2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Meanwhile Torts has an inferior roster to ours playing out of their minds. Sure they’re coming back to earth but they sprinted long enough to ride a wave for now.

They’ve actually won 3 in a row now. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I like Fitz in general but man he really gets quiet when things don’t go according to plan.

Which, to me, is a huge red flag.  Accountability is always important, but it’s most important when things go badly.

• Like 2

The jury is still out on Fitz as far as I’m concerned. He signed Jack and Bratt to great deals, and landed Dougie, but his recent trades aren’t looking particularly good. And then there’s extending Lindy and the goaltending debacle. 

• Like 2

For those who want a goalie so bad, why is Brayden Holtby a free agent?  Dude is only 34, has a bad year with the Canucks a couple years ago but his year with the Stars was fine. 

Couldn't sign him to a short and inexpensive contract?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

For those who want a goalie so bad, why is Brayden Holtby a free agent?  Dude is only 34, has a bad year with the Canucks a couple years ago but his year with the Stars was fine. 

It would almost be worth scooping him for the rest of the season and just seeing if he could outperform the junk we currently are stuck with. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Missing 2 top 4 d, and playing 2 rookies. Yet the coaches have done nothing (before last night) to tighten up the defensive system to make things any easier for them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I wanna say he had hip issues? But if he’s willing to come here and play, I’m literally for everything including a shooter tutor being strapped to the goal in place of VV

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I wanna say he had hip issues? But if he’s willing to come here and play, I’m literally for everything including a shooter tutor being strapped to the goal in place of VV

According to this (very nice) article, he suffered an unspecified lower body injury but filled in for Anton Khudobin while with the Stars because of his hip injury.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Interesting take about Holtz being on Jack’s wing for that game. I have to say I would be pretty upset if Holtz went the other way in a trade for Markstrom. If that’s really what the trade was looking like, then I’m glad the flames owners are so cheap. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would be bummed to give up on Holtz now that he's kind of turned the corner but I think the Flames have an Owner that refuses to rebuild so a package of futures probably doesn't do it.   

Is retention on a 6 million AAV above average goaltender really a deal breaker for us assuming they're taking Vanacek back?   We still have the Hamilton LTIR space to get through this year.  Going forward, maybe Fitz needs to budget more that 5% of our cap towards the position.  Besides, term is usually what gets you in trouble with goalies, not AAV.       

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Interesting take about Holtz being on Jack’s wing for that game. I have to say I would be pretty upset if Holtz went the other way in a trade for Markstrom. If that’s really what the trade was looking like, then I’m glad the flames owners are so cheap. 

Yup. I suggested this was exactly what was happening in a post before the Calgary game.

Still hoping it’s Casey instead. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I would be bummed to give up on Holtz now that he's kind of turned the corner but I think the Flames have an Owner that refuses to rebuild so a package of futures probably doesn't do it.   

Is retention on a 6 million AAV above average goaltender really a deal breaker for us assuming they're taking Vanacek back?   We still have the Hamilton LTIR space to get through this year.  Going forward, maybe Fitz needs to budget more that 5% of our cap towards the position.  Besides, term is usually what gets you in trouble with goalies, not AAV.       

I’m guessing Fitz’s concern about retention isn’t about the rest of this season. 

Interesting that if Holtz goes then Fitz will have traded two of his three first rounders that year for vets. He better be right about whom he’s chosen to invest in. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smelly said:

I’m guessing Fitz’s concern about retention isn’t about the rest of this season. 

Yeah it’s no doubt to do with the final two seasons at $6 million per. Fitz is probably asking for 50% retention. I wonder if there’s a compromise. 

23 minutes ago, smelly said:

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah it’s no doubt to do with the final two seasons at $6 million per. Fitz is probably asking for 50% retention. I wonder if there’s a compromise. 

Understood.  I guess I should have been clearer in the main part of my point.  Is paying full salary for a good/great goalie making 6 million AAV really a deal breaker or should we be allotting more than 5% of our cap room to the position?   We're spending 4.25 right now on this tandem and it's among the worst in the league.  Also factor in that the salary cap is going up so it will be a smaller percentage than the 7.2% he takes up now.   

Edited by Lateralous

Interesting segment from the article... 

"Yesterday, Elliotte Friedman reported that although the deal died, the Devils and Flames were in agreement on a package that worked for both teams. The Devils were reportedly ready to at least make Swedish sniper Alexander Holtz as part of the transaction.

However, Friedman also reported that he believed the issue between the two teams was Calgary retaining salary on Markstrom’s $6 million cap hit. Now, Seravalli believes the Devils will need to look elsewhere for help in goal."

Edited by Satans Hockey