Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

26 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

It doesn’t always work like that.  It didn’t work like that for Crosby, Mallon, Pekka, Marchand, Bergeron, Benn, Kane, etc.  The list for how you understand it, is much shorter.  You are wrong, it doesn’t have to be that way.  If Bratt simply wants to maximize his earnings, then I don’t expect him to be a Devil long term.  Nico is their best all around player and Hughes is their star.  No way is Bratt making more than either.

How many of those guys locked in long term after being the leading scorer on a basement team? 

If they intend to retain Bratt, they will have to pay him what he is worth, and Nico/Jack numbers are both below that number. 

I’m not looking at those guys when I look at Jesper’s next contract. 

I think a guy like Kevin Fiala is a perfect model. 7/55 is what he just got. He had 131g/174p/305p in 442 games entering his final RFA contract year as a 26 year old. 

Bratt will probably end up with ~288 points in ~388 games entering his final RFA contract year as a 25 year old.

They don’t necessarily need to pay him more than Hughes. I think 7/55 probably gets it done, which is just a tiny little hair below Jack’s AAV.

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think a guy like Kevin Fiala is a perfect model. 7/55 is what he just got. He had 131g/174p/305p in 442 games entering his final RFA contract year as a 26 year old. 

Bratt will probably end up with ~288 points in ~388 games entering his final RFA contract year as a 25 year old.

They don’t necessarily need to pay him more than Hughes. I think 7/55 probably gets it done, which is just a tiny little hair below Jack’s AAV.

The reason I don’t think it gets done is cause he is worth more than that on the open market if he keeps his current pace of play. This season (presumably) when paired with last season will show a significant upward trajectory in terms of production. Couple that with inherent inflation and I think his value is gonna be $1-2m higher

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think if 7/55 would get it done, it would already be done. 

44 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The reason I don’t think it gets done is cause he is worth more than that on the open market if he keeps his current pace of play. This season (presumably) when paired with last season will show a significant upward trajectory in terms of production. Couple that with inherent inflation and I think his value is gonna be $1-2m higher

he’s not on the open market this off-season. maybe he waits to bet on himself one more season but that seems risky.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He already won the bet this season, to try to go back to that well would be borderline reckless. 

I agree. Which is why my point to jagknife is: if he’s not on the open market, why would the devils need to pay him like he’s on the open market? 

I actually don’t think Fitz had ever offered a 7/56 type deal. Again, who knows, but that’s a massive commitment and I’m not convinced the Devils felt comfortable with that after really only 1 season of stellar play.

I am confident the Devils will offer him that kind of money now, though.

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I agree. Which is why my point to jagknife is: if he’s not on the open market, why would the devils need to pay him like he’s on the open market? 

I actually don’t think Fitz had ever offered a 7/56 type deal. Again, who knows, but that’s a massive commitment and I’m not convinced the Devils felt comfortable with that after really only 1 season of stellar play.

The reason why it matters what he’ll get on the open market is he can take the qualifying offer next summer if the Devils don’t pay him what he thinks he deserves, and walk himself to a big payday.

The Devils absolutely do not have to pay him, you’re right, but a third set of ugly low-balling negotiations would be insulting to the player and I could see that being the death blow to seal him being gone.

i don’t think it should be an absurd overpayment, but the gotta pay him if they want to buy UFA seasons.

31 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Because you are trying to avoid another 1 year deal and letting him walk into UFA. While it would be reckless, all evidence is that Bratt doesn’t mind negotiating that way. 

Fitz probably hasn’t offered 7/55 (or 7/56, you added another million). If Bratt’s agent called him up and asked for that, I think an extension would be signed very shortly after that call. Bratt will be looking for $9.5m. I don’t think he gets it (at least not from us), but that’s what he will be asking for. Hopefully we can negotiate down from there. 

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That is correct, from a fan perspective. I hate it too. But, I understand how things work. The idea that Jasper should have locked into a long-term deal here for less money isn’t in his best interest. If he had been offered Nico or Jack money, then I would say we have something to talk about. The fact that he was offered figure that is probably significantly lower than he is worth is also part of the equation.

