2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know it's been mentioned before but I think it's the easiest non silly thing to change. Just don't switch ends for ot like they currently do. That keeps the benches closer to make changes and might solve some of the looping out issues.

This would be good. Give them 10 minutes on 3v3 plus that and it'll be fine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Believe it or not, I've seen a lot of people supporting a rule like not allowing teams to leave the zone once they cross the blue line into their Ozone.

This is obviously to create more parity in OT because old, slow, or defensive minded teams are not as good at maintaining possession.

What the he does that mean? Can't leave the zone once you're in the offensive zone?  Until when?  The other team gets the puck?  That seems pretty stupid and also would be really hard to maintain - having to navigate offsides is already challenging enough. With Puck possession being so important, all you have to do is watch any one game in overtime and you can see how players frequently have a hard time staying inside the blue line to stay onside. 

If you mandated that they can't leave the zone, I feel like they would inadvertently come outside of it on accident all the time. And what would happen if they do...a penalty?

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Believe it or not, I've seen a lot of people supporting a rule like not allowing teams to leave the zone once they cross the blue line into their Ozone.

This is obviously to create more parity in OT because old, slow, or defensive minded teams are not as good at maintaining possession.

What the he does that mean? Can't leave the zone once you're in the offensive zone?  Until when?  The other team gets the puck?  That seems pretty stupid and also would be really hard to maintain - having to navigate offsides is already challenging enough. With Puck possession being so important, all you have to do is watch any one game in overtime and you can see how players frequently have a hard time staying inside the blue line to stay onside. 

If you mandated that they can't leave the zone, I feel like they would inadvertently come outside of it on accident all the time. And what would happen if they do...a penalty?

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It means you cannot leave the zone and regroup with the puck or they call the play dead. Once you're in you gotta take the shot or dump the puck.

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Some really bad luck for the Sabres and Devils so far. Two young teams many thought would take the next step. 

They are already down a good youngster in Quinn. They lost Tuch recently. 

Neither team has weathered the injury flurry very well. Poor Devon Levi got lit up tonight against BOS. He's on my fantasy team and I almost cried when I saw he was a 8.00 GAA tonight. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Although the Devils’ foremost roster needs are at the defensive end, I wonder if they’re among the teams talking to Patrick Kane (the article doesn’t mention them, however).

Link

I don't think he fits in with the team's core competency(speed) and if they do pick him up it would need tk be for cheap and with the understsnding that once they do their asses are right at the cap. It's not worth it.

Canes lose to the Flyers 3-1 and are now 9-7 through 16 games.

Devils aren't the only team with expectations that's not flying out of the gate.  

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 7:58 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

It means you cannot leave the zone and regroup with the puck or they call the play dead. Once you're in you gotta take the shot or dump the puck.

Man, I foresee that happening a ton, which would be stupid. A whistle would be called so often, especially if there's no consequences (i.e. a penalty) for doing it.  If a player feels pressure near the blue line while he's in the offensive zone, rather than turn the puck over and risk a dangerous odd man rush the other way, he could just step out of the zone and get a free whistle.  Sort of like when players would flip the puck out of the D zone if they were in trouble, before they instituted a delay of game penalty several years ago (though I don't actually believe players did that on purpose, to me it was more accidental). 

Edited by NJDfan1711

41 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Man, I foresee that happening a ton, which would be stupid. A whistle would be called so often, especially if there's no consequences (i.e. a penalty) for doing it.  If a player feels pressure near the blue line while he's in the offensive zone, rather than turn the puck over and risk a dangerous odd man rush the other way, he could just step out of the zone and get a free whistle.  Sort of like when players would flip the puck out of the D zone if they were in trouble, before they instituted a delay of game penalty several years ago (though I don't actually believe players did that on purpose, to me it was more accidental). 

