GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:30 PM MSG NHLN

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Just noticed Meier got a much needed point on the game winner.   Obviously he didn’t really have much to do with the goal but hopefully the 2 point night relieves some of the pressure.   He was definitely much better tonight 

Lindy just mentioned him. Said he was better, more disciplined and made a few good plays. 

I agree. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Lindy said Nico has an upper body injury and they’ll see how he’s doing tomorrow.

I would bet it's a shoulder as I was looking at the replay on the MSG+ feed. I don't want to say it was dirty or anything, but fvck that guy Pulock.  

Nobody touches the Swiss Prince. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

I would bet it's a shoulder as I was looking at the replay on the MSG+ feed. I don't want to say it was dirty or anything, but fvck that guy Pulock.  

Nobody touches the Swiss Prince. 

I could be wrong, but I want to say Nico makes the play a lot where he reaches in and extends himself to advance a puck along the wall like that. It puts him in a vulnerable position.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I could be wrong, but I want to say Nico makes the play a lot where he reaches in and extends himself to advance a puck along the wall like that. It puts him in a vulnerable position.

I love his effort but sometimes I’d like to see him play off the wall once in a while. He’s got speed and skill but too often looks to play along the boards like he’s 6’4, 220lbs. Id love to see him play with some confidence and be a bit more selfish, too.

On a somewhat related topic, we still have other key guys yet to get going (Mercer, Marino, Nico, goalies) and when they do this wagon is going to roll over the league.

Just now, Nicomo said:

How did Holtz look?

I’m the biggest Holtz fan boy on this site and he honestly was average at best imo. He did have a nifty grade A scoring chance and one nice pass to set up Nico and a couple nice defensive plays. However, his hockey awareness was lacking at times. Hopefully that’s an experience thing and not a lack of hockey IQ thing.

16 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’m the biggest Holtz fan boy on this site and he honestly was average at best imo. He did have a nifty grade A scoring chance and one nice pass to set up Nico and a couple nice defensive plays. However, his hockey awareness was lacking at times. Hopefully that’s an experience thing and not a lack of hockey IQ thing.

I am more of a Holtz doubter and I thought he had his most sound and overall sold game of the season.

As long as I can see... Everytime Schmid will be our goalie, offense will have to be extra awesome... because i have no faith in him to steal us some games ! (yes he did in the playoff yadiyadiyada) 

Thanks mephistopheles we got Jack ! 

I think it’s becoming more and more apparent that we need to address the goaltending situation. Management already knows this, more and more people are acknowledging the fact, a handful around here still have the blinders on and don’t want to believe it but it is what it is. If the team wants to go deep it’s not going to happen/ will be tough with the tandem we have. I’d bet on us kicking tires on different options by the deadline. 

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I think it’s becoming more and more apparent that we need to address the goaltending situation. Management already knows this, more and more people are acknowledging the fact, a handful around here still have the blinders on and don’t want to believe it but it is what it is. If the team wants to go deep it’s not going to happen/ will be tough with the tandem we have. I’d bet on us kicking tires on different options by the deadline. 

It’s four games man.  VV was fine last year (in the regular season), and Schmid showed promise.

If both of them had put up .920ish save%s to date, are you putting up this post?  Honestly, probably not.  Look at Shesterkin and Hellebuyck’s numbers so far.  Small samples.

I’m not saying that this tandem is absolutely the twosome that will lead the Devils to a Cup one day.  I am saying that VV is a solid goalie based on his overall track record, and it’s too early to assume Schmid can’t possibly handle being a 1A or 1B.  Maybe just let the season breathe a little first?  Can you give them more than two starts each before writing them off as some major problem? 

And feel free to list names of who you think that the Devils will be able to nab, and what the cost might be.  It’s not as easy as you’re making it sound.  It will probably be months before a potential upgrade might be available…and then of course there’s cap issues to consider.

• Like 2

Vv had a great season last year, imo above average for him and I honestly don’t see him doing that again. I get it, the season just started but I just don’t see them being the duo here to hold us down. Believe me, I hope I’m wrong! I’m not trying to write them off/ I don’t want to but it’s imo the reality of what I think we have here. As far as who could be available, I have no clue, I don’t work for devils management however I trust whatever moves they decide to make. 

