GDT: Leafs @ Devils, 11/23 7 pm Time To Set A Record

Colorado Rockies 1976

i mean the goalie plays the puck, has his back turned. And a player come from behind him full speed as he literally take his first step to go back in net, the player decides to cut between the goalie and the net, which at that speed is impossible and inevitably makes contact, knocks him down and he the goalie can't get to the net in time.

This is pretty basic and let's admit if we got this scored against us and it was a good goal, fans would throw sh!t on the ice again lol

anyone watching that play no matter who you're cheering for, shouldnt be okay with that being a good goal.

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean the goalie plays the puck, has his back turned. And a player come from behind him full speed as he literally take his first step to go back in net, the player decides to cut between the goalie and the net, which at that speed is impossible and inevitably makes contact, knocks him down and he the goalie can't get to the net in time.

Correct, continuing to skate on the same trajectory, and tucking your arm when you come into contact with the goalie from behind him is NOT a reasonable effort to avoid contact, it is zero effort to avoid contact. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

All that was missing was ‘Today’s purple line is brought to you by…’

And a sponsor’s ad right on the bar. Digital, if possible. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct, continuing to skate on the same trajectory, and tucking your arm when you come into contact with the goalie from behind him is NOT a reasonable effort to avoid contact, it is zero effort to avoid contact. 

Well even before that, like i said in my previous post. At the second he made the decision to try to go between the goalie and the net and not like... along the board. Contact was going to happen at that speed.

On the VERY bright side: it’s thanksgiving, we’re first in the Metro, AND 70% of teams in a playoff position at Thanksgiving, make it.

this team won’t back down from this. They didn’t back down after being down 2-0 and the calls, they aren’t going to make this loss be the cliff.

this team IS different 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Well even before that, like i said in my previous post. At the second he made the decision to try to go between the goalie and the net and not like... along the board. Contact was going to happen at that speed.

Jumping in here: if he rides the board, he goes through Murray or at least clips him and absolutely takes the penalty that SHOULD have been called if the refs deemed contact to be egregious to wave off a goal. That part of the rule, and from the league, was clear.

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Also it cannot be said enough times how bad Brendan Smith is at hockey. The second goal was 100% on him. The turnover to the complete vanishing act after he turns it over…hopefully the end of the streak means it’s the last we see of him.

No dude, he’s awesome. Because advanced stats say so. Disregard that he literally cost us this game* lol. 

*Yes, this can be said about several different occurrences in this game. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think if you watch his feet, Tatar did make a reasonable effort.   

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That is true, but could he have tried to avoid it, still made contact, and gotten away with it? Maybe. But what he did was make no effort to avoid it at all. 

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think if you watch his feet, Tatar did make a reasonable effort.   

It was moving his feet that initiated the contact, so I disagree. Tatar’s left leg hits the right pad, and his left arm is raised and hits his body. His foot only moves after the contact is already made. 

Tatar skates right at him as opposed to trying to avoid him. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Jumping in here: if he rides the board, he goes through Murray or at least clips him and absolutely takes the penalty that SHOULD have been called if the refs deemed contact to be egregious to wave off a goal. That part of the rule, and from the league, was clear.

Hummm im really not sure, he had room all along IMO plus he knew Murray was 100% going to head back to his net and cut in front of him. Or at the very least, should have known that.

Then i guess there's the argument that he didn't make an effort to avoid contact either way. he could have stopped, straight up. But he just sort of plowed through and hoped for the best lol 

Just got back.

First off, as many have noted, no complaints with the team’s effort.  Sadly that first disallowed goal (that’s the one I think should’ve been allowed to stand) seemed to throw the Devils’ mojo off just enough…but even with all of the craziness that followed, the Leafs escaped by the absolute skin of their teeth.  The Devils played well enough to win, but we know that in hockey it doesn’t always go that way.

re:  the throwing sh!t on ice…I have two beefs with it…the first being that the cleanup crew doesn’t deserve any of that…once they’re out there, let them do their thing without them having to dodge projectiles.  The other is what Haula alluded to…the people on or near the ice who aren’t wearing protective gear of any kind…and let’s face it, not everyone who WANTS to throw beer cans and other crap on the ice actually possesses the arm strength to REACH their intended target.  That puts fans of all ages at risk…I’d just rather not see someone get pegged in the head by 20 oz or so of beer in a metal can.  All it takes is one serious accident. 

I don’t care what the media has to say about us because if they dare to do their due diligence, they’ll quickly see that this is not our history…if anything, it takes a hell of a lot for us to finally snap.  Several other fanbases have much shorter (and more destructive) fuses than we do. 

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

Also it cannot be said enough times how bad Brendan Smith is at hockey. The second goal was 100% on him. The turnover to the complete vanishing act after he turns it over…hopefully the end of the streak means it’s the last we see of him.

Again, he played a fine game outside of that one shift. I’m no big fan of his, but he actually made some nice plays tonight. 

Hamilton and Siegenthaler got outmuscled by Mitch freaking Marner on the boards to set up the 1st goal. Not sure why they’re getting a pass. And Sharongovich also completely lost Tavares in the slot. That’s at least 4 guys you can hold accountable on those 2 goals. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

Hamilton and Siegenthaler got outmuscled by Mitch freaking Marner on the boards to set up the 1st goal. Not sure why they’re getting a pass. And Sharongovich also completely lost Tavares in the slot. That’s at least 4 guys you can hold accountable on those 2 goals. 

Definitely true, I mentioned Hamilton and Siegenthaler above. The difference being that it has been uncharacteristic from them, and commonplace from Smith. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Again, he played a fine game outside of that one shift. I’m no big fan of his, but he actually made some nice plays tonight. 

They get a pass because they’ve been great this year. I honestly can’t recall a good game, including this one, that Smith’s had.