Then why did Jack and Nico go for it? Guys with their pedigree. Are they dumb and their agents are sh!t for not playing that game too or they have fair agents who simply guided them through the process and find a deal that'd be beneficial for everyone involved?

I know its easy to say this sitting from here. But we already have our captain and face of the franchise who took deal for the best of the team. We have Siegenthaler who did the same. I'd say there's other guys on the team who are on good deals. I'd love to think Luke Hughes in time might feel that way too being able to play with his brother and compete for a cup. It just doesnt sit right with me to have this player's negotiations being about pinching every single penny he can get. Hell we fvcking brought his brother here too. We drafted him. I love Bratt but this is slightly pissing me off

Edited by SterioDesign

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Then why did Jack and Nico go for it? Guys with their pedigree. Are they dumb and their agents are sh!t for not playing that game too or they have fair agents who simply guided them through the process and find a deal that'd be beneficial for everyone involved?

I know its easy to say this sitting from here. But we already have our captain and face of the franchise who took deal for the best of the team. We have Siegenthaler who did the same. I'd say there's other guys on the team who are on good deals. I'd love to think Luke Hughes in time might feel that way too being able to play with his brother and compete for a cup. It just doesnt sit right with me to have this player's negotiations being about pinching every single penny he can get. Hell we fvcking brought his brother here too. We drafted him. I love Bratt but this is slightly pissing me off

Or, perhaps, not everyone thinks exactly the same. There is zero question that at least Jack left money on the table. Maybe it’s important to him to be here and win here, and maybe it’s not as important to Bratt. I know you want to pin everything on the agents, but honestly, I don’t think they have as much influence on players’ decisions as you do. Nico and Jack’s agents definitely didn’t suggest that they should make LESS money without Nico and Jack telling them this is what they want. 

Of course, maybe Bratt has the same desire, and maybe he does end up taking less than what he deserves. It certainly doesn’t look like that is the most important thing to him. But if he doesn’t take less to stay I certainly understand. I’ll be annoyed, I’ll hate him like I did Parise, but I will get what he’s doing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Or, perhaps, not everyone thinks exactly the same. There is zero question that at least Jack left money on the table. Maybe it’s important to him to be here and win here, and maybe it’s not as important to Bratt. I know you want to pin everything on the agents, but honestly, I don’t think they have as much influence on players’ decisions as you do. Nico and Jack’s agents definitely didn’t suggest that they should make LESS money without Nico and Jack telling them this is what they want. 

Of course, maybe Bratt has the same desire, and maybe he does end up taking less than what he deserves. It certainly doesn’t look like that is the most important thing to him. But if he doesn’t take less to stay I certainly understand. I’ll be annoyed, I’ll hate him like I did Parise, but I will get what he’s doing. 

If he strings this sh!t out like Parise did, zero question I'll hate him too.

Crosby has now famously said basically that team friendly discounts only work if eveery one buys into the mentality. Nico bought it, Jack clearly did, Siegs, etc. I'd love to keep Bratt, almost regardless of the cost because we know he works here. We KNOW he can gel with nearly everyone on the roster and can produce in Lindy and Brunette's system. The way I'm seeing this, Jack and Nico are doing what Letang and Crosby did when their time for extensions came up, Bratt is our Malkin, a team guy who wants his money and will probably get more than our Crosby (Jack in this analogy) and that's okay.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jagknife said:

If he strings this sh!t out like Parise did, zero question I'll hate him too.

Crosby has now famously said basically that team friendly discounts only work if eveery one buys into the mentality. Nico bought it, Jack clearly did, Siegs, etc. I'd love to keep Bratt, almost regardless of the cost because we know he works here. We KNOW he can gel with nearly everyone on the roster and can produce in Lindy and Brunette's system. The way I'm seeing this, Jack and Nico are doing what Letang and Crosby did when their time for extensions came up, Bratt is our Malkin, a team guy who wants his money and will probably get more than our Crosby (Jack in this analogy) and that's okay.

That’s what I think, a guy who is more money hungry but still wants to stay can point to the fact that you have your two biggest stars locked up for years on team friendly deals, so you have the extra money. 

