Your New Jersey Devils Regular Season Thread: 2022-2023 Edition

Crisis

If the Devils don't come away with at least a point tomorrow, I know there will be some borderline panic, but if there's good news, it's that the next four games are pretty winnable:

4/1 @ Blackhawks (3-12-1 in their last 16)

4/2 @ Jets (7-12-2 in their last 21)

4/4 vs Pens (2-6-0 in their last 8 )

4/6 vs Blue Jackets (3-8-1 in their last 12)

At least there's a chance that the Devils could recover from seeing the Rangers tie them up in the standings, if it comes to that.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils don't come away with at least a point tomorrow, I know there will be some borderline panic, but if there's good news, it's that the next four games are pretty winnable:

4/1 @ Blackhawks (3-12-1 in their last 16)

4/2 @ Jets (7-12-2 in their last 21)

4/4 vs Pens (2-6-0 in their last 8 )

4/6 vs Blue Jackets (3-8-1 in their last 12)

At least there's a chance that the Devils could recover from seeing the Rangers tie them up in the standings, if it comes to that.  

You spelled meltdowns wrong. :P

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You spelled meltdowns wrong. :P

If the Devils lose, say, 3-2 in regulation in a very tightly-contested matchup, even though I'll hate losing, I'll live with it, and hope the Devils can get it done over a remaining schedule that really isn't bad at all.

If the Devils come out looking overwhelmed, fall behind quickly and wind up losing 5-3 with a couple of garbage-time goals making the outcome look better than it really was...yeah, I'll be pretty pissed.  Even with the long leash that I've given them most of the season.  And even though the season will be far from over, I'll understand the "in the moment" meltdowns.

I'm hoping for 5-2-1 down the stretch; that gives the Devils 111 points for the season.  Rangers would need 14 points to finish ahead of them.  If the Rangers are able to win 7 out of their remaining 8 games, so be it...but man if the Devils win tomorrow, just like that, if the Devils are able to stay the course that I'm hoping for and can go 4-2-1...Rangers would have to win ALL of their remaining games to pull ahead.

Fingers VERY tightly crossed...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils lose, say, 3-2 in regulation in a very tightly-contested matchup, even though I'll hate losing, I'll live with it, and hope the Devils can get it done over a remaining schedule that really isn't bad at all.

If the Devils come out looking overwhelmed, fall behind quickly and wind up losing 5-3 with a couple of garbage-time goals making the outcome look better than it really was...yeah, I'll be pretty pissed.  Even with the long leash that I've given them most of the season.  And even though the season will be far from over, I'll understand the "in the moment" meltdowns.

I'm hoping for 5-2-1 down the stretch; that gives the Devils 111 points for the season.  Rangers would need 14 points to finish ahead of them.  If the Rangers are able to win 7 out of their remaining 8 games, so be it...but man if the Devils win tomorrow, just like that, if the Devils are able to stay the course that I'm hoping for and can go 4-2-1...Rangers would have to win ALL of their remaining games to pull ahead.

Fingers VERY tightly crossed...

Their schedule is pretty easy if we don't beat them tomorrow, only 2 teams in the playoffs are Toronto and Tampa. The rest they play Buffalo 2x, Washington, Columbus and St. Louis. 

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Their schedule is pretty easy if we don't beat them tomorrow, only 2 teams in the playoffs are Toronto and Tampa. The rest they play Buffalo 2x, Washington, Columbus and St. Louis. 

As we know, teams do stumble against bad teams...ALL of them.  But even though the Rangers schedule isn't too bad, I'm at least glad that the Devils are in the same boat...at least they don't have a buzzsaw to go through, like Carolina just did (9 out of their last 10 games were played against likely playoff teams...they went 4-5-1).  

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Read: full-on whining.

Hopefully everyone remembers that all the Rangers can do at the WORST is tie the Devils in points.  Even if that happens, I want to see where the Devils are after the game against the Blue Jackets…if they were able to do reasonably well against the not-so-fab four they’ll face after the Rangers.  Some will act like it’s all over and the Rangers will just leave the Devils in the dust with a Devils loss tomorrow night, but that’s far from preordained.  

• Like 2

Like I said in another thread....

The Devils have stumbled since the Carolina game (which actually should have been expected since March was a grueling schedule).....

but with the heavy schedule being lessened now.......

maybe it takes playing the Rags for the Devils to get their mojo back. 

At least that is what I hope. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Like I said in another thread....

The Devils have stumbled since the Carolina game (which actually should have been expected since March was a grueling schedule).....

but with the heavy schedule being lessened now.......

maybe it takes playing the Rags for the Devils to get their mojo back. 

At least that is what I hope. 

All things considered, their March hasn't been THAT bad (they're 7-5-3 overall...Canes are 8-6-1 so far...each team has one game left.  Rangers are currently 10-3-1 in March with two games left for the month).

But yeah, would love to see the Devils come away with two points against the Rangers (I don't care how, even if it involves the Rangers coming away with a loser point), and then get on a roll against a softer part of the schedule.  

• Like 1

VV with a .927 save% over his last 7 games, and that includes a shutout against the Canes and allowing just one goal against the Rangers that absolutely was NOT his fault.  Regardless of how “great” he is, he’s had a hell of a year overall for this team.  He’s come up big plenty.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

VV with a .927 save% over his last 7 games, and that includes a shutout against the Canes and allowing just one goal against the Rangers that absolutely was NOT his fault.  Regardless of how “great” he is, he’s had a hell of a year overall for this team.  He’s come up big plenty.

