2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

11 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

It’s not often you get a Lean on Me reference these days haha. 

I was at the dentist a few weeks ago (in North Florida) and the dental assistant said she’s from Jersey and her husband went to East Side High when Joe Clark was there. She said Joe Clark stopped him and made him sing the school anthem. Kind of random to be a bullsh!t story so I thought it was cool. 

Yeah the Kid Ray thing's been going on for a while now, heh heh.  The second I saw Geertsen (mullet and all), I immediately thought of him as Kid Ray...they're friggin' dopplegangers.  mfitz got the reference immediately when I posted it and as mfitz would, he latched onto it in humorous and appreciative fashion, and it's kinda stuck since .  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Tonight's my first game back in my own seats since March 10, 2020. Pretty excited for this season simply cause I'll be back at almost all of the games again. 

In terms of the on ice product this past decade of sh!t has taught me to expect absolutely nothing.

Either way, LETS GO DEVILS!!! 

Will be in the Lofts for the opening game.  Now due to my daughter's high school schedule (she's a freshman), we're pretty much restricted to Fri, Sat, Sun, and weekday-night-before-holiday games.  Sucks in some ways, but I knew it would eventually go that way, as she got older.  That first year when she's off to college...that's gonna be brutal.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Will be in the Lofts for the opening game.  Now due to my daughter's high school schedule (she's a freshman), we're pretty much restricted to Fri, Sat, Sun, and weekday-night-before-holiday games.  Sucks in some ways, but I knew it would eventually go that way, as she got older.  That first year when she's off to college...that's gonna be brutal.    

Lots of homework or extracurricular activities? I know we talked about this briefly before but I used to do my homework in the Meadowlands parking lot before games so I was always able to make a lot of the weekday games, Prudential doesn't lend to this being as easily done though even with the few lots around the arena. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Lots of homework or extracurricular activities? I know we talked about this briefly before but I used to do my homework in the Meadowlands parking lot before games so I was always able to make a lot of the weekday games, Prudential doesn't lend to this being as easily done though even with the few lots around the arena. 

A bit of both.  Most of her teachers genuinely try not to overdo it with homework, but some nights she's up until almost 10 doing it...occasionally well past that.  To her credit, she's NEVER been one to blow it off or turn in assignments late...she does whatever she has to, to get it all done.

She plays tennis (JV), but that's a short season...only until mid-October.  But colleges want to see that you're involved and busy of course, so she's going to keep trying different extracurriculars.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Definitely understand this, and for my daughter, the extracurriculars enough to cause it. Her school theater program had auditions on DAY TWO of school, she landed a part in the fall comedy, which was limited to 9 kids, and a nice part in the spring musical, which all of the kids do. adding in their Christmas show, rehearsals are every day after school until 6pm basically from now until the end of May. 

Then, she has her two Saturday theater programs, one of which isn’t an issue for games but the other is 2-6pm every week until January. She got the lead in that show so it will be a ton of work. 

And since THAT isn’t enough, she is also teaching a younger kids’ class on Sundays. 

Between all of the commitments and all of the constant singing, I swear a theater kid is like having 3 kids. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely understand this, and for my daughter, the extracurriculars enough to cause it. Her school theater program had auditions on DAY TWO of school, she landed a part in the fall comedy, which was limited to 9 kids, and a nice part in the spring musical, which all of the kids do. adding in their Christmas show, rehearsals are every day after school until 6pm basically from now until the end of May. 

Then, she has her two Saturday theater programs, one of which isn’t an issue for games but the other is 2-6pm every week until January. She got the lead in that show so it will be a ton of work. 

And since THAT isn’t enough, she is also teaching a younger kids’ class on Sundays. 

Between all of the commitments and all of the constant singing, I swear a theater kid is like having 3 kids. 

My kid was part of the ensemble cast for a middle school production of Moana...LOTS of rehearsal time.  She wants to perform again.

So considering the level that YOUR daughter takes it...I can only imagine how much time you spend taking her here, there, watching performances...I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

The good thing is that I really don't feel bad about ponying up for Loft or Restaurant seats (not that I ever really did)...if we're only going to go to 8-12 games this year, might as well go all-out.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My kid was part of the ensemble cast for a middle school production of Moana...LOTS of rehearsal time.  She wants to perform again.

So considering the level that YOUR daughter takes it...I can only imagine how much time you spend taking her here, there, watching performances...I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

The good thing is that I really don't feel bad about ponying up for Loft or Restaurant seats (not that I ever really did)...if we're only going to go to 8-12 games this year, might as well go all-out.

There were times during last school year when she was in FIVE productions at once. So yeah, I sit in cars and wait a lot lol. 