May not be the best thing or the right thing, but he’s not wrong. 

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s what I think, a guy who is more money hungry but still wants to stay can point to the fact that you have your two biggest stars locked up for years on team friendly deals, so you have the extra money. 

May not be the best thing or the right thing, but he’s not wrong. 

The Devils can especially pull off having to pay more for Bratt because they'll have a couple of kids in L Hughes and Nemec getting ELC money for three seasons, and it's potentially looking like Dawson and Holtz will be getting team-friendly shorter-term bridge deals, when the time comes (of course that can change if either or both suddenly figure it out...probably too early to make this call).  The Devils also don't have much money wrapped up in their goalies for the next few seasons.  Outside of Bratt, no one from within figures to get top dollar in the immediate future.  

Will be interesting to see what Sharangovich is looking for.  I'm guessing $4-4.5 AAV for him?  Also if Fitz decides to re-sign Graves.  I think we pretty much all agree that Seves is a goner...what sucks for him is that I'm sure teams have noticed he's basically now a 3rd-line guy who might be better off playing less (he's now playing 6 minutes less per game than last season)...also doesn't help that he's a career -131 and on a team that's loaded with positive +/- ratings, he's somehow STILL a minus player (the only other regular to share that distinction is, of course, Brendan Smith).  He may not be getting long-term, Top 4 money as a UFA.     

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils can especially pull off having to pay more for Bratt because they'll have a couple of kids in L Hughes and Nemec getting ELC money for three seasons, and it's potentially looking like Dawson and Holtz will be getting team-friendly shorter-term bridge deals, when the time comes (of course that can change if either or both suddenly figure it out...probably too early to make this call).  The Devils also don't have much money wrapped up in their goalies for the next few seasons.  Outside of Bratt, no one from within figures to get top dollar in the immediate future.  

Will be interesting to see what Sharangovich is looking for.  I'm guessing $4-4.5 AAV for him?  Also if Fitz decides to re-sign Graves.  I think we pretty much all agree that Seves is a goner...what sucks for him is that I'm sure teams have noticed he's basically now a 3rd-line guy who might be better off playing less (he's now playing 6 minutes less per game than last season)...also doesn't help that he's a career -131 and on a team that's loaded with positive +/- ratings, he's somehow STILL a minus player (the only other regular to share that distinction is, of course, Brendan Smith).  He may not be getting long-term, Top 4 money as a UFA.     

If Sharangovich wants 4.5, I don’t think I want Sharangovich haha. He’s obviously got a great shot but he doesn’t really do anything else at a top-6 level, which is why he doesn’t spend much time in the top-6.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If Sharangovich wants 4.5, I don’t think I want Sharangovich haha. He’s obviously got a great shot but he doesn’t really do anything else at a top-6 level, which is why he doesn’t spend much time in the top-6.

What do you think he gets?  If he scores 25 or so and puts up 50+ points?  Yeah I don't want to pay too much for him either (he does have limitations), but not sure something in the $3 - 3.9 million range gets it done.  And to his credit he is solid on the PK, and a threat to score on that unit.

I could see three or four years, $4 million AAV.    

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What do you think he gets?  If he scores 25 or so and puts up 50+ points?  Yeah I don't want to pay too much for him either (he does have limitations), but not sure something in the $3 - 3.9 million range gets it done.  And to his credit he is solid on the PK, and a threat to score on that unit.

I think the Devils should look to trade him in the off-season to a team that’s top-6 starving and needs goal scoring. Or maybe in a trade package for a real top-line winger. 

He isn’t a top line winger on a cup contending team because he doesn’t really do anything well other than “make puck go brrrrrrr”. I also don’t think there is room in the lineup for Holtz and Sharangovich to coexist. 

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think that’s probably around the right number for him. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I also don’t think there is room in the lineup for Holtz and Sharangovich to coexist. 

Assuming Holtz can’t improve his game, I would agree, you can only have one or the other of these two. 

Funny, when I saw Daws being called up my first thought was more “Schmid?”  Glad he’s only sick, and not injured.

• Like 1