New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

While he was in juniors, I never thought he would turn out to be such a bust.  He was captain of the Spokane Chiefs, over a ppg in his last 3 years there. CHL defenseman of the year, NHL all rookie team.  Then he just fell on his face.

Ty looked good at first when he got to the NHL too. Barely missed making the team out of camp that one year and then there were games where you could really see his creativity on the offensive blueline. The sophomore slump hit him HARD.

37 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Ty looked good at first when he got to the NHL too. Barely missed making the team out of camp that one year and then there were games where you could really see his creativity on the offensive blueline. The sophomore slump hit him HARD.

Yeah thank god that Fitz was able to take advantage of Hextall in landing Marino.  That trade looks SO bad.  Pitt basically had to go sign Graves to try to replace what they lost in Marino.  And I think Marino is the better player…guy is just very sound.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah thank god that Fitz was able to take advantage of Hextall in landing Marino.  That trade looks SO bad.  Pitt basically had to go sign Graves to try to replace what they lost in Marino.  And I think Marino is the better player…guy is just very sound.

Most of this footage is from the little run that we went on last season to start the year, so you can say it's been cherry-picked, but the eye test is incredibly easy on this one. Noticed how strong he is along the boards and how smart the decision-making is. Basically unbeatable one on one against some of the top stars in the NHL off the rush (see video, bodies Rantanen, steals multiple pucks away from MacKinnon, he stumps McDavid once off the rush. Hyman play he outskates his D-partner and makes the play). He's just a dman who could easily get 6-7m on the open market and that's with him maybe being a bit of a dud offensively at times. That is frankly how much his defensive skills are worth. 

I show this video to all Penguins fans who bring up the Marino trade. It's a pretty great stretch and the argument that he was bad for them in playoffs is being based off of his most recent playoff performance (prior to the 2022-23 year) with Pittsburgh where they lost to NYR, which frankly I have not watched enough other than to say he may have gone invisible a little in that series. 

I think he stepped his game to the next level this playoffs. I at least argue that he was one of the players who successfully elevated his game so to speak. 

I don't think I can get off of the Marino train. Great player, fleeced a divisional rival for him. Good on Fitz and his pro scouts. I am very excited to see the L.Hughes and Marino second pairing in training camp. I think they will both complement each other VERY well. I'd even expect Marino's stats to get a little boost. 

EDIT: Have likely shared this before. He's just so good. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 3

@RizzMB30 yeah offense is never going to be a huge part of Marino’s game, but he’s sooooooo good at defending that I couldn’t care less about the fact that he doesn’t bring much offense.  And yeah he’s a bargain for what he is.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He is a better player. And I'm exited to wait how they will make a chemistry with Luke. 

Smith was freaking trash from the beginning and this trade become one of the best in Devils history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

He is a better player. And I'm exited to wait how they will make a chemistry with Luke. 

Smith was freaking trash from the beginning and this trade become one of the best in Devils history. 

If you’re saying Marino is better than Smith, yeah, that goes without saying.  I was saying that Marino is better than Graves (which I think most, if not everyone, here would agree with).  Graves is obviously not bad but I just find Marino to be a better defender. Marino’s defensive instincts are so impressive…most of the time he has a knack for knowing what to do when.

On 7/17/2023 at 5:41 AM, Guadana said:

When Smith made the all rookie team his first season, did you see something that made you believe he was not going to be successful?

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

When Smith made the all rookie team his first season, did you see something that made you not believe he was not going to be successful?

Yeah he got off a flying start.  And his rookie year overall wasn’t bad.

But that sophomore year…yikes.  Didn’t see his star falling so fast, based on his early showing.

• Like 1

Wow, it's July 18 and Tomas Tatar still hasn't signed a contract. It's too bad that to get the highest dollar amount, he's probably going to have hook on with a team trying to get to the cap floor.  I hope we can bring him back for a year. He was such a good "glue" player for us last season. But it's probably not going to happen.

On 7/17/2023 at 5:43 PM, Jerrydevil said:

When Smith made the all rookie team his first season, did you see something that made you believe he was not going to be successful?

Yes of course. I shouted loudly that we should trade him immediately after his first year. He was as bad skater and awfully bad defenseman and his skills set was disaster for NHL. Fitz should monetized his little success. And he did it somehow one year after. 

Smith&Butcher were bluh duo and are represented the type of players I'm hardly don't like. Especially because how much people liked them for some reasons. When Luke Hughes was drafted, Devils immediately put the black cross on Smith destiny as Devils player.

Edited by Guadana

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

“The Penguins will contend for years to come” 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Meh what does anyone really expect him to say?  I’m sure his preference would’ve been to have stayed here.  But that was never happening.

Sadly for him though, yeah, he’s joining the Pens in their waning days.  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Meh what does anyone really expect him to say?  I’m sure his preference would’ve been to have stayed here.  But that was never happening.

Sadly for him though, yeah, he’s joining the Pens in their waning days.  

“I’m excited to play with those guys” would have sufficed. 

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

“I’m excited to play with those guys” would have sufficed. 

Yeah that would’ve made more sense.  Oh well.

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

People told me last week that you can't rebuild when you have Crosby but now we're flaming Graves for thinking they've got a shot. Which is it people!?

I’m not flaming Graves…of course he’s going to want to sound optimistic.  But Crosby is about to turn 36 and Malkin will soon be 37…and Letang is already 36.  Does he really believe that these guys have all that much left?

The Pens don’t actually have that many guys signed up long term (Graves is now the Penguin signed to the longest term, crazy as that may sound).  That team figures to look drastically different by Graves’ third year or so.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m not flaming Graves…of course he’s going to want to sound optimistic.  But Crosby is about to turn 36 and Malkin will soon be 37…and Letang is already 36.  Does he really believe that these guys have all that much left?

The Pens don’t actually have that many guys signed up long term (Graves is now the Penguin signed to the longest term, crazy as that may sound).  That team figures to look drastically different by Graves’ third year or so.  

They'll tank at the right time and land a generational talent or two. 

I'll sound old when I say this, but I'm glad this franchise not only made it but flourished. It's a great hockey town, and one of my finest hockey experiences was a Devil-Pens game at the Igloo.

44 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

People told me last week that you can't rebuild when you have Crosby but now we're flaming Graves for thinking they've got a shot. Which is it people!?

Again, having a shot (they don’t) and claiming they’re setup to be contenders for “years to come” are two totally different things. I just thought it was a funny comment. Not really a big deal. 

30 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

They'll tank at the right time and land a generational talent or two. 

I'll sound old when I say this, but I'm glad this franchise not only made it but flourished. It's a great hockey town, and one of my finest hockey experiences was a Devil-Pens game at the Igloo.

fvck Pittsburgh. Yinzers are the absolute worst. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Again, having a shot (they don’t) and claiming they’re setup to be contenders for “years to come” are two totally different things. I just thought it was a funny comment. Not really a big deal. 

Not saying it was a big deal. Just making conversation.

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

“The Penguins will contend for years to come” 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Severson with Columbus will contend for years to come. They got great team, now they need time to develop some players and click. 

Graves... got the money. Happy for him, but he isn't the defenseman to restructure defense around. If they will trade Pickering or/and Yager for something "here and now", I will be happy.