She’s been in many an ensemble, even just this past summer she got called by a director to fill in a couple of ensemble pets for kids who quit. Those are the worst to watch as a parent, when you get to see your kid stand in the background for like 2 minutes and then don’t see them for an hour. 

This lead she got (Legally Blonde) is a really high energy and intense part, it should be a lot of fun. 

I bought Loft tickets to the one game we made it to last year (that was more me just adjusting to the idea of returning, not that her schedule would have allowed it anyway), and it definitely was a cool experience. I’m very likely to do that next time. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There were times during last school year when she was in FIVE productions at once. So yeah, I sit in cars and wait a lot lol. 

She’s been in many an ensemble, even just this past summer she got called by a director to fill in a couple of ensemble pets for kids who quit. Those are the worst to watch as a parent, when you get to see your kid stand in the background for like 2 minutes and then don’t see them for an hour. 

This lead she got (Legally Blonde) is a really high energy and intense part, it should be a lot of fun. 

I bought Loft tickets to the one game we made it to last year (that was more me just adjusting to the idea of returning, not that her schedule would have allowed it anyway), and it definitely was a cool experience. I’m very likely to do that next time. 

Now you understand how Geertsen's parents are feeling when they go watch his games

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

I have a feeling Sharangovich is about to become a 3rd liner. I won’t get too excited about Holtz yet but I fully expect Holtz to take his spot on the first line by the end of the year if not start of the season. 

I like Rango but I’ve always felt like Hughes needed someone a little better to put up good numbers. Maybe he’ll make line 2 with Hischier and Bratt. But then Mercer is on the 3rd line? 

I guess this is a good problem to have.

They are certainly giving Holtz every opportunity to make the team on the top line. Hopefully he succeeds because that would really give us some great depth having Sharangovich or Mercer on the 3rd line 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

They are certainly giving Holtz every opportunity to make the team on the top line. Hopefully he succeeds because that would really give us some great depth having Sharangovich or Mercer on the 3rd line 

Thats what ive been saying for awhile. If we can have Mercer or Sharangovich on the 3rd line. Man that'd be a crazy above average top line and crazy good depth. That's how you win.

But many are 500% against having Mercer outside of the top 6. I guess this year will show where he really stands

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Thats what ive been saying for awhile. If we can have Mercer or Sharangovich on the 3rd line. Man that'd be a crazy above average top line and crazy good depth. That's how you win.

But many are 500% against having Mercer outside of the top 6. I guess this year will show where he really stands

Yeah at his age I see no problem with him on the 3rd line. He’ll get plenty of chances in the top 6 even if he starts the season on the 3rd. He’s way ahead of the curve already playing a full NHL season at his age and draft position 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Who plays with Nico and Bratt though? One of the two will probably be on the right side of that line.

Then maybe the 3rd line is Zetterlund in the middle with Wood or Tatar on one side and then one of Rango or Mercer on the right. Or Mercer in middle if he’s on the 3rd line.

3 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Who plays with Nico and Bratt though? One of the two will probably be on the right side of that line.

Then maybe the 3rd line is Zetterlund in the middle with Wood or Tatar on one side and then one of Rango or Mercer on the right. Or Mercer in middle if he’s on the 3rd line.

well many coaches build their lineups around duos and not necessarely trios. If you can have 3-4 really strong duos with a complementary players on their wings. You're golden

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A bit of both.  Most of her teachers genuinely try not to overdo it with homework, but some nights she's up until almost 10 doing it...occasionally well past that.  To her credit, she's NEVER been one to blow it off or turn in assignments late...she does whatever she has to, to get it all done.

She plays tennis (JV), but that's a short season...only until mid-October.  But colleges want to see that you're involved and busy of course, so she's going to keep trying different extracurriculars.  

Oh wow I don't really remember getting that much homework to that extent that I was doing it that late unless it was a project that I waited last minute to do which was my fault lol

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well many coaches build their lineups around duos and not necessarely trios. If you can have 3-4 really strong duos with a complementary players on their wings. You're golden

I like the idea but I guess we have to hope Mercer and Rango have good chemistry without Jack. 

46 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah that’s a lot of words for what is supposed to be cramps  

See you in December, Nico!! 

And then again in March.

37 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah at his age I see no problem with him on the 3rd line. He’ll get plenty of chances in the top 6 even if he starts the season on the 3rd. He’s way ahead of the curve already playing a full NHL season at his age and draft position 

He already has to slot in for Nico on a higher line lol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

My sister can relate; she was a theatre kid, and now she’s a mother of one. The rehearsals and commitments never stop lol

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1