official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

Watching the leafs/rags game and this thought crossed my mind:

Why is Hava Nagila played on the organ of almost every sporting event? Never really had a second thought about it til today, but now it just seems SO ODD to me! 

Edit: site note, now The Final Countdown is playing and I will FOREVER picture Job from Arrested Development dancing and doing magic every time I hear that damn song 🤣

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Watching the leafs/rags game and this thought crossed my mind:

Why is Hava Nagila played on the organ of almost every sporting event? Never really had a second thought about it til today, but now it just seems SO ODD to me! 

I bet the first guy who did it was Jewish and it just stuck. 

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I bet the first guy who did it was Jewish and it just stuck. 

I did some googling and a bunch of different articles speculated that it was a way to get players of Jewish background more comfortable being part of the game, but no concrete history behind it. I think when you boil it down, it's just a damn catchy tune. 

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I did some googling and a bunch of different articles speculated that it was a way to get players of Jewish background more comfortable being part of the game, but no concrete history behind it. I think when you boil it down, it's just a damn catchy tune. 

That’s for sure. Same reason that damn chicken song still gets played. 

On 10/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Not sure if this has been discussed but been watching All or Nothing with the Leafs. Really been enjoying it. Hoping it becomes a regular feature. 

it's kind of like watching the movie Titanic for the first time though.

You know the at the end it will be "nothing"

44 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I was yesterday years old when I realized that I was at Marty’s first ever shutout: the 4-0 win over Anaheim the first time the Devils ever played them. 

Assuming that was in NJ, I was there as well. I was at the first home game vs. the Ducks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

it's kind of like watching the movie Titanic for the first time though.

You know the at the end it will be "nothing"

I mean that made it better. All the optimism from the group knowing how it ended. It's like watching a car crash unfold. 

It has been nice to see the characters at play. Having watched some of the football (soccer) ones in the UK this was quite reserved in terms of content. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Assuming that was in NJ, I was there as well. I was at the first home game vs. the Ducks. 

Same.  Would love to find that pin someday (one day I'll have to see if I still have it).

That Ducks team was actually not half-bad for an expansion team (71 points in 84 GP).  They even beat the Rangers in both of their meetings that season.  

I need a new TV show to binge on Netflix. My criteria are drama, made in America, in English. Nothing foreign, nothing comedic. All of the famous HBO shows and Netflix products I have already seen. 

Ideally, I like to find something with a ton of seasons that I just happen to have overlooked. 

Tell me about a show I may have missed.

58 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I need a new TV show to binge on Netflix. My criteria are drama, made in America, in English. Nothing foreign, nothing comedic. All of the famous HBO shows and Netflix products I have already seen. 

Ideally, I like to find something with a ton of seasons that I just happen to have overlooked. 

into the night was fun. it's in English dubbed. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not on Netflix, but do you watch Succession on HBO? The 3rd season just started back up last week, and it’s soooo good. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s not on Netflix, but do you watch Succession on HBO? The 3rd season just started back up last week, and it’s soooo good. 

Have not watched it. They lost it as a “comedy drama”, how comedic is it? Comedy never really holds my interest, fine for a movie but not a series. 

Have not watched it. They lost it as a “comedy drama”, how comedic is it? Comedy never really holds my interest, fine for a movie but not a series. 

It’s more of a drama with some dark comedy. Most of the comedic elements just center around how despicable all the characters are honestly. 

On 10/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, Nicomo said:

It’s more of a drama with some dark comedy. Most of the comedic elements just center around how despicable all the characters are honestly. 

On 10/22/2021 at 10:38 PM, mfitz804 said:

Perfect!

It was not perfect, I hated it lol.

Now I’m watching Invasion on Apple TV, about an alien invasion.

Spoiler

Several episodes deep, some stuff has blown up, but where the fvck are the aliens? It’s like watching Jurassic Park without the dinosaurs. 

It was not perfect, I hated it lol.

Now I’m watching Invasion on Apple TV, about an alien invasion.

Reveal hidden contents

Several episodes deep, some stuff has blown up, but where the fvck are the aliens? It’s like watching Jurassic Park without the dinosaurs. 

You hated Better Call Saul, Gomorrah, and now Succession? You have terrible taste, and I’m not giving you any more recommendations. :P