GDT: Game 2 - Rangers @ Devils - 20 Apr - 730p - TBS/MSG

jagknife

I knew this sh!t would happen. You all wanted the Rags. I prayed for any scenario where we could avoid them.

All our young players experiencing the playoffs for the first time are seeing a crowd of blue at home given every chance to cheer. What a dejecting failure and embarrassing look for our franchise. Why couldn’t we have beaten Buffalo and taken the division??

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, devlman said:

Lindy actually dumbfoundingly said Smith played well. fvck my life.

And that Wood's penalty was a "tough call" and that he otherwise liked his game.

We're fvcking doomed.

7 minutes ago, devlman said:

I knew this sh!t would happen. You all wanted the Rags. I prayed for any scenario where we could avoid them.

All our young players experiencing the playoffs for the first time are seeing a crowd of blue at home given every chance to cheer. What a dejecting failure and embarrassing look for our franchise. Why couldn’t we have beaten Buffalo and taken the division??

Honestly think we would've gotten embarrassed by the Islanders too, which... eh who knows, probably would've been just as bad as this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And that Wood's penalty was a "tough call" and that he otherwise liked his game.

We're fvcking doomed.

Honestly think we would've gotten embarrassed by the Islanders too, which... eh who knows, probably would've been just as bad as this.

We would’ve been killed either way for sure. But at least it wouldn’t have had our arena look blue on National tv.

For some reason the arena had more blue than game 1. Game 1 Devils fans did a good job keeping them out.

15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

We're fvcking doomed.

I thought we would’ve played the Panthers had we won the division?

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Not me.  I would've been happier if Carolina and the Rangers could've squared off in the first round, but I can't get on the Devils for falling one point short of the Canes (more on this below).

Though I've seen some random chirping re:  the Devils somehow faltering down the stretch and/or VV not being hot (or hot enough I guess), neither of this things are really true.

After that 1-7-1 slump in December, the Devils went 30-11-6 the rest of the way.  Never lost two regulation games in a row during that time.  The worst slump that they endured was a 1-3-2 mild downturn...which they pulled out of by going 7-3 to close out the season.  Vitek went 21-7-2 with a .912 save% overall; Schmid went 4-2-2 with a .912 save% (so no, Schmid was not soooooo much better than VV...both were plenty good, with occasional meh games, and they ABSOLUTELY should have been the 1A-1B combo).  Of course Yeller was worse than both (.899 save%, and it's infuriating that Fitz and Lindy insisted on trying to make him happen at the team's expense).

But not sure how much better than 30-11-6 the Devils could have been expected to be, factoring in every last thing (especially the amount of comeback wins)...and it's not like the Devils ever wrangled control of their destiny away from the Canes...they needed help right up until the very last day and simply couldn't get it.  Sure, sucks that they couldn't somehow manage two more points, but sometimes you simply do fall that little bit short.  

• Like 1

Trying to be as fair as possible to Lindy (not a popular sentiment) the idea that playoff hockey is tighter and more physical isn’t crazy. We just don’t have the personnel to execute that effectively and he tried to improve us in that area around the fringes with the personnel we have, but everything backfired.   maybe the right idea but he didn’t risk adjust for the downsides all of which materialized.  i’m not sure playing our game, which looks great against Chi and Col in the regular season, would be super effective in the playoffs agains the Rangers (notwithstanding our regular season record against them).  Playoff hockey is different and he’s trying to adjust.  it’s just not working.  and to be clear it doesn’t let him off the hook for leaving Kreider in front, not playing Lazar (anlthough really he isn’t a difference maker) etc.  

23 minutes ago, devlman said:

We would’ve been killed either way for sure. But at least it wouldn’t have had our arena look blue on National tv.

For some reason the arena had more blue than game 1. Game 1 Devils fans did a good job keeping them out.

If Game 1 was about 30-35% Ranger fans...this was more 40%, maybe a little more.  And yeah for the second straight game they did take over, but when the Devils aren't in either game in the third period, what do people expect?  The Devils just aren't giving their fans much to work with.  When it was 1-0 the Ranger fans weren't making much noise at all.

That one complete d!ck who threw his drink on a fan who was almost 10 feet past him and who didn't say a word or do anything at all to provoke anyone...man I would've liked to have seen him knock that jackoff out cold.  And what pisses me off even more is you know that fvcking guy and his equally stupid Ranger a$$hole buddies were thinking "Duuuuuuuuuuh, you really showed him, you don't mess wit da Ran-juhs!"  Yeah really brave you piece of sh!t.  The kind of guy who sucker-punches someone and tells everyone how he beat the crap out of him.   

