2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

9 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

And what’s fvcked up is that Dano said he’s good friends with that pr!ck tie, how’s that fvcking possible after what that a$shole did.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Dano talks about every guy he played with/against with rose colored glasses. Every time they have Gretzky on he's oogling over him like they're old pals too.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The Leafs getting swept in the second round after finally "breaking their curse"... oh my goodness it would be poetic.  

I have this weird feeling there's going to be a big move between the Rangers and Leafs, where the Leafs finally decide "We can't fvcking win with this core!", and the Rangers want to make a splash to try to put last season in the rearview.  I have no idea WHICH guys in particular would be involved, just could see both teams looking to shake sh!t up in a big way...especially the Leafs.  They've given that group a LOT of chances.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have this weird feeling there's going to be a big move between the Rangers and Leafs, where the Leafs finally decide "We can't fvcking win with this core!", and the Rangers want to make a splash to try to put last season in the rearview.  I have no idea WHICH guys in particular would be involved, just could see both teams looking to shake sh!t up in a big way...especially the Leafs.  They've given that group a LOT of chances.  

If the Leafs do start shopping core pieces I wonder if Nylander for Bratt could work for both sides?

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If the Leafs do start shopping core pieces I wonder if Nylander for Bratt could work for both sides?

Toronto needs draft picks in the worst way…Bratt + multiple picks maybe gets it done.  Nylander is a UFA in two years though.  Another guy to pay up for, right when Luke becomes a RFA.

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So basically they would try to solve their issues of softness and disappearing in big games by getting softer and adding a guy who’s been on a milk cartoon for 3 weeks?   Sign me up!  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Toronto needs draft picks in the worst way…Bratt + multiple picks maybe gets it done.  Nylander is a UFA in two years though.  Another guy to pay up for, right when Luke becomes a RFA.

I don’t think it would take Bratt plus multiple picks. Bratt is 3 years younger, and a RFA. Also, Nylander is a UFA after next season according to this. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/william-nylander-15746/

Just now, Lateralous said:

So basically they would try to solve their issues of softness and disappearing in big games by getting softer and adding a guy who’s been on a milk cartoon for 3 weeks?   Sign me up!  

The enticing part for the Leafs would be Bratt is only 24, and a RFA. 

What they really need (and have forever) is defense though. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t think it would take Bratt plus multiple picks. Bratt is 3 years younger, and a RFA. Also, Nylander is a UFA after next season according to this. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/william-nylander-15746/

You're correct...Nylander goes UFA after the 2023-24 season.  But he's clearly the better and more productive player.  

Unless he agrees to a new contract as part of his coming here, I don't think I could make that deal.  I know we're all down on Bratt and are absolutely open to moving him, but I would need more than one season of Nylander to make that move.  Devils will have Mercer to pay after next season as well.  

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

The Flames are another team besides WPG that might need a shakeup. I'd be making a call there and seeing if some proven guys might be getting shopped. They might wait another year now that Tre and Sutter are out though.

Would certainly love Coleman back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Would certainly love Coleman back. 

I like Coleman a lot but not at $4.9 million AAV for the next four seasons...and he's already 31 years old.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The enticing part for the Leafs would be Bratt is only 24, and a RFA. 

What they really need (and have forever) is defense though. 

I could see the Leafs overpaying Severson and/or Graves this summer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I like Coleman a lot but not at $4.9 million AAV for the next four seasons...and he's already 31 years old.  

Yeah, age is definitely a factor, but when you’re paying a guy like Miles Wood $3.2 mil (which could be freed up if they don’t re-sign him), that seems about right for Coleman to me. I would get them not wanting too many contracts with guys on the wrong side of 30 though. I believe it’s currently only Dougie and Palat (that will be), and possibly Timo depending on term. 

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hard to believe, but the Leafs have TEN UFAs-to-be this offseason.  And not big money...all but of one of those contracts coming off is $2 million AAV or less...Kerfoot at $3.5 million AAV is the lone exception.  

They'll have the room to add Seves or Graves but not like there's a big contract coming off.  They'll have a lot of holes to fill.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Severson I could definitely see. Hell, this current version of Damon would likely be their 2nd best defenseman after Morgan Reilly lol. 

• Like 2

Hard to believe, but the Leafs have TEN UFAs-to-be this offseason.  And not big money...all but of one of those contracts coming off is $2 million AAV or less...Kerfoot at $3.5 million AAV is the lone exception.  

They'll have the room to add Seves or Graves but not like there's a big contract coming off.  They'll have a lot of holes to fill.

I think one of the big contracts moves in a trade. Like you said earlier- there is a shakeup of that core coming if they get swept. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, age is definitely a factor, but when you’re paying a guy like Miles Wood $3.2 mil (which could be freed up if they don’t re-sign him), that seems about right for Coleman to me. I would get them not wanting too many contracts with guys on the wrong side of 30 though. I believe it’s currently only Dougie and Palat (that will be), and possibly Timo depending on term. 

Not saying Coleman's AAV is that bad for what he brings, just that the Devils probably aren't in the best position to take it on, given Timo's situation (and Bratt's, depending on what the Devils want to do) after this season, Dawson after next, Luke in two seasons...there are guys in house who figure to get paid on top of the ones who already are.  Fitz will probably have to skimp here and here.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think one of the big contracts moves in a trade. Like you said earlier- there is a shakeup of that core coming if they get swept. 

re:  the bolded, sure, but are the Leafs looking to just dump salary or try to get a player back who gives their team a different look but is also a top player in his own right, who's being paid as such (or will be very soon)?  I suspect it will be the latter, if at all possible...hard to think the Leafs aren't boom-or-bust in trying to make a championship happen for as long as possible, given who they are and where the team is, in its competitive window.  They might finally be ready to tweak, but not in a way that can't potentially help them right away.  

• Like 1

Not saying Coleman's AAV is that bad for what he brings, just that the Devils probably aren't in the best position to take it on, given Timo's situation (and Bratt's, depending on what the Devils want to do) after this season, Dawson after next, Luke in two seasons...there are guys in house who figure to get paid on top of the ones who already are.  Fitz will probably have to skimp here and here.

re:  the bolded, sure, but are the Leafs looking to just dump salary or try to get a player back who gives their team a different look but is also a top player in his own right, who's being paid as such (or will be very soon)?  I suspect it will be the latter, if at all possible...hard to think the Leafs aren't boom-or-bust in trying to make a championship happen for as long as possible, given who they are and where the team is, in its competitive window.  They might finally be ready to tweak, but not in a way that can't potentially help them right away.  

When I made my comment we were talking about Bratt getting moved earlier in the convo, so I said Calgary with that in mind. I'd rather pay Timo and Coleman than Bratt and Timo at this point. Bratt is going to have to wake up or take a lot less than what was getting thrown around to change my mind.

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

When I made my comment we were talking about Bratt getting moved earlier in the convo, so I said Calgary with that in mind. I'd rather pay Timo and Coleman than Bratt and Timo at this point. Bratt is going to have to wake up or take a lot less than what was getting thrown around to change my mind.

I'm with you in that I'm in no rush to unload the coffers for Bratt at this point, but I don't know what Fitz is thinking on that.  He may still want to keep both Timo AND Bratt.

If I was Calgary, I'd be looking to get out from under Kadri's contract (even though he just signed it last year)...man that one is bad.  $7 million AAV for his Age 33-38 seasons.