GDT: Capitals at Devils 1:00pm MSG+

eaglejelly

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of the young core, I mostly viewed it as Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Smith, and Blackwood until recently, but I think Zacha and Severson might also be part of the conversation at this point. Severson is only 26, so he fits the timeline, and I’m becoming more and more convinced this is not just a tease from Zacha. 

I'd honestly ad McLeod to this mix. I really think he can be a Coleman type player for us. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of the young core, I mostly viewed it as Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Smith, and Blackwood until recently, but I think Zacha and Severson might also be part of the conversation at this point. Severson is only 26, so he fits the timeline, and I’m becoming more and more convinced this is not just a tease from Zacha. 

zacha is def gonna be a big part, as well with sev. need goal scorers and some shut down d. well one more puck mover d would be nice. foote is promising as well with bahl.  no dumb moves and we are good. 

i would look at trading palm,goose,kuli at the deadline. won't get much, but bratt was a 6th and he is my boy. 

2 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

And I find it hard to believe kicking the sh1t out of the whl was really development for ty smith. 

It is certainly preferable to getting the sh!t kicked out of him on an awfully sub-par NHL team night after night. That is what happened to Zacha and before this season some people thought that was a major monkey wrench in his development. He got rushed to play at a level he wasn't ready for yet on a team he couldn't even contribute to.

3 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

And I find it hard to believe kicking the sh1t out of the whl was really development for ty smith. 

Well, it was. And there was also no reason to burn a year of his ELC when we’re clearly still a couple years away from competing. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It is certainly preferable to getting the sh!t kicked out of him on an awfully sub-par NHL team night after night. That is what happened to Zacha and before this season some people thought that was a major monkey wrench in his development. He got rushed to play at a level he wasn't ready for yet on a team he couldn't even contribute to.

And it’s even harder for a young dman. 

4 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

He clearly was good enough in my opinion. 

He had his chance to make the team last season and didn’t impress.  Like Nicomo pointed out, the Devils will not have wasted a year of ELC either.  I have no issues with how he was handled.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

He clearly was good enough in my opinion. 

I mean, we might have gotten an adequate 3rd pairing player out of him at 19, but I highly doubt he would have looked like a legit top 2 stud (like he does right now) that not only doesn’t need to be sheltered, but actually leads the team in TOI some nights.

I’m glad they eased him in. Just look at Bowen Byram so far this season. That probably would have been Ty last year. 

• Like 2

I mean, we might have gotten an adequate 3rd pairing player out of him at 19, but I highly doubt he would have looked like a legit top 2 stud (like he does right now) that not only doesn’t need to be sheltered, but actually leads the team in TOI some nights.

I’m glad they eased him in. Just look at Bowen Byram so far this season. That probably would have been Ty last year. 

(Not directed at you Nimco, just a statement)

We have him now and and he is amazing. This is all just typical neversatisfiedism that fans have to talk about all the "what ifs". Even if Ty was as good as he is today if they had put him on the roaster 1 or 2 years ago, what difference does it make it the big picture of the team's performance? He alone doesn't make enough of an impact to change any of the outcomes.

One of the things I like about Ruff and his system is that their is plenty of talk and emphasis on winning the board battles and puck retrievals.  That kind of hockey and talk was missing around this team for a bit.

So it was good to hear Ruff kind of give it to his team post game.  Said they wanted to be a "fancy, stick handling team."  Will the boys respond tomorrow?  Let's hope so, but it's good to get the emphasis on not just playing fast but being heavy as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

(Not directed at you Nimco, just a statement)

We have him now and and he is amazing. This is all just typical neversatisfiedism that fans have to talk about all the "what ifs". Even if Ty was as good as he is today if they had put him on the roaster 1 or 2 years ago, what difference does it make it the big picture of the team's performance? He alone doesn't make enough of an impact to change any of the outcomes.

remember when we used to complain about not having centers back in the day. now we are stocked. i had a bunch of beers so my comment might be off kilter. 

Nice feeling with one of my favorite players, Travis Zajac getting recognition. Also, to see Patrik Elias, my favorite, say a few nice words to his friend for years, Travis.

My thoughts immediately went to the night after a game. It was snowing heavily. Patrik and Travis lived near each other, so they carpooled together to and from games. After a game, they were going home, up Route 280 W, and got halfway up the big hill on 280 and got stuck in the snow. So they slept the night in the car until the next morning when the roadway was cleared. 

Too bad Travis didn't have fans there to celebrate with him. I hope he heard my hands clapping. 

Way to go, Travis. Good health. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

remember when we used to complain about not having centers back in the day. now we are stocked. i had a bunch of beers so my comment might be off kilter. 

I think I get it.

These things don't turn around overnight and we have certainly been waiting a long time for a real solid light at the end of the tunnel. We're finally getting there, but it is so "human nature" to just never be satisfied. Are they where we want them to be yet? No, but there is finally a reason to be positive. 

I am not saying my post history is the cleanest in history, I have had my share of bad takes and dumb sh!t, but coming in here when the team is starting to show some positive signs to say sh!t like our star player is just going to leave first chance he gets is wholly unproductive and only aims to stir the masses.

I doubt Nico plays tomorrow. I hope he's alright.

Edited by NJDevils1214

16 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

But at least we were in the conversation almost every season.

Maybe didn’t make it out of first round after ‘07-‘08 except for 2012 which was fun as hell and made me hate the Kings ever since when I never had a bad thought about them before that.

Might have been in the conversation in 08-10 but that also involved getting smoked in 5 by the rangers and flyers and one of the worst collapses in a game 7 in playoff history to Carolina, hell I'd almost rather just be sh!t all year and out of the conversation entirely than deal with those miserable experiences. 

Prudential as an overall whole has been a miserable experience in terms of on ice product. This is our 14th season there and besides 2012 we have never made it past the first round and only made the playoffs 5x with 3 of those years being out in 5 games. 

Playoff record without 2012 is 4-8(1 ot loss)

Playoff record in 2012 was still 7-4(2 ot losses) for a total of 11-12(3 ot losses) 

It's been bad even with 2012 but taking that out and its truly been a house of horrors, which is really unfortunate because the arena absolutely rocks when this team actually does something worth cheering for. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Only one goal for that bust Zacha? Unbelievable.

As for the Smith debate, he had a few bad training camps in a row before this year. I'm not sure why it would have been a good idea to call him up any sooner than we did. Nothing wrong with letting these guys develop

His first TC was actually really good, and sending him back down was a tough decision for Shero/Hynes (remember that BTS show on NHL Network where they told him in a hotel room and he was super pissed? Lol). He had a rough camp last year though.

Anyway, regardless of how we got here, kid is a stud. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Has nothing to do with a singular game my friend. Has to do with his brothers and a team with a better roster. If Luke ends up with Vancouver. I’m not saying it’s going to happen but if Luke ends up with Vancouver you don’t think Jack will seriously look at that??? 

of course he will. 

D6F61CD4-D0DF-41B0-AEDC-F7E809B33173.gif

• Like 3

His first TC was actually really good, and sending him back down was a tough decision for Shero/Hynes (remember that BTS show on NHL Network where they told him in a hotel room and he was super pissed? Lol). He had a rough camp last year though.

Anyway, regardless of how we got here, kid is a stud. 

You are correct, sir. I misremembered the first one. I think it was best to send him down regardless, but yeah now that you mention the BTS show I remember that scene