Edited by 2ELIAS6

3 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Vv had a great season last year, imo above average for him and I honestly don’t see him doing that again. I get it, the season just started but I just don’t see them being the duo here to hold us down. Believe me, I hope I’m wrong! I’m not trying to write them off/ I don’t want to but it’s imo the reality of what I think we have here. As far as who could be available, I have no clue, I don’t work for devils management however I trust whatever moves they decide to make. 

The good news re:  VV is that his numbers weren’t wildly better than in previous seasons.  I’d be surprised if he didn’t finish in the .910 - .915 range for save% by season’s end.

Schmid is obviously more of a wild card because he simply hasn’t had enough time with the big club yet.  But we’re gonna find out about him soon enough…this is a big year for him.

Re:  possible names, the problem is guys like Sorokin and those truly elite goalies just aren’t available right now.  If you really want to shake up the goaltending, you’re probably looking at Gibson and Binnington types.  Nope, I don’t want those guys either.  So for now it’s give the guys in house plenty of games and hope at the very least they can approximate last season’s numbers.

Last night was a bad performance by Schmid.   All four goals were savable.  That being said, I really don't think it's panic time.   I thought both goalies were good in their first performance, it was the team in front of them that looked like trash, especially in the first periods where the goalies kept us in it.  The schedule is also a little choppy to start the year with the goalies going a week between starts.  It also doesn't help that B Smith has been the absolute worst version of himself through 4 games (<-- knock on wood, I hope there isn't a worse level)   

I think we just stay the course for now and I'm sure Fitz will add another goalie if we get 50 games in and are still needing to just outscore the opponent like we did last night.      

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Last night was a bad performance by Schmid.   All four goals were savable.  That being said, I really don't think it's panic time.   I thought both goalies were good in their first performance, it was the team in front of them that looked like trash, especially in the first periods where the goalies kept us in it.  The schedule is also a little choppy to start the year with the goalies going a week between starts.  It also doesn't help that B Smith has been the absolute worst version of himself through 4 games (<-- knock on wood, I hope there isn't a worse level)   

I think we just stay the course for now and I'm sure Fitz will add another goalie if we get 50 games in and are still needing to just outscore the opponent like we did last night.      

Not a great performance by Schmid, but the Isles did get some insanely wide-open looks…Horvat could’ve set up a campfire and made himself some s’mores with the amount of time he was left alone on his first goal.  And though the Isles aren’t a great offensive team…they have guys who can hurt you if you give them too much space.

I do like that Ruff didn’t make any excuses for Schmid…he’s challenging his players this year.  I like the approach.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

team needs to start gellin soon. can't put the games on jack's back, even though he prolly loves it. 

I only got to see the second half of the game but overall from what I saw I really liked their game. Meier looked like the Meier we thought he was, bratt is just fantastic, Hughes I don’t need to say a word, some of the D struggles a bit, the goaltending I thought was weak and concerning if that’s what it’s going to be. But our forward group I thought looked spot on. Toffoli was excellent, bastian was robbed out of one notable goal, McLeod I felt looked solid as well, just to name a handful. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I only got to see the second half of the game but overall from what I saw I really liked their game. Meier looked like the Meier we thought he was, bratt is just fantastic, Hughes I don’t need to say a word, some of the D struggles a bit, the goaltending I thought was weak and concerning if that’s what it’s going to be. But our forward group I thought looked spot on. Toffoli was excellent, bastian was robbed out of one notable goal, McLeod I felt looked solid as well, just to name a handful. 

The difference between last year and this year is both our goal tenders have been scouted. Today, every team knows their weaknesses and look for them to exploit it. Hope they improve or hope Fitz looks for better stability.

3 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

The difference between last year and this year is both our goal tenders have been scouted. Today, every team knows their weaknesses and look for them to exploit it. Hope they improve or hope Fitz looks for better stability.

VV isn’t exactly new to the NHL…he did have two full seasons prior to this one.  And his numbers in those seasons weren’t much different than last year’s.

I’d be surprised if those two had been all that more heavily scouted than any other team’s goalies.  Maybe Schmid a little just because he probably got teams’ attention due to getting hot in the Rangers series.  Don’t really see this as a “OMG the league figured out the Devils’ goalies so now what?!” scenario.