This league really needs to stop letting old heads make decisions and rely on their competition committee. It’s beyond stupid that people who no longer are playing or haven’t ever played in the league are making literal game-changing decisions when it’s nothing that the fans want.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

This league really needs to stop letting old heads make decisions and rely on their competition committee. It’s beyond stupid that people who no longer are playing or haven’t ever played in the league are making literal game-changing decisions when it’s nothing that the fans want.

But like @MadDog2020 said perfectly:  Bettman & Co will just tell you what you really want.  They know better.

They're lucky that a HUGE influx of stars is making the NHL a compelling product...of course, now it's a question of those players being able to stay healthy.  Injuries will happen, but never a good thing for the league when guys like Jack (hopefully back soon) and Tage Thompson and others miss significant time.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But like @MadDog2020 said perfectly:  Bettman & Co will just tell you what you really want.  They know better.

They're lucky that a HUGE influx of stars is making the NHL a compelling product...of course, now it's a question of those players being able to stay healthy.  Injuries will happen, but never a good thing for the league when guys like Jack (hopefully back soon) and Tage Thompson and others miss significant time.

Gary legit came out and said people love the digital ads on the boards so yeah they spin everything and anything. 

Best game in the world and easily the worst league of the top however many leagues you wanna include. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Gary legit came out and said people love the digital ads on the boards so yeah they spin everything and anything. 

Best game in the world and easily the worst league of the top however many leagues you wanna include. 

I hate people who say stuff that's quite literally factually untrue. I would love it if someone called him out on that and asked him to prove and show any example of so-called people who love those digital ads. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I hate people who say stuff that's quite literally factually untrue. I would love it if someone called him out on that and asked him to prove and show any example of so-called people who love those digital ads. 

Yes we’d all love that; but no one ever will, because that means goodbye to their access. Bettman is notoriously think-skinned, as are most narcissistic a$$holes like him. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

Isles drop their 7th straight, after losing in an 8-round shootout.  They have notched a few charity points in there (they’ve gone 0-4-3), but just 15 goals scored in those games…ouch.

Their PK has killed just 67.9% of their opponents’ power plays…and they’ve given up 12 goals on their last 24 PKs.  That’s nASS-level sh!t right there.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Speaking of disappointments

I understand people's frustration with Timo's "slow" start (5g 6a), but holy sh!t did we luck the hell out not getting Johnny Fraud. This is no less than the second time this season already he's been benched late in a 3rd period of a game his team is trailing in. Just 1 goal this year too.

I know CBJ is awful, but Johnny boy has it in cruise control out there since getting his payday.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I understand people's frustration with Timo's "slow" start (5g 6a), but holy sh!t did we luck the hell out not getting Johnny Fraud. This is no less than the second time this season already he's been benched late in a 3rd period of a game his team is trailing in. Just 1 goal this year too.

I know CBJ is awful, but Johnny boy has it in cruise control out there since getting his payday.

In hindsight it’s hard to really dunk on that deal all that much since Fitz panicked and overpaid Palat after not landing JG. At least he’s a much less expensive disappointment I guess. 

53 minutes ago, jagknife said:

All of Timo's points have come since he was benched...he does have 11 points in his last 11 games...unfortunately, he's also a -12 in those games.  Not really sure how much of that falls directly on him, as it's not like the Devils have been playing great defense as a team (hoping last night is the beginning of the end of that).

Here's the funny thing, re:  Gaudreau:

2019-20 and 2020-21:  126 GP, 37 G, 70 A, 107 Pts (24 G and 46 A per 82 GP)

So far, as a Blue Jacket:  97 GP, 22 G, 58 A, 80 Pts (19 G and 49 A per 82 GP)

He's only shot 2.5% so far this season...that obviously will go up, so with better puck luck, his BJ numbers should wind up being closer to his 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons.  But maybe this is simply a case of the Gaudreau that the BJ's bought really being MUCH closer to the real Gaudreau, than the one who enjoyed a big-time career year in 2021-22.  I wasn't that keen on him coming here to begin with, so I wasn't upset that the Devils didn't land him.

But the guy that they pivoted to, in Palat...he's had some moments, but hoping for a little more than just moments.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976