2022 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d say Geertsen, Nemec, Thompson should be the 3 cuts but who knows. I’m pretty sure Thompson isn’t waiver eligible 

I agree that those should be the cuts. But this team seems to love Geertsen, unfortunately, so I imagine they're still thinking about that one. Thompson and Nemec should be going to Utica without question, though. That leaves Boqvist, Geertsen, and Holtz. If Holtz records a point or two tonight, they will not send him down. I also think they will not risk losing Boqvist on waivers, so they will be forced to cut Geertsen. If Holtz doesn't have a strong game, he might be going back to Utica. No waiver eligibility for Holtz means they can keep everyone else. The best move for the team and Holtz's development is to keep him in the NHL though, in my opinion. Holtz probably has little to get out of the AHL at this point.

They practiced power play yesterday and Holtz was not on either unit. I have a suspicion that he won't be in a favorable position to succeed tonight, which will make it a challenge for him to make a good case for himself. It would be too bad if Holtz is on his way out because he has had 3 really strong games, despite not showing up on the score sheet much.

21 minutes ago, nessus said:

I agree that those should be the cuts. But this team seems to love Geertsen, unfortunately, so I imagine they're still thinking about that one. Thompson and Nemec should be going to Utica without question, though. That leaves Boqvist, Geertsen, and Holtz. If Holtz records a point or two tonight, they will not send him down. I also think they will not risk losing Boqvist on waivers, so they will be forced to cut Geertsen. If Holtz doesn't have a strong game, he might be going back to Utica. No waiver eligibility for Holtz means they can keep everyone else. The best move for the team and Holtz's development is to keep him in the NHL though, in my opinion. Holtz probably has little to get out of the AHL at this point.

They practiced power play yesterday and Holtz was not on either unit. I have a suspicion that he won't be in a favorable position to succeed tonight, which will make it a challenge for him to make a good case for himself. It would be too bad if Holtz is on his way out because he has had 3 really strong games, despite not showing up on the score sheet much.

I thought Holtz performance since the prospect tournament has been kind of meh warm. He shows up for one or two plays a game and then is only really noticeable to me when he blows a tire or misses the net. I am not saying that he's just not ready but he's not looked to have taken that next step to me that I would have liked to see. He isn't really helping drive the play or taking an opportunity when not with Jack to help carry his line at all. His games in Utica he looks like a different player, one that can do more than just shoot the puck, but that isn't really translating at this level... Yet.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, nessus said:

I don’t think Holtz has much else to do in Utica. I’d much rather have him up here working with Brylin,  who helped Sharangovich a lot. 

Id also think that a young learning Holtz does more for an NHL team than 3 minutes of Geertsen skating around every night. Wood and Bastian can bring whatever toughness Geertsen has and can also contribute offensively here and there

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

That was an awful PP.

This last one wasn’t much better.

Holtz with a disappointing preseason…just hasn’t stood out at all.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Holtz with a disappointing preseason…just hasn’t stood out at all.  

So you are saying he’s not making the roster based on two scrimmages?? 😌

14 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

That was an awful PP.

Something I have never heard…

Well Holtz finished that one off.  Right place right time kind of goal, but he buried it well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well Holtz finished that one off.  Right place right time kind of goal, but he buried it well.

I think he has improved his skating to the point where he is a real threat out there. Maybe just not a Jesper Bratt/Jack Hughes level of a threat, but he is getting there. Last year training camp he wasn't this fast. 

Edited by RizzMB30
for clarity, oops
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Too many men penalties going to be an issue this year too?

Devils are still going to have to get a real head coach one of these years.