official off topic thread

pumpkin cutter

• 3 weeks later...

So I’m a massive fan of Christmas. Obviously as a kid I loved the presents, now it’s a chance to get home with the family’s, take a break and if the schedule falls right I see the devils at least once.

I also enjoy Christmas music cause of nostalgia. But man some stations are really overdoing it. Down by me a station went to Christmas no later than the 15th.

On top of it, I discovered that fact by changing to the station and was greeted by Wham Last Christmas… if the rule for Whamageddon was anytime hearing the song, I would have been out the first Christmas song I heard this year… 

20 hours ago, jagknife said:

So I’m a massive fan of Christmas. Obviously as a kid I loved the presents, now it’s a chance to get home with the family’s, take a break and if the schedule falls right I see the devils at least once.

I also enjoy Christmas music cause of nostalgia. But man some stations are really overdoing it. Down by me a station went to Christmas no later than the 15th.

On top of it, I discovered that fact by changing to the station and was greeted by Wham Last Christmas… if the rule for Whamageddon was anytime hearing the song, I would have been out the first Christmas song I heard this year… 

Funny you should mention this…Thanksgiving is largely forgotten now…not celebrating the holiday itself (or time spent with family), but it’s pretty much now Halloween - Black Friday specials/rioting - Christmas.  And Xmas hype pretty much starts almost immediately after Halloween now…that was NOT the case when I was a kid in the 80s.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I just saw the movie, which was based on the hilarious Eli Roth fake trailer from 2007 (the grindhouse movies).  It absolutely nailed the whole 80s slasher flick vibe, though it takes place in modern times, with cell phones featuring heavily into much of the plot.  Was a definitely a fun watch if you’re into slashers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I just saw the movie, which was based on the hilarious Eli Roth fake trailer from 2007 (the grindhouse movies).  It absolutely nailed the whole 80s slasher flick vibe, though it takes place in modern times, with cell phones featuring heavily into much of the plot.  Was a definitely a fun watch if you’re into slashers.

Nice. We’re seeing this tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nice. We’re seeing this tonight.

PLENTY of homages paid to the original trailer by the way, in a really good way. 

I won't give anything away, but the first scene is really a great statement on the pure madness of mass consumerism these days...and what's kinda sad is that scene doesn't really even seem over-the-top...sh!t like that DOES happen quite a bit, and when you think about it, over WHAT?  Is there any product or sale SO friggin' amazing that it's worth fighting and rioting over?

I don't know about you or anyone else, but the older that I get, the more that I just see a lot of stuff as, well, STUFF.  I remember at one point, buying a couple of different video game systems on their launch days...not doing anything so crazy like camping out for days or any crap like that, but being among the first to show up, and then moving as quickly as I could (while avoiding the crazier folk) to secure myself a system.  I don't really play much anymore, but when I see people losing their sh!t over a $300 TV or something else and flat-out mayhem breaking out over STUFF...I just kinda shake my head now.     

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

PLENTY of homages paid to the original trailer by the way, in a really good way. 

I won't give anything away, but the first scene is really a great statement on the pure madness of mass consumerism these days...and what's kinda sad is that scene doesn't really even seem over-the-top...sh!t like that DOES happen quite a bit, and when you think about it, over WHAT?  Is there any product or sale SO friggin' amazing that it's worth fighting and rioting over?

I don't know about you or anyone else, but the older that I get, the more that I just see a lot of stuff as, well, STUFF.  I remember at one point, buying a couple of different video game systems on their launch days...not doing anything so crazy like camping out for days or any crap like that, but being among the first to show up, and then moving as quickly as I could (while avoiding the crazier folk) to secure myself a system.  I don't really play much anymore, but when I see people losing their sh!t over a $300 TV or something else and flat-out mayhem breaking out over STUFF...I just kinda shake my head now.     

Every year around Thanksgiving, I revisit this video.

Sad what people can turn into over meaningless sh!t.

• 2 months later...

Shooting at the KC superbowl parade, 10 shot apparently. Not sure more details yet. 

Would be nice if we can wake up one day and finally do something about innocent people being shot. Absolutely insanity that we just wash and repeat with this stuff and never change anything. I still can't believe that Sandy Hook wasn't the final straw for people and that it happened over a decade ago. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Shooting at the KC superbowl parade, 10 shot apparently. Not sure more details yet. 

Would be nice if we can wake up one day and finally do something about innocent people being shot. Absolutely insanity that we just wash and repeat with this stuff and never change anything. I still can't believe that Sandy Hook wasn't the final straw for people and that it happened over a decade ago. 

It's been on the news all day. 1 killed 8 hurt 1 minor injury or something like that. 2 suspects held. ppl want to have guns and allow slack/no laws and this is what we get over and over and over. Will it ever stop? Sadly I have little hope. 😔

• Sad 4

Now 3 suspects, one dead, 22 wounded.  Quite sadly gotta think we might see a lot less celebratory parades for sports championships…or maybe such celebrations become stadium and arena events only, complete with security checks.

Yeah just like everyone else who’s largely “normal”, really sick of people who suck and have no issue ruining everything for everyone.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

It's okay, the anti-control crowd is already claiming this is a false-flag operation so 'they' can come and take your guns. I personally love firearms but this sh!t needs to change big time. This is the ONLY country where this is a daily occurrence. Absolute brainrot.

Completely agree, and it’s absolutely disgusting that anyone would keep politicizing the issue.  Is it too much to ask that people be allowed to gather at parades or in churches or schