Reverse Retros vs. the Rangers?!!!

Rock

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It would be pretty funny after all these years of wanting Meier so he can play with Nico if he ended up playing exclusively with Jack. 

You’d almost have to think if he became a Devil they’d try him with Nico first, based off them having good chemistry in international tournaments 

Well, I also would have assumed Haula would be a bottom 6 center lol. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It would be pretty funny after all these years of wanting Meier so he can play with Nico if he ended up playing exclusively with Jack. 

You’d almost have to think if he became a Devil they’d try him with Nico first, based off them having good chemistry in international tournaments 

Either Nico or Hughes, it would be awesome to have a true power forward.  6’1’ 220lb, 92 hits this season, 162 last season and can score just under a point per game.

Timo-Nico-Bratt 🤤

20 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Either Nico or Hughes, it would be awesome to have a true power forward.  6’1’ 220lb, 92 hits this season, 162 last season and can score just under a point per game.

Timo-Nico-Bratt 🤤

He’s EXACTLY what this team needs. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I’m just saying that Fitz will have options.  Also, I don’t recall saying 10 mill for Timo, but I do recall someone posting there was a 10 mill offer sheet for San Jose to sign him.  I would love to see him as a Devil though.  I don’t think anyone can dispute that he would be a great addition on Hughes line.  Fitz prefers to get players during the offseason anyway.  The question is who is replaceable to make cap space and what each player is asking for.  I do think Severson will be gone, because I don’t think he is happy playing as a third pair.  That leaves Graves, but if he is asking for too much do the Devils try to retain Severson?  Boqvist, Zetterlund and Yegor are all RFA, so if Fitz doesn’t need them to fill out the roster, who cares if no team has interest in them.  I do think that he resigns Zetterlund and Yegor though.  I think Boqvist is what he is and really doesn’t bring much.

Someone mentioned 10 mil offer.  I'd love Timo to be traded here. Perfect line-mate for Nico.  I'm sure SJ will make a "responsible" offer.  Fitz might have a shot getting him in a Devils Sweater. But it'll take something substantial to pry him out. You wonder if Severson would take a lil hometown discount? But then again,  he's in his prime years, so he may want to test the waters.  

Fitz won't make the trade unless Timo signs for a few years at least.  What salary "range" is Meier? (making 6 mil now)

13 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Someone mentioned 10 mil offer.  I'd love Timo to be traded here. Perfect line-mate for Nico.  I'm sure SJ will make a "responsible" offer.  Fitz might have a shot getting him in a Devils Sweater. But it'll take something substantial to pry him out. You wonder if Severson would take a lil hometown discount? But then again,  he's in his prime years, so he may want to test the waters.  

Fitz won't make the trade unless Timo signs for a few years at least.  What salary "range" is Meier? (making 6 mil now)

I have to imagine Severson is on his way out, but if Graves does not re-sign, perhaps there is room for him. Or perhaps not. 

That said, we have been talking about Meier getting traded here for at least 4 years now. Do people really still think its going to happen?

7 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

He has a 10m qualifying offer due at the end of the season so if we trade for him we'd have to pay that to re-sign him for 8 years... OR we'd have to not pay that and let him go to UFA and then sign him for 7 years?

IF we're gonna make a move for him... i'd rather just... wait til the summer... hope that the sharks are not qualifying him and that we can pitch him a contract as a UFA.

If we'd know that Bratt wont sign a reasonable extension or wtv that'd be fantastic cause THEN you go full force on Meier at all cost but not knowing and making both work under the cap is going to be tricky

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

He has a 10m qualifying offer due at the end of the season so if we trade for him we'd have to pay that to re-sign him for 8 years... OR we'd have to not pay that and let him go to UFA and then sign him for 7 years?

IF we're gonna make a move for him... i'd rather just... wait til the summer... hope that the sharks are not qualifying him and that we can pitch him a contract as a UFA.

If we'd know that Bratt wont sign a reasonable extension or wtv that'd be fantastic cause THEN you go full force on Meier at all cost but not knowing and making both work under the cap is going to be tricky

There isn’t a scenario where San Jose won’t qualify him.

It’s tricky with Meier, though, because he could totally decide “I want to be a UFA no matter what” and simply sign the QO. That doesn’t happen with NHL players too often but it’s a scenario any team trading for Meier needs to factor in. It’s also certain that San Jose knows this and realizes their best trade value would be similar to the Tkachuk trade — allowing his agent to essentially “shop” for his next destination and then negotiating a sign-and-trade. Whether that happens now or that happens in the off-season is yet to be seen.

In terms of how this QO effects his future contract, the answer is simply “it doesn’t”. The only way his cap hit is $10m next season is if he accepts his QO instead of signing a long term deal, or if his long term deal somehow equates to 10AAV which seems a little unlikely. 

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The Devils CAN make both work under the cap, but it will mean that some kids will have to fill in the gaps and outperform their ELCs or bridge deals, and/or Fitz will have to strike gold on a lower-tier trade or get more out of a UFA or two than expected.

UFAs Tatar, Johnsson (who's not counting towards the cap at the moment), Bernier, Severson, and Wood figure to be goners if both Bratt and Meier are signed...some of them would've been gone anyway, but I can't see why Fitz would bend over backwards to keep any of them if Meier's here.  Get the feeling that will make Blackwood also not being kept a mere formality.  

Maybe Graves and Sharangovich are re-signed, but that seems like a longshot in this scenario.  Might be one or the other, at best.

So basically either Schmid or Daws comes to camp looking to win the backup job.  Nemec and Luke both get a shot to make the Devils either right when the season begins or shortly after.  Haula could be back strictly as an affordable 3C...if that's what he's here for and not to wreck Jack's assist totals, I can live with it.  Maybe some of the Utes (Clarke, Foote, Thompson) also get a chance to make the team as Bottom 6ers...yes, this would be dicey.  I can see McLeod (depending on his situation) and Bastian re-signed...both are not going to cost much.  And of course the HUGE wild card here is Holtz...what exactly is he?  How close is he to making a real impact and becoming the Top 6 sniper everyone's hoping for?  Right now it looks like he's still at least another couple of seasons away from really putting it together, if he ever does.  If he somehow accelerated that timeline, massive win for the Devils.

So basically, on one hand, you can definitely fit Bratt and Meier work...on the other, clearly some sacrifices are going to have to be made for it to happen.  The big question is anyone on the "likely to be gone" list in this case going to be missed THAT much?  I like Graves and wouldn't mind seeing him stick around, as long as it's for reasonable money.  But the rest of the "expendables"...that's kinda what they all are, in the end...some of them weren't coming back regardless, and I'm not sure a guy like Sharangovich will ever be much better than he is right now.  If Meier joining the Devils is the end game, I can live with a lot of these guys not being retained.     

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils CAN make both work under the cap, but it will mean that some kids will have to fill in the gaps and outperform their ELCs or bridge deals, and/or Fitz will have to strike gold on a lower-tier trade or get more out of a UFA or two than expected.

UFAs Tatar, Johnsson (who's not counting towards the cap at the moment), Bernier, Severson, and Wood figure to be goners if both Bratt and Meier are signed...some of them would've been gone anyway, but I can't see why Fitz would bend over backwards to keep any of them if Meier's here.  Get the feeling that will make Blackwood also not being kept a mere formality.  

Maybe Graves and Sharangovich are re-signed, but that seems like a longshot in this scenario.  Might be one or the other, at best.

So basically either Schmid or Daws comes to camp looking to win the backup job.  Nemec and Luke both get a shot to make the Devils either right when the season begins or shortly after.  Haula could be back strictly as an affordable 3C...if that's what he's here for and not to wreck Jack's assist totals, I can live with it.  Maybe some of the Utes (Clarke, Foote, Thompson) also get a chance to make the team as Bottom 6ers...yes, this would be dicey.  I can see McLeod (depending on his situation) and Bastian re-signed...both are not going to cost much.  And of course the HUGE wild card here is Holtz...what exactly is he?  How close is he to making a real impact and becoming the Top 6 sniper everyone's hoping for?  Right now it looks like he's still at least another couple of seasons away from really putting it together, if he ever does.  If he somehow accelerated that timeline, massive win for the Devils.

So basically, on one hand, you can definitely fit Bratt and Meier work...on the other, clearly some sacrifices are going to have to be made for it to happen.  The big question is anyone on the "likely to be gone" list in this case going to be missed THAT much?  I like Graves and wouldn't mind seeing him stick around, as long as it's for reasonable money.  But the rest of the "expendables"...that's kinda what they all are, in the end...some of them weren't coming back regardless, and I'm not sure a guy like Sharangovich will ever be much better than he is right now.  If Meier joining the Devils is the end game, I can live with a lot of these guys not being retained.     

yeah i know you can make it work. But then like you said we WILL have to make sacrifices and hope that our young guys and depth can hold on. And we'd officially be in cap hell territory.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i know you can make it work. But then like you said we WILL have to make sacrifices and hope that our young guys and depth can hold on. And we'd officially be in cap hell territory.

Not for a few years, as Nemec and Luke will be on ELCs.  The only guy who will be making a lot of money on D will be Hamilton.  Devils don't figure to have tons of money tied up in their goaltending anytime soon.  Yeah they will have a lot of pricey forwards, but Hughes, Nico, Meier, Bratt, Palat...you could do worse (though obviously you'd like to see a cost-effective winger join them).  I'm always wary of becoming too top-heavy but they should be in decent shape over the next few years (after this one).  All depends upon how well the "fill in the gaps" kids develop.  

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to imagine Severson is on his way out, but if Graves does not re-sign, perhaps there is room for him. Or perhaps not. 

That said, we have been talking about Meier getting traded here for at least 4 years now. Do people really still think its going to happen?

One can only hope and dream.

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you don't even believe that cap hell even exist at all so obviously you don't think that lol 

the cap is jumping up ~5 in 2 years and expected to EXPLODE the following year. 

timo meier fits alongside jesper bratt without an ounce of concern.

Edited by MB3

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

San Jose ain’t trading him before his QO kicks in. Trading him next year will open up the line of suitors when they don’t have to worry about his 10 mil cap hit.

They may be forced to trade him if they can’t agree to an extension. We’ve seen it happen plenty, most recently with Tkachuk 

Yeah SJ is an old team, trending down, already not making the playoffs anymore. With one of the worse prospect pool in the NHL. Their top prospect is Eklund and he's not even in the NHL yet so they really really need to rebuild so they can't afford to just lose him for nothing so they basically have to try to sign him now or trade him while they can. The last thing they should do is just...wait til after the deadline to try to sign him.

By flipping him and Karlsson they should be able to gather a good amount of picks / prospects though

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah SJ is an old team, trending down, already not making the playoffs anymore. With one of the worse prospect pool in the NHL. Their top prospect is Eklund and he's not even in the NHL yet so they really really need to rebuild so they can't afford to just lose him for nothing so they basically have to try to sign him now or trade him while they can. The last thing they should do is just...wait til after the deadline to try to sign him.

By flipping him and Karlsson they should be able to gather a good amount of picks / prospects though

Karlsson is owed a fortune for what will be his Age 33-36 seasons.  I know he’s been putting up some nice offensive numbers this year, but not sure how much teams will be willing to cough up for him.

41 minutes ago, devlman said:

San Jose ain’t trading him before his QO kicks in. Trading him next year will open up the line of suitors when they don’t have to worry about his 10 mil cap hit.

you have this backwards lol. trading him next year ensures he is a rental. trading him this year allows teams to try to trade for his rights to reach an agreement. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Karlsson is owed a fortune for what will be his Age 33-36 seasons.  I know he’s been putting up some nice offensive numbers this year, but not sure how much teams will be willing to cough up for him.

I can’t see Karlsson being worth 11 million a year for those seasons. Even though he’s having a throwback season at the moment

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well anything is better than nothing when you're about to rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well anything is better than nothing when you're about to rebuild. 

Yeah but you basically made it sound like moving him could help to bring back a nice haul of picks and prospects.  Both his age and the massive financial commitment that comes with acquiring him likely means moving him is not going to be easy, and should the Sharks somehow manage to pull it off, the return is not going to amount to much.  Might be different if he was in his prime/younger and hadn’t been so uneven in the four seasons leading to this one.  $45 million is a LOT to take on over the next four seasons.  

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah but you basically made it sound like moving him could help to bring back a nice haul of picks and prospects.  Both his age and the massive financial commitment that comes with acquiring him likely means moving him is not going to be easy, and should the Sharks somehow manage to pull it off, the return is not going to amount to much.  Might be different if he was in his prime/younger and hadn’t been so uneven in the four seasons leading to this one.  $45 million is a LOT to take on over the next four seasons.  

ah i didn't think he had that many seasons left on his contract. Yeah then it's a lot more complicated indeed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

ah i didn't think he had that many seasons left on his contract. Yeah then it's a lot more complicated indeed

Yeah sadly for the Sharks I could see the offer being 2 mid-round picks and some middling prospect at absolute best.  That money is just SO prohibitive…his yearly cap hit ($11.5 million AAV) is insane.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah sadly for the Sharks I could see the offer being 2 mid-round picks and some middling prospect at absolute best.  That money is just SO prohibitive…his yearly cap hit ($11.5 million AAV) is insane.  

i don’t think — even if he continues to play like this — that the sharks can even think about trading him unless they retain the maximum allowable (half?) of his contract. and that’s a major commitment to make 

• Like 1