The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

So now that July 1 is already almost upon us…

does Dawson get an extension?

If so, does he also join the “Crazy Eights” club?

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So now that July 1 is already almost upon us…

does Dawson get an extension?

If so, does he also join the “Crazy Eights” club?

Fitz has indicated he’d like to get that done, so we’ll see. Would love it if he could lock Mercer down too.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz has indicated he’d like to get that done, so we’ll see. Would love it if he could lock Mercer down too.

The funny thing is I have no idea why Dawson would do it.  If I’m him, I sign for just long to reach my UFA year (at the longest), then I try to cash in.  He could really hit the jackpot as a still-young UFA, if he keeps improving.  That might mean he gets dealt with a year left in whatever deal he signs, but at least you know you’re getting some solid assets back to work with.

I love Dawson and of course would love to see him get a nice slice of the pie too, but only so much to go around.  Can’t wrap up everybody.

• Like 3

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing is I have no idea why Dawson would do it.  If I’m him, I sign for just long to reach my UFA year (at the longest), then I try to cash in.  He could really hit the jackpot as a still-young UFA, if he keeps improving.  That might mean he gets dealt with a year left in whatever deal he signs, but at least you know you’re getting some solid assets back to work with.

I love Dawson and of course would love to see him get a nice slice of the pie too, but only so much to go around.  Can’t wrap up everybody.

Maybe he drank the Fitz Kool-Aid. Lou had Kool-Aid; Fitz has his own brand 🤣

2 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I like Mercer a lot as well, but I think we should calm down with handing out several 8 year contracts.. that sh!t makes me nervous. Not everyone needs to be locked in for max term. 

I have a feeling that Luke will do enough to get 8 years.  We’ll see about Nemec.  More and more I think Dawson’s the guy who if he wants REALLY big money someday is simply going to have to get it elsewhere.  But yeah I agree…just can’t go max term with everyone.

4 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Boqvist isn't back next season.

Agree, he hasn’t really done enough to be any lock to stick.  

6 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Boqvist isn't back next season.

The sharks should have traded the 6th rounder for him.   By the end of the season he was better than Zetterlund who they apparently coveted (relatively speaking) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StarDew said:

FYI for those (like me) who do not have a Twitter acct, no longer able to view anything on Twitter.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/30/23779764/twitter-blocks-unregistered-users-account-tweets

Just tested it out and, yep. I really jumped through hoops to stop the sign-in popup too. Downloaded all these custom scripts for this app so I could scroll through for the hockey news without it trying to stop me. Oh well. I'll just rely on you all and reddit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is risky 

I read this as Fitz has prices in mind for those guys that he is simply not interested in exceeding.  Guess we’ll find out pretty quickly if the bottom six is going to look considerably different.

Though I like Bastian, I can’t go TOO crazy if he walks.  Boqvist I’m indifferent towards.  McLeod has definitely carved a nice niche for himself…I’ll be sorry to see him go.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I read this as Fitz has prices in mind for those guys that he is simply not interested in exceeding.  Guess we’ll find out pretty quickly if the bottom six is going to look considerably different.

Though I like Bastian, I can’t go TOO crazy if he walks.  Boqvist I’m indifferent towards.  McLeod has definitely carved a nice niche for him…I’ll be sorry to see him go.  

McLeod is a beast in the circle and he was great in the playoffs. Bastian is just a solid bottom six guy. I really want both of them here. We’ll see what the market bears. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have a feeling that Luke will do enough to get 8 years.  We’ll see about Nemec.  More and more I think Dawson’s the guy who if he wants REALLY big money someday is simply going to have to get it elsewhere.  But yeah I agree…just can’t go max term with everyone.

I have a lot of faith that Mercer is going to bloom into something special for us, I can just feel it happening, I like the kid a lot. But you’re right, we can’t give 8 year deals to all of our pieces that we “think” are long term answered because what happens when career changing injuries occur or something else and they start declining.. 5-6 year plans are very solid. 

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

McLeod is a beast in the circle and he was great in the playoffs. Bastian is just a solid bottom six guy. I really want both of them here. We’ll see what the market bears. 

Same, I’d like to see them stick around.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Though I like Bastian, I can’t go TOO crazy if he walks.  Boqvist I’m indifferent towards.  McLeod has definitely carved a nice niche for him…I’ll be sorry to see him go.  

It's not really the bottom six, just the 4th line. I don't normally think too much of McLeod but he upped his game in the playoffs, so I'd quite like to see him back. 

I'm definitely interested to see if Fitz signs any free agents today. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another depth defenceman signed. Going with two rookies and a question mark in Bahl is a slightly risky strategy.

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

It's not really the bottom six, just the 4th line. I don't normally think too much of McLeod but he upped his game in the playoffs, so I'd quite like to see him back. 

I'm definitely interested to see if Fitz signs any free agents today. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another depth defenceman signed. Going with two rookies and a question mark in Bahl is a slightly risky strategy.

Yeah you’re right, more the 4th line that could be markedly different.

And yeah if McLeod and Bastian head elsewhere, very curious to see what Fitz’s Plan B is (hitting the UFA market, replacing from within, etc).

We need someone like Mcleod for the faceoff wins in critical situations, he was almost 10% better than the nearest teammate during the regular season. I Hope he stays too.

Bastian has his uses too but he isn't so high above replacement level from AHL to break the bank for. BO looked good at times but others he just vanished.

• Like 4