GDT: 9/29/2021 Devils at Caps: The First Preseason Game of the Magical 2021-2022 Season

Devil Dan 56

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Why.......would both teams use their regular forwards in the shootout, if it's just practice?  Wouldn't you want your new young guys to get a crack at it and practice?  Maybe get their jitters out?  Doesn't seem to make sense at all lol

You're overthinking it. We won the game and the shootout. Enjoy it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

For sure. I think that’s why I remember not loving the pick when we made it, I kept seeing that as his projection. 

I saw second to top line projection. I think he was projected as a third liner for us because as a centerman he would be behind Nico/Jack.

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

I saw second to top line projection. I think he was projected as a third liner for us because as a centerman he would be behind Nico/Jack.

Nah, I remember the draft guys saying 3C when we made the pick. So there was at least some opinions that’s where he projected at. 

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You're overthinking it. We won the game and the shootout. Enjoy it.

What am I overthinking? I just thought the point of a pre-season game/exhibition shootout was to evaluate your new talent.  And...yeah, I enjoy the win...I enjoy all wins. But it's a pre-season game, I'm not going to celebrate it lol.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

What am I overthinking? I just thought the point of a pre-season game/exhibition shootout was to evaluate your new talent.  And...yeah, I enjoy the win...I enjoy all wins. But it's a pre-season game, I'm not going to celebrate it lol.

well its also to hit the ground running early in the season. Every points count and we've been on the losing end of most SO in recent years. 

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Huh? What does that have to do with Gusev?

I'm saying Gusev had a pretty sweet shot and a knack for finding the back of the net, and it appears Holtz does too.  Except we know that Gusev just didn't pan out, for other reasons.  Hence why I said maybe Holtz will be what we thought Gusev could have and should have been....

Just now, SterioDesign said:

well its also to hit the ground running early in the season. Every points count and we've been on the losing end of most SO in recent years. 

Yeah I'm all for building momentum and good morale I suppose, but your last part is essentially my point...you don't get points for pre-season wins lol.  Not complaining in the least, I'm juts kind of curious why the young guys didn't get a look.  If it was me, I'm saying to them "hey guys, here's a great opportunity with no pressure to get used to the shootout at the NHL level - go get 'em and have some fun"

Fun night.  Welcome to the NHL Holtz and Mercer!

Still have zero idea what nASS brings, but no complaints tonight.  We’ve got hockey back, and watching the kids was a blast.

And yeah, Mercer just seems like that kind of player that has a little magic…down special somethin.  Get the feeling he’ll have his share of loud shifts.

• Like 1