball field and the downtown arena where the coyotes use to play. The locations there are definitely seem way better and were very convenient to get to. 

I thought Phoenix was nice enough to visit but the downtown area really cleared out rather quickly after events and there wasn't even a ton of places to grab something to eat after that were still open. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Adidas and CCM at least make and distribute these jerseys and the logos aren't in a prominent spot. 

It's not the same as a Billy Bob's Burgers ad being thrown on the front of a jersey cause they simply paid for it. 

i believe i read that teams will be able to choose the spot where the patch is. I'm hoping they go with the horizontal version of the logo. meaning it would appear smaller at 3.5" wide. But i doubt they will, you don't drop that much money to get your logo smaller and barely readable

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i believe i read that teams will be able to choose the spot where the patch is. I'm hoping they go with the horizontal version of the logo. meaning it would appear smaller at 3.5" wide. But i doubt they will, you don't drop that much money to get your logo smaller and barely readable

Much like the helmet logos, I question how effective the ads will even be. The helmet logos were barely noticeable, every once in a while they show a close up of a guy and you see it, and 99% of the time the shot is too far away to see anything. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Or, counterpoint, you’ve been conditioned to accept one and not the other. 

Additional counterpoint. You may not like it but there's a threshold you're willing to go cause you understand the benefits. Our owner feeling more comfortable with their finances will 100% help the on ice product and the arena and all. Ask Sens fans how it feels to have a owner not able to spend as much as he should.

Like... I wouldn't want a random company logo on my car. But if a company were giving me a million bucks to put a 3.5" wide sticker of their logo on my car for a year and i can pick the spot. After i wasnt able to work for a full year and had no money coming in. I'm going to do it cause hell... It's a fair tradeoff. 

If i care about my car and my pride though, i wouldn't accept that my car looks like a Nascar though even if i was thrown more money at. I'm hoping the NHL is kind of thinking the same way and im pretty sure they are.

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Much like the helmet logos, I question how effective the ads will even be. The helmet logos were barely noticeable, every once in a while they show a close up of a guy and you see it, and 99% of the time the shot is too far away to see anything. 

The helmet logo was the stacked version though which appears a lot bigger. What i mean is that when you're restrained to a specific dimension. Wide logos appears so much smaller than a stacked logo. 

For the Prudential logo it's a pretty big difference. So i'm hoping they somehow go with the horizontal version at the bottom of the jersey like the CCM. But what are the odds lol they'll obviously want their logo bigger.

1807834476_ScreenShot2021-08-22at10_58_30PM.thumb.png.8b93fd4b1c33247ea6c3c5379870aac7.png

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Additional counterpoint. You may not like it but there's a threshold you're willing to go cause you understand the benefits. Our owner feeling more comfortable with their finances will 100% help the on ice product and the arena and all. Ask Sens fans how it feels to have a owner not able to spend as much as he should.

Like... I wouldn't want a random company logo on my car. But if a company were giving me a million bucks to put a 3.5" wide sticker of their logo on my car for a year and i can pick the spot. After i wasnt able to work for a full year and had no money coming in. I'm going to do it cause hell... It's a fair tradeoff. 

If i care about my car and my pride though, i wouldn't accept that my car looks like a Nascar though even if i was thrown more money at. I'm hoping the NHL is kind of thinking the same way and im pretty sure they are.

That’s a good point, but counterpoint to that, how many people are driving around in cars that have a dealer’s advertising on the license plate frame. Many people take them off (I do, I just think they’re tacky looking), but thousands upon thousands of people don’t. 

The reason being, it’s small, unobtrusive, and you can live with it, and probably don’t even notice it after long. 

Or people are just too lazy to get a screwdriver and take it off. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s a good point, but counterpoint to that, how many people are driving around in cars that have a dealer’s advertising on the license plate frame. Many people take them off (I do, I just think they’re tacky looking), but thousands upon thousands of people don’t. 

The reason being, it’s small, unobtrusive, and you can live with it, and probably don’t even notice it after long. 

Or people are just too lazy to get a screwdriver and take it off. 

Its true, a whole lot a people just don't care. But i'm fairly certain that if dealers would be like. We'll give you a better deal if you keep that license plate frame, that they would keep it. You get something in return. But if you just buy the car and leave it there, you must be a sort of maniac

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Its true, a whole lot a people just don't care. But i'm fairly certain that if dealers would be like. We'll give you a better deal if you keep that license plate frame, that they would keep it. You get something in return. But if you just buy the car and leave it there, you must be a sort of maniac

Look around at people’s cars, around here I think better than half still have those plate frames on. Laziness probably has a lot to do with it. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The helmet logo was the stacked version though which appears a lot bigger. What i mean is that when you're restrained to a specific dimension. Wide logos appears so much smaller than a stacked logo. 