"If we just had consistency in net, this team could be dangerous" "If we had league average goaltending..." were our common themes last year and going into the summer.

VV delivered, and then some. Schmid was a blessing as well. Even  Ole Yeller has managed more wins than losses this year.

Last year was an absolute abomination capped off by the acquisition of a freakin broken goalie who sucked on top of it all. So damn glad we have a guy now who can be at worst middle of the pack and at best, plays like a top third-to-quarter guy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

"If we just had consistency in net, this team could be dangerous" "If we had league average goaltending..." were our common themes last year and going into the summer.

VV delivered, and then some. Schmid was a blessing as well. Even  Ole Yeller has managed more wins than losses this year.

Last year was an absolute abomination capped off by the acquisition of a freakin broken goalie who sucked on top of it all. So damn glad we have a guy now who can be at worst middle of the pack and at best, plays like a top third-to-quarter guy.

And you absolutely CAN win with a guy like that.  Obviously you'll always take an absolute top-end guy (especially if you're able to develop one from within), but something to be said for the guy who can both come up big and isn't really consistently costing his team wins, and can get on extended rolls.  Put it this way...I don't ever look at VV and think "Man, this guy is REALLY a problem!"

That being said, I really hope the Devils have found a young stud in a few years...I'm not sure how much I would want to pay VV once his current contract is up.  But not a question to be answered today.

• Like 2

Devils and Hurricanes each play on the same day for their next five games:

Devils:

4/1 @ Blackhawks

4/2 @ Jets

4/4 vs Penguins

4/6 vs Blue jackets

4/8 @ Bruins

Hurricanes:

4/1 @ Canadiens

4/2 vs Islanders

4/4 vs Senators

4/6 @ Predators

4/8 @ Sabres

Hurricanes FINALLY make up their game in hand on 4/10.  Then both teams resume their "same day play" for their remaining two games:

Devils:  4/11 vs Buffalo, 4/13 @ Capitals

Canes:  4/11 vs Red Wings, 4/13 @ Panthers 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils and Hurricanes each play on the same day for their next five games:

Devils:

4/1 @ Blackhawks

4/2 @ Jets

4/4 vs Penguins

4/6 vs Blue jackets

4/8 @ Bruins

Hurricanes:

4/1 @ Canadiens

4/2 vs Islanders

4/4 vs Senators

4/6 @ Predators

4/8 @ Sabres

Hurricanes FINALLY make up their game in hand on 4/10.  Then both teams resume their "same day play" for their remaining two games:

Devils:  4/11 vs Buffalo, 4/13 @ Capitals

Canes:  4/11 vs Red Wings, 4/13 @ Panthers 

People talking about us playing the Rags in the first round as if it’s a given is very premature. We can play anyone from them to the Isles, Pens or Panthers.

I’m really hoping to get Pittsburgh - Shoddy goaltending and an aging team with no depth. We also play them well. 

Florida would try to goon it up and play us tough.

The Isles don’t scare me but Sorokin does. Similar story with the Rags and sh!tstain. I also don’t want 30% of the building blue for our first home playoff game in years. I hope we can get the full playoff atmosphere experience.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, devlman said:

People talking about us playing the Rags in the first round as if it’s a given is very premature. We can play anyone from them to the Isles, Pens or Panthers.

I’m really hoping to get Pittsburgh - Shoddy goaltending and an aging team with no depth. We also play them well. 

Florida would try to goon it up and play us tough.

The Isles don’t scare me but Sorokin does. Similar story with the Rags and sh!tstain. I also don’t want 30% of the building blue for our first home playoff game in years. I hope we can get the full playoff atmosphere experience.

I agree...Carolina was just SO insanely lights-out for a very long period of time...they went 33-6-3 from late November through early March.  I think it's only just now that fans and media alike are allowing themselves to entertain the idea that maybe the Canes aren't such a sure thing to take the Metro after all...and of course if the Devils or Rangers can squeak past them, that opens up a lot of possibilities, as far as first-series matchups go.

BTW, while the Canes were on that crazy run, the Devils went 25-12-6 and the Rangers went 26-12-5, for reference sake.  

Yeah I'd be afraid of both the Rangers and Isles mostly due to their goaltending.  Devils are a young team, and considering that they're often guilty of "one too many passes" as it is, I could see them starting to overthink if Sorokin or Shesterkin are frustrating them through the first two games of a playoff series.  This year's Penguins remind me of the 2000-01 Pens that fell to the Devils without so much as a whimper...there's names there and guys who can hurt you, but they're just not that great overall and very beatable.  I'm not scared of them much at all.  

• Like 2

The most he's stood out in the past 12 games was the awful turnover during the Islanders game. 1 assist in his past 12 games is not good enough. I wanna see him get it going before the playoffs begin because I'm not convinced he's gonna hit some magical the playoffs have started button.

Don't give a sh!t what these tweets say, this isn't good enough and he should be expected to play better than this...

screenshot_20230401-092223_samsung-inter

Palat still has time to pick it up but yeah I’d like to see it happen soon.  At least he has a history of playoff production.

• Like 2