official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

2 hours ago, Brewskies said:

KC offense disappeared right at the start of the second half and stay like that for the 2nd half. Why I have zero ideas, total surprise. I thought for a while it was overconfidence at the beginning of the 2nd half, but after one series of down, it kept repeating.

We (I’m a Bengals fan) did the exact same thing to them in week 17. The Chiefs only scored 3 points in the 2nd half of both our matchups with them this season. Major credit has to go to the coaches for making proper halftime adjustments to shut them down. We were only rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage for much of the 2nd half. We had a couple coverage sacks late in the game where Mahomes literally had an eternity before our pass rush got to him, but the DB’s did a great job on Tyreek Hill, Kelce, and the rest of the Chiefs playmakers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

We (I’m a Bengals fan) did the exact same thing to them in week 17. The Chiefs only scored 3 points in the 2nd half of both our matchups with them this season. Major credit has to go to the coaches for making proper halftime adjustments to shut them down. We were only rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage for much of the 2nd half. We had a couple coverage sacks late in the game where Mahomes literally had an eternity before our pass rush got to him, but the DB’s did a great job on Tyreek Hill, Kelce, and the rest of the Chiefs playmakers. 

It has been a long time for Bengal fans. I wish you and them good luck. I would rather see an AFC team win than NFC. Go Bengals. BTW, I never mention the great job the Bengals did in the second half to shut down the KC Offense. Congrats to the Bengals half time defense adjustment. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, point said:

Ocean Ice Palace in Brick NJ was closed for a while after being sold. Lots of cars, mostly SUVs, in the paring lot Saturday. Fmr Devil Jjim Dowd played HS hockey there.

I went to hockey camp there back in the day. Some of the best times of my life. I heard last summer that a new owner was stepping to the plate to keep it open, I hope that’s still the case. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, point said:

Ocean Ice Palace in Brick NJ was closed for a while after being sold. Lots of cars, mostly SUVs, in the paring lot Saturday. Fmr Devil Jjim Dowd played HS hockey there.

One of the new owners, from what I understand, has an interest in at least one minor pro hockey team. I'd have to look it up for more details. I was happy to see a crowded parking lot. No new name on the bldg yet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, point said:

One of the new owners, from what I understand, has an interest in at least one minor pro hockey team. I'd have to look it up for more details. I was happy to see a crowded parking lot. No new name on the bldg yet.

If you count the Devils, that’s two. 

Harmony Hockey Group whose CEO is George Haviland - Mike Haviland's (former Trenton Titans/AHL Head coach/Chicago Blackhawks assistant, rumored multi-time  finalist for the Devils HC job and current Denver College HC) brother is part of the managing group that bought it.  They own the NJ Titans Junior Hockey Club and also owns the rink and swim club in Middletown. They also own the Jersey Whalers hockey club.

https://www.shorenewsnetwork.com/2021/08/23/brick-ocean-ice-palace-sold-new-owner-announces-whats-in-store-for-the-future/.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

Finally got around to watching The Many Saints of Newark today. Did people like this movie?  Aside from the Sopranos tie in, it would not have held my interest at all. There’s barely any coherent story line, the characters are not very interesting, and it really feels like it was a giant waste of two hours. 

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Finally got around to watching The Many Saints of Newark today. Did people like this movie?  Aside from the Sopranos tie in, it would not have held my interest at all. There’s barely any coherent story line, the characters are not very interesting, and it really feels like it was a giant waste of two hours. 

I liked it well enough. And I disagree that the characters weren’t interesting. I thought Dickie was. Vera Farmiga as Livia was the highlight for me though. A couple things at the end that really hit hard 

Spoiler

First that it was Junior that killed Dickie out of pure pettiness. Completely on brand for him, but still pretty fvcked up. 

Also, the fact that Dickie had the medicine for Livia on him when he got killed. Tony desperately wanting to help his mom was really heartbreaking. 

Overall, it was nothing spectacular, and nowhere close to the quality of the series, but it was a solid gangster story set in that universe, imo. I would watch a follow up with Michael Gandolfini if they made one. 

Edited by Nicomo

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Vera Farmiga as Livia was the highlight for me though. 

She is the highlight of anything she is ever in, she is an incredible actress.

The question I asked myself was, would this movie have stood alone if not for the Sopranos content, and the decision I came to was that it would not. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I thought it would have been better as a mini series or something where they could have fleshed the characters out a bit. Some of the ages also didn’t make sense. 

As mentioned by Nicomo though I really liked the twist at the end and thought it put an interesting dynamic into the original show. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Some of the ages also didn’t make sense.

That did bother me. In the show it was implied Silvio and Big pansy were only a little bit older than Tony (Sil was supposed to have been in a crew with Tony, Ralphie, and Jackie as kids). But in the movie he’s already in his 20’s (?) and going bald when Tony is still a little kid? 

Edit: Apparently the site won’t let me type the name of a certain character. :lol:

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That did bother me. In the show it was implied Silvio and Big pansy were only a little bit older than Tony (Sil was supposed to have been in a crew with Tony, Ralphie, and Jackie as kids). But in the movie he’s already in his 20’s (?) and going bald when Tony is still a little kid? 

Edit: Apparently the site won’t let me type the name of a certain character. :lol:

He will now forever be Big Pansy to me 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Rock said:

Saw it so long ago but I remember my general feeling of having liked it.  A highlight for me was the bullet through the hairdo.

Even that they got wrong though. When Janice tells the story in Soprano Home Movies she says Uncle Junior and his gf where in the car. But in the movie it’s Dickie and his wife. Now - I guess it’s possible the writers just want us to assume Janice remembered the details wrong, but it was still a bit weird. 

12 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That sh!t made no sense to me. Other than that, pretty good flick.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Even that they got wrong though. When Janice tells the story in Soprano Home Movies she says Uncle Junior and his gf where in the car. But in the movie it’s Dickie and his wife. Now - I guess it’s possible the writers just want us to assume Janice remembered the details wrong, but it was still a bit weird. 

The writers played the unreliable narrator card.😎