For the Prudential logo it's a pretty big difference. So i'm hoping they somehow go with the horizontal version at the bottom of the jersey like the CCM. But what are the odds lol they'll obviously want their logo bigger.

1807834476_ScreenShot2021-08-22at10_58_30PM.thumb.png.8b93fd4b1c33247ea6c3c5379870aac7.png

Clearly the helmet ads are a fraction of that size, but even with the jersey ads, you’ll see them during face offs or bench shots, half of those times it won’t be close enough to read it, and the rest of the time it’ll just be a blob that looks out of place. 

I just don’t see how that is effective advertising. I totally see why ownership would want the extra revenue (although I believe I read it’s getting split 50/50 between ownership and the players). 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Clearly the helmet ads are a fraction of that size, but even with the jersey ads, you’ll see them during face offs or bench shots, half of those times it won’t be close enough to read it, and the rest of the time it’ll just be a blob that looks out of place. 

I just don’t see how that is effective advertising. I totally see why ownership would want the extra revenue (although I believe I read it’s getting split 50/50 between ownership and the players). 

Yeah well for companies the more you spend on marketing. That's an expense for your business that you can claim, then you save with your taxes. So they never really lose lol

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've never been to the Glendale arena but I've been to events at the baseball field and the downtown arena where the coyotes use to play. The locations there are definitely seem way better and were very convenient to get to. 

I thought Phoenix was nice enough to visit but the downtown area really cleared out rather quickly after events and there wasn't even a ton of places to grab something to eat after that were still open. 

That was the WORST, especially when everything, including the hotel kitchen, closed before what felt like 8. I walked with a friend like 10 blocks to the nearest 5 guys just to eat something.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah well for companies the more you spend on marketing. That's an expense for your business that you can claim, then you save with your taxes. So they never really lose lol

Very true, it’s money off the books. 

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Look around at people’s cars, around here I think better than half still have those plate frames on. Laziness probably has a lot to do with it. 

I go even further than that and tell them skip the license plate frame and any emblem/logo anywhere on the back of the car period. Some dealers are more bothered than others but tough sh!t. It's definitely a pet peeve of mine.  I'll gladly take the screwdriver out to put plain frame as soon as the new plates arrive. 

Yet as for this version of the jersey ads being added, I'm not bothered by it. Play better and they won't even be noticed by most.  We can talk down the road if it grows year after year. 

3 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I go even further than that and tell them skip the license plate frame and any emblem/logo anywhere on the back of the car period. Some dealers are more bothered than others but tough sh!t. It's definitely a pet peeve of mine.  I'll gladly take the screwdriver out to put plain frame as soon as the new plates arrive. 

Yet as for this version of the jersey ads being added, I'm not bothered by it. Play better and they won't even be noticed by most.  We can talk down the road if it grows year after year. 

I have done that on occasion too, because I don’t like it. But THOUSANDS of people don’t care at all, and drive around advertising the dealership and probably don’t even notice it anymore. 

As small as these ads are, I’m guessing most people will barely notice them in time. 

19 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Same.  We were only there for baseball and downtown was nice enough but yeah, it was dead almost immediately after the game ended.   

15 hours ago, jagknife said:

That was the WORST, especially when everything, including the hotel kitchen, closed before what felt like 8. I walked with a friend like 10 blocks to the nearest 5 guys just to eat something.

We stayed in Scottsdale which seemed to be a good move in terms of food and entertainment, especially since we were there for a b'ball game which is much closer.  It's a looooong way from Glendale.   

Edited by Lateralous

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Don't know where they got this from as being an "announcement" but this looks like a bs rumor twitter account and this is obviously subject to change. Live Nation is going to require it for concerts at Prudential.

So far Devils games is nothing but they haven't announced anything either way yet, from my rep... 

"We have not had any policy updates or changes yet for events at Prudential Center. We hosted a few Monster Jam events over the weekend – masks were encouraged for fans but not enforced. As we get closer to the start of the season, we will share policies as they are announced. We will continue to follow the guidelines and regulations set forth by the state of New Jersey."

Edited by Satans Hockey