2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

He lives in New Hope, PA.

Not sure the Flyers won't be pushing hard to bring him back in the fold.

I don’t think the Flyers will fire Torts, though, as he’s gotten way more out of that team than was expected.  Things might be different a year from now, but he should be safe for the time being.

6 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

He lives in New Hope, PA.

Not sure the Flyers won't be pushing hard to bring him back in the fold.

Torts isn’t going anywhere. 

Berube will get another HC job. He doesn’t need to settle for an assistant position. 

• Like 2

At least our offseason will be interesting to follow. New head coach, high-ish draft pick, trades…

Also will give players chance to really recover from lingering issues. Jack getting hurt in St. Louis was the downfall for us. 

Edited by devlman
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I don’t think the Flyers will fire Torts, though, as he’s gotten way more out of that team than was expected.  Things might be different a year from now, but he should be safe for the time being.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean the Flyer's aren't preparing for life after Torts or have an insurance plan while he is here. I don't think the Devils have enough to keep him from going back to Philly. The desire to have him in the Flyer's organization is really strong. The contract $$$ will have to be large to have him come here and take that orange blood out of his thought process.

Edited by hystyk28

17 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

Agreed, but that doesn't mean the Flyer's aren't preparing for life after Torts or have an insurance plan while he is here. I don't think the Devils have enough to keep him from going back to Philly. The desire to have him in the Flyer's organization is really strong. The contract $$$ will have to be large to have him come here and take that orange blood out of his thought process.

The Flyers might want Berube in their organization, but he wants to coach again and likely wouldn’t take an assistant coaching position with them on the chance that he might get promoted 1-2 years from now.  He’s also not likely to let any pre-existing loyalty stop him from pursuing a viable job opportunity.  Historical rivalries matter to fans but are less important to players and coaches, who understand that the NHL is ultimately a business.

29 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

The Flyers might want Berube in their organization, but he wants to coach again and likely wouldn’t take an assistant coaching position with them on the chance that he might get promoted 1-2 years from now.  He’s also not likely to let any pre-existing loyalty stop him from pursuing a viable job opportunity.  Historical rivalries matter to fans but are less important to players and coaches, who understand that the NHL is ultimately a business.

We will see, but don't be surprised to see Berube take a front office job with the Flyer's.  You have been warned. The offer to coach in NJ, now here I am guessing...will have to be substantial to have him consider it.

10 minutes ago, hystyk28 said:

We will see, but don't be surprised to see Berube take a front office job with the Flyer's.  You have been warned. The offer to coach in NJ, now here I am guessing...will have to be substantial to have him consider it.

You got an insider? Sounds like you may lol

5 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agree that Torts is probably safe (the Flyers were NOT expected to be in a playoff chase this season), but like I mentioned previously, a little too much of the old Torts came out as the Flyers struggled down the stretch.  I'm not sure that constantly berating your players in the press is the way to go.  I think Torts definitely brings some positives to the table, and I think that he did a hell of a job to get them as far as he did before it all crashed and burned, but when Evil Torts comes out, he has a way of shortening his coaching stays. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree that Torts is probably safe (the Flyers were NOT expected to be in a playoff chase this season), but like I mentioned previously, a little too much of the old Torts came out as the Flyers struggled down the stretch.  I'm not sure that constantly berating your players in the press is the way to go.  I think Torts definitely brings some positives to the table, and I think that he did a hell of a job to get them as far as he did before it all crashed and burned, but when Evil Torts comes out, he has a way of shortening his coaching stays. 

Agreed, which is why I think he’s safe for now, but he may be gone in another year or two.

Why would Berube take a front office job unless he gets no coaching offers at all?  Or at least none where he'd have autonomy (I doubt ours would be one where he would).

It's not like we'll be the only job that - should - be opening up this offseason either.  Ottawa should be open.  The Isles might be open depending on Lou's whims if they miss the playoffs.  The Kings still have an interim, who knows there.

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Why would Berube take a front office job unless he gets no coaching offers at all?  Or at least none where he'd have autonomy (I doubt ours would be one where he would).

I heard a rumor not long ago (I think it was on Sirius) that Torts wanted to move into a front office role. Now if that’s true, the Flyers having interest in Berube makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 1
  • Vomiting 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I heard a rumor not long ago (I think it was on Sirius) that Torts wanted to move into a front office role. Now if that’s true, the Flyers having interest in Berube makes a lot of sense. 

Has Trotz made moving upstairs a hipster thing to do?  GM's do tend to have more job security than coaches though.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Has Trotz made moving upstairs a hipster thing to do?  GM's do tend to have more job security than coaches though.

Yeah maybe Trotz started a trend lol; but in Torts’ case I think we all know he wouldn’t be GM. Maybe he joins the executive team there in some capacity though. But I’d much prefer he stay behind the bench so the Devils can hire Berube, obviously.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 5:47 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Was the only player this season who gave it everything he could EVERY game. shame

That's beyond sad in itself.

Hopefully it's nothing major and he makes a full recovery.

• Like 1