They are just the fvcking WORST.  I hate every last fvcking about them.  They deserve to wait at least another 25 years before they win another Cup.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Game 1 was about 30-35% Ranger fans...this was more 40%, maybe a little more.  And yeah for the second straight game they did take over, but when the Devils aren't in either game in the third period, what do people expect?  The Devils just aren't giving their fans much to work with.  When it was 1-0 the Ranger fans weren't making much noise at all.

That one complete d!ck who threw his drink on a fan who was almost 10 feet past him and who didn't say a word or do anything at all to provoke anyone...man I would've liked to have seen him knock that jackoff out cold.  And what pisses me off even more is you know that fvcking guy and his equally stupid Ranger a$$hole buddies were thinking "Duuuuuuuuuuh, you really showed him, you don't mess wit da Ran-juhs!"  Yeah really brave you piece of sh!t.  The kind of guy who sucker-punches someone and tells everyone how he beat the crap out of him.   

They are just the fvcking WORST.  I hate every last fvcking about them.  They deserve to wait at least another 25 years before they win another Cup.    

The guy who got the drink thrown on him should’ve knocked that motherfvcker’s teeth out. 

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The guy who got the drink thrown on him should’ve knocked that motherfvcker’s teeth out. 

You could tell the guy wanted to badly, but in his defense, you could tell that he knew that it was going to escalate and potentially get very ugly with multiple people involved, and he didn't want it to get worse...the guy actually showed an insane amount of restraint, while still letting that Ranger-lovin' douche know that what he did was complete bullsh!t.

All that being said, if the Devils fan HAD popped that guy, on some level I would've approved.  He absolutely had it coming and was begging for it.  But it also absolutely would've turned into a serious melee, and crazy (sometimes fatal) sh!t can happen, especially if said melee is taking place on concrete steps.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You could tell the guy wanted to badly, but in his defense, you could tell that he knew that it was going to escalate and potentially get very ugly with multiple people involved, and he didn't want it to get worse...the guy actually showed an insane amount of restraint, while still letting that Ranger-lovin' douche that what he did was complete bullsh!t.

All that being said, if the Devils fan HAD popped that guy, on some level I would've approved.  He absolutely had it coming and was begging for it.  But it also absolutely would've turned into a serious melee, and crazy (sometimes fatal) sh!t can happen, especially if said melee is taking place on concrete steps.  

Yeah all good points. Not worth it. In the end, as pissed off as we all are, it’s still just a game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah all good points. Not worth it. In the end, as pissed off as we all are, it’s still just a game.

Oh for sure, but even my 14-year-daughter said "Dad what is WRONG with that guy?!  Why would he DO that?"  Like me, she was looking right at that incident as it occurred (and many others saw it, which made that a$$hole's whole "What?" stance that much more grating).  

All I said was "Remember all the times that I told you how much I hate Ranger fans?  THAT'S why!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“We wanted more physicality, we wanted to get (Smith) in there,” Ruff said. “He’s been a good player for us all year. Lots of heart, physicality, former Ranger. I thought he played well. Really wasn’t anything about his game that was something you would dislike.”

Fire this a$$hole.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

“We wanted more physicality, we wanted to get (Smith) in there,” Ruff said. “He’s been a good player for us all year. Lots of heart, physicality, former Ranger. I thought he played well. Really wasn’t anything about his game that was something you would dislike.”

Fire this a$$hole.

image.jpeg.61a4018c82899cb8fc15a1ab7493e624.jpeg

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Yeah, the 1996 New York Yankees. 😂😂

That’s…not a bad comp aside from the fact they’d won two playoff rounds already at least and were facing the defending champs.

Still can’t find an example of it in hockey though 

Edited by NJDevs4978

20 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That’s…not a bad comp aside from the fact they’d won two playoff rounds already at least and were facing the defending champs.

Still can’t find an example of it in hockey though 

When the best example is from baseball that's a really bad sign. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

image.gif.d72b0d3fdf53c4d9bf9f3ac901e1f2af.gif

I don’t think we’ve been watching the same player

Edited by Bonginator11
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

image.gif.d72b0d3fdf53c4d9bf9f3ac901e1f2af.gif

I don’t think we’ve been watching the same player

I don't know if Lindy is one of those guys who insists on doubling down no matter ridiculous it makes him look, or if he truly believes everything he's saying.  Either way, the more he says, the less I wanna hear.

• Like 1