The Jack Hughes Contract Extension Thread 8Yrs 8mill AAV

mfitz804

2 minutes ago, point said:

It's  such a relief from the the Lou years, when he apparently relished playing chicken with players. 

With the RFAs you can get away with that, but yeah, not gonna lie, glad there’s no holding out, things getting tense, etc.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

“I want people to know that the New Jersey Devils are going to have 2 out of 3 Hughes brothers working for them”

image.gif.0435982093cb15f3b9d20cdcd0d38d5f.gif

This is fvcking brilliant.  Just sayin’.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Great quotes from Jack:

"I think this contract shows that the team is extremely invested in me, and I'm really dedicated to the organization. Mutually, we're both really excited."

"I will have lived here at least 11 years by the end of this contract," Hughes said. "I've dedicated most of my adult life to New Jersey."

"There are a lot of 86 (jerseys) out there when I look around," Hughes said. "The fans really appreciate me here. I'm just extremely thankful to be a New Jersey Devil. The fans are awesome. They've treated me like gold ever since I've come here.

"Now I have to return the favor and be a star for the next decade. I know it'll come, and I know it'll happen. It's an extremely exciting time in New Jersey."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Great quotes from Jack:

"I think this contract shows that the team is extremely invested in me, and I'm really dedicated to the organization. Mutually, we're both really excited."

"I will have lived here at least 11 years by the end of this contract," Hughes said. "I've dedicated most of my adult life to New Jersey."

"There are a lot of 86 (jerseys) out there when I look around," Hughes said. "The fans really appreciate me here. I'm just extremely thankful to be a New Jersey Devil. The fans are awesome. They've treated me like gold ever since I've come here.

"Now I have to return the favor and be a star for the next decade. I know it'll come, and I know it'll happen. It's an extremely exciting time in New Jersey."

Love it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Great quotes from Jack:

I like the way Jack thinks that 11 years is most of his adult life. You can tell the dude is still only 20. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Great quotes from Jack:

This makes me wanna run through a brick wall for him. Absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

I have had a couple of days to digest this contract now and I have to admit that I am equal parts excited and apprehensive about this deal. 

If Jack becomes the player we all know he has the potential to become then the deal is fine. But we have 100% paid on potential and not actual output.  This wouldnt be so bad if we hadn't already done something similar with Nico. 

This isn't a deal for Dougie where you know what you are getting , and it worrys me we could be paying a combined $15.25 million dollars for players who should only be worth $10 million max. That $5 million could be a decent chunk of a Mercer down the line. 

That being said I understand why you would want that deal. It's interesting to see that Vancouver went with a sort of bridging deal with Pettersson which means he is being paid similar money to Nico, but is UFA in 2024. If he continues to be a game changer and Vancouver continue to absolutely suck then there is every chance he walks . 

12 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I have had a couple of days to digest this contract now and I have to admit that I am equal parts excited and apprehensive about this deal. 

If Jack becomes the player we all know he has the potential to become then the deal is fine. But we have 100% paid on potential and not actual output.  This wouldnt be so bad if we hadn't already done something similar with Nico. 

This isn't a deal for Dougie where you know what you are getting , and it worrys me we could be paying a combined $15.25 million dollars for players who should only be worth $10 million max. That $5 million could be a decent chunk of a Mercer down the line. 

That being said I understand why you would want that deal. It's interesting to see that Vancouver went with a sort of bridging deal with Pettersson which means he is being paid similar money to Nico, but is UFA in 2024. If he continues to be a game changer and Vancouver continue to absolutely suck then there is every chance he walks . 

That’s a risk you have to take in today’s NHL. It’s just so hard to say anything about Jack when he’s only played two shortened seasons where he may or may not have also had Covid (I don’t recall if he tested positive), and now one where he missed significant time due to injury (and we don’t know the extent of his recovery therefrom). 

Which, of course, was the central point of my starting this thread. We are really coming out of Jack’s ELC seeing his potential, but not really having a good feel for what he’ll accomplish based on his actual play. 

To some extent you knew he was getting paid based on potential, after all pretty much everyone his age coming out of their ELC does, at least in part. But in Jack’s case, that potential is less determinable than it would have been if he had two healthy 82 game seasons and he wasn’t hurt this year.

The deal shows that the organization has tremendous faith in his abilities. I hope they are right. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s a risk you have to take in today’s NHL. It’s just so hard to say anything about Jack when he’s only played two shortened seasons where he may or may not have also had Covid (I don’t recall if he tested positive), and now one where he missed significant time due to injury (and we don’t know the extent of his recovery therefrom). 

Which, of course, was the central point of my starting this thread. We are really coming out of Jack’s ELC seeing his potential, but not really having a good feel for what he’ll accomplish based on his actual play. 

To some extent you knew he was getting paid based on potential, after all pretty much everyone his age coming out of their ELC does, at least in part. But in Jack’s case, that potential is less determinable than it would have been if he had two healthy 82 game seasons and he wasn’t hurt this year.

The deal shows that the organization has tremendous faith in his abilities. I hope they are right. 

Exactly this.  It's give and take for both sides...Jack gets a hell of a lot of coin no matter what he does.  If he reaches what we think his full potential will be, he'll become a relative bargain...still plenty well-paid, but guys who aren't as good will be getting more by Year 4 or 5 of that deal.  Even if this doesn't work out, I still would've done the same at this time.  

From what I’ve read the Hughes family really liked the show of faith and approach Fitzgerald took to the deal. No souring of any player-team relationships that we’ve seen elsewhere in the league. Quinn went through a rough contract process where the Canucks tried to low-ball him and look how that’s soured things.

If Hughes doesn’t live up to his potential then we have bigger problems than overpaying him a couple million.

Anyway, this will be a bargain deal for the Devils in the near future (if not this year already)

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I wouldn't necessarily sign him to a different deal. As I said Pettersson could be case in point where you go short term and then the team isn't where it needs to be and he walks and we don't want to do that with Jack. 

I just found the timing odd, there is a lot of season left and you could see where he is going. I guess it's one of Lou's old adages that if you have time you use it. 

Of all the recent first rounders who have signed deals after their ECL I think the Devil's have both the players who have had the most uncertainty around their career trajectory, apart from Ekblad.