Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

Kaprisov deal is only starting point. When they talked about the deal with Fitz this summer I told it`s good to repeat thomas\norris\tkachuk\etc deals. Good we have cap raise in the next years.

And even when Devils started to play good, people start to play in EA management. Meier trade can happen, but it isn`t good move. Meier isn`t consistent and will bring 10+ goals than Sharangovich(in the good season). And will cost 3-4 millions more. Deals of Hughes, Mercer and Nemec are ahead of us, Shakir`s future is interesting, Zetterlund is a question in a good way, Holtz has good potential and very young, some players needs more time, talent is there, that was not so hard to see it. And Nico new deal is far from today but this day will come. And goalie question is still exist. If Vanecek is the answer - his salary will goes up.

Ofcourse Meier isn`t as bad idea as Gaudreau or Forsberg(those ideas were really bad ones), but still isn`t great money management. And asset management. Devils have nothing to replace Nico and Jack in injury cases, Mercer is bad center for now and for few next years I believe. 

I hope Fitz will contunie to make steps in the same direction as he did, I understanded his logic and he was predictable, in a good way. 

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

bratt probably told them that if they wanted him for 8 years the AAV needed to start with a 9. My guess is the Devils offered an 8 year deal worth 6.5ish. 

Or at minimum, the same deal Jack got. Honestly, if he continues doing what he has done over the last 82 games (copyright @Colorado Rockies 1976), I don’t know why he would take or how the team could justify less. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Or at minimum, the same deal Jack got. Honestly, if he continues doing what he has done over the last 82 games (copyright @Colorado Rockies 1976), I don’t know why he would take or how the team could justify less. 

yeah he just needs to not fall off a cliff (literally or figuratively) and i’ll be happy with whatever he gets. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m just happy we have stars we have to pay. It was never difficult to work out Bobby Farnham’s deal. 

In the true meaning of the word, it absolutely was difficult to work out Bobby Farnham's deal. It was agonizingly difficult. 

In terms of the value, I do think Kaprizov is a good comp. He obviously had more production than Bratt (159 points in 136 games, and was coming off of a near-50 goal season). They'll also be the same age (Bratt a few months younger). 

If Kaprizov got 5/45 (9m AAV), I wonder if the Devils offer Bratt 6/50 (8.3m AAV). That lets them stagger his contract expiry to be right in between Nico and Jack, and keeps the main pieces of this forward core all signed for a long, long time. 

14 hours ago, Guadana said:

And even when Devils started to play good, people start to play in EA management. Meier trade can happen, but it isn`t good move. Meier isn`t consistent and will bring 10+ goals than Sharangovich(in the good season). And will cost 3-4 millions more. Deals of Hughes, Mercer and Nemec are ahead of us, Shakir`s future is interesting, Zetterlund is a question in a good way, Holtz has good potential and very young, some players needs more time, talent is there, that was not so hard to see it. And Nico new deal is far from today but this day will come. And goalie question is still exist. If Vanecek is the answer - his salary will goes up.

Ofcourse Meier isn`t as bad idea as Gaudreau or Forsberg(those ideas were really bad ones), but still isn`t great money management. And asset management. Devils have nothing to replace Nico and Jack in injury cases, Mercer is bad center for now and for few next years I believe. 

I don't understand why you wouldn't want Meier. "If Jack or Nico gets hurt we're screwed" isn't a good answer, unless you're proposing the Devils go out and sign an expensive Center instead? As it stands, they can shift Mercer to center and, if they keep Haula, he's been a productive top-6 center in his career. 

Meier seems like a perfect fit on Nico's wing. He's got great chemistry with his countryman at the World's, he plays a stellar two-way game, has the hands to bury the puck. And in the Sharks latest Cup run, he showed the ability to be a "playoff player". He was great at getting in the dirty areas, and had 15 points in 20 games. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m just happy we have stars we have to pay.

Also happy that things have lined up well enough that worrying about how to pay everyone (depending on if the Devils take on any unforeseen added big contracts) really won't be an issue until L Hughes' and Nemec's ELCs are up.  That's almost four seasons away.

That being said, the one position we all keep leaving out, as far as contracts go, is goaltending.  Not much money tied up in that position at all.  We'll see if that ever changes.    

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I don't understand why you wouldn't want Meier. "If Jack or Nico gets hurt we're screwed" isn't a good answer, unless you're proposing the Devils go out and sign an expensive Center instead? As it stands, they can shift Mercer to center and, if they keep Haula, he's been a productive top-6 center in his career. 

