Center Ice/ESPN Plus

devilsadvoc8

I am a noob with what options are out there to see Devils games when living out of market. I live in the Philly area and have FIOS cable service. 

Is Center Ice still a thing or is it all through ESPN + now? I looked up FIOS's website and they are still only mentioning Center Ice for the playoffs last spring. Is it as simple as getting ESPN + added to my cable package ? Is it the same as getting ESPN + on their website for $7/month which seems too cheap. 

I did search the forums for this topic first and didn't find anything. If this belongs elsewhere, I apologize.

I was just looking into this today. It appears that the ESPN+ maybe the only option but there is no info on if they will be showing all the games (not nationally broadcasts) like NHL TV did. $69 for the year for ESPN+ seems cheap with all their content.

Quick google found this.

The out-of-market streaming service NHL.TV will cease to exist, with its functions folded into ESPN+. Starting this fall, all 1,000+ locally broadcast games will be available to ESPN+ subscribers, save local team games (which'll be blacked out). Cable's NHL Center Ice out-of-market service will still exist.Mar 12, 2021

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bostondevil11 said:

I was just looking into this today. It appears that the ESPN+ maybe the only option but there is no info on if they will be showing all the games (not nationally broadcasts) like NHL TV did. $69 for the year for ESPN+ seems cheap with all their content.

Quick google found this.

The out-of-market streaming service NHL.TV will cease to exist, with its functions folded into ESPN+. Starting this fall, all 1,000+ locally broadcast games will be available to ESPN+ subscribers, save local team games (which'll be blacked out). Cable's NHL Center Ice out-of-market service will still exist.Mar 12, 2021

The $70 per year for ESPN+ does seem way too cheap but if that means I get all the Devils broadcasts except for the time when they are playing the Flyers (broadcast locally to me), that may be a pretty good deal. I just can't imagine that Center Ice will be in any way competitive in pricing compared to ESPN + UNLESS not all games will be available on ESPN vs Center Ice which presumably would be all games. 

Thanks for confirming some of my info. I only get the basic cable package and never get the extras so I am a bit out of my element here.

I’ve had Center Ice since the early-mid 00’s, and I plan to keep it as long as it’s available. I like the convenience of being able to record the games on my DVR.

I’m under the impression that ESPN+ will be necessary for the playoffs though. So I’ll probably do the bundle with Disney+ (which I have anyway for Marvel & Star Wars) and Hulu. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve had Center Ice since the early-mid 00’s, and I plan to keep it as long as it’s available. I like the convenience of being able to record the games on my DVR.

I’m under the impression that ESPN+ will be necessary for the playoffs though. So I’ll probably do the bundle with Disney+ (which I have anyway for Marvel & Star Wars) and Hulu. 

Once you have Disney+, it makes almost no sense not to have the bundle, IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Are you watching live though? I know streams are readily available in places but if I'm not at the game unless it's the playoffs I very rarely watch Devils away games live. 

I catch them all on live streams and have since around 2011(for the most part).

I have pretty much always prioritized Devils games, and since moving to Texas in late 2019 I have become even more of a hermit due to covid and having limited friends down here. I work from home too, so no chance I ever get caught at the office late. I just turn on the stream and keep working if I have to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I have Hulu basic (the $12.99 a month package) and Disney+ does anyone know if I can still bundle ESPN?

You 100% can, and if I remember correctly, the way the price works out it may not even cost you anything additional. I believe the bundle price for Hulu with no ads is still $19.99. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:26 PM, Crisis said:

Devils games will be on MSG.  You won't be able to watch them with ESPN+ if you are in MSG territory.

Does anyone know how to get around this? I don't have cable, I have Hulu and ESPN+, but Hulu doesn't stream the MSG channels. Would a VPN do the trick?

7 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Does anyone know how to get around this? I don't have cable, I have Hulu and ESPN+, but Hulu doesn't stream the MSG channels. Would a VPN do the trick?

Yes, VPN should do it if watching from a pc. Not sure if thru a smart tv.

Edited by devlman

NY Post Article

New TV Deal Explained - kind of from March 2021

During the regular season, there will be 75 exclusive games on ESPN+ and Hulu. You will only be able to get them there. So, a year from now, if Rangers-Islanders is one of those 75, you would need to have ESPN+ or Hulu to view it. No MSG Network.

you get the idea. Not cool imo as stated before but whatever.