Meier seems like a perfect fit on Nico's wing. He's got great chemistry with his countryman at the World's, he plays a stellar two-way game, has the hands to bury the puck. And in the Sharks latest Cup run, he showed the ability to be a "playoff player". He was great at getting in the dirty areas, and had 15 points in 20 games. 

The answer is cap manegement. Meier will got 8-9 mil for 7-8 years. His production isn`t consistent. In this period of time Devils should sign new deals with Sharangovich(who should sign 3-3.5 less mil $ and will score 5-10 less goals only), Mercer(evrything is going for big numbers), Hischier, Luke and Nemec. Luke and Simon are question marks, but we see how many millions high picked defensemen got. The real question mark is goaltending. If Vanecek is answer, Devils will give him more money, if not - they should spend some cash for goalie(s). And bottom line players is a thing that brings big wins.  

Meier will cost us Holtz+1st may be + Sharangovich. I don`t think that Meier with 8-9 mil under the cap will bring us more than Sharangovich, Holtz, and potential center from the next draft. I don`t like how it is working on production level, on cap hit. I think it`s too much of talent for less talent. But at least I think Meier is a legit top-6 player, young enough and his prime mathes much more. Reason why I can live with that. 

But I prefer to give time to Zetterlund, Sharangovich, Holtz and future first round pick. They will give more, the next few years will cost less in total, and depth is one of the most important keys to success. Of course if they will ask Holtz+Shakir+2nd round pick\Casey, I`m in. But we know they will ask much more.

Edited by Guadana

19 minutes ago, Guadana said:

The answer is cap manegement. Meier will got 8-9 mil for 7-8 years. His production isn`t consistent. In this period of time Devils should sign new deals with Sharangovich(who should sign 3-3.5 less mil $ and will score 5-10 less goals only), Mercer(evrything is going for big numbers), Hischier, Luke and Nemec. Luke and Simon are question marks, but we see how many millions high picked defensemen got. The real question mark is goaltending. If Vanecek is answer, Devils will give him more money, if not - they should spend some cash for goalie(s). And bottom line players is a thing that brings big wins.  

Meier will cost us Holtz+1st may be + Sharangovich. I don`t think that Meier with 8-9 mil under the cap will bring us more than Sharangovich, Holtz, and potential center from the next draft. I don`t like how it is working on production level, on cap hit. I think it`s too much of talent for less talent. But at least I think Meier is a legit top-6 player, young enough and his prime mathes much more. Reason why I can live with that. 

But I prefer to give time to Zetterlund, Sharangovich, Holtz and future first round pick. They will give more, the next few years will cost less in total, and depth is one of the most important keys to success. Of course if they will ask Holtz+Shakir+2nd round pick\Casey, I`m in. But we know they will ask much more.

There is no way in high holy hell that RFA Timo Meier who carries a QO of $10m will cost Holtz, Sharangovich and a 1st. If that’s the package it takes for what should be treated as a rental player, the Devils should steer way, way, way clear. 

Just now, MB3 said:

There is no way in high holy hell that RFA Timo Meier who carries a QO of $10m will cost Holtz, Sharangovich and a 1st. If that’s the package it takes for what should be treated as a rental player, the Devils should steer way, way, way clear. 

That does seem like an awful lot.  

Just now, mfitz804 said:

That does seem like an awful lot.  

Assuming Timo is definitely signing with the Devils, I can see Holtz and Sharangovich (and maaaaaaaybe some throw-in...say Walsh) going the other way.  I'm not giving them anything more than that.  

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

So does this mean Blackwood is still questionable or is this more giving Bernier a shot if someone doodoos the sheets?

I think it’s more giving Bernier a shot to rotate in. We are pretty close to his estimated return date. I guess they’ll send Bernier down for some conditioning starts at some point and then have to figure out the the cap and 3 goalies

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So WTF happens when he’s ready? 

They are only 2 million away from the cap and Bernier is a 4.25 hit so something will have to happen to clear up that space. Unless Palat is injured very long term, which is  unfortunately very possible 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

They are only 2 million away from the cap and Bernier is a 4.25 hit I think so something will have to happen. Unless Palat is injured very long term 

Do we really need to carry three goalies? I understand the inclination after last season, but having three goalies on the active roster makes no sense. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Do we really need to carry three goalies? I understand the inclination after last season, but having three goalies on the active roster makes no sense. 

It doesn't but they'll have to make a decision. Vanecek looks like the  guy who stays no matter what so it'll most  likely come down to Bernier or Blackwood. Blackwood probably has more trade value but Bernier is more expensive, older, and coming off a serious injury. So I guess it comes down to who they can get rid of and who they trust more. I’d prefer Vanecek and Blackwood for this season because Schneider has me terrified of hip injuries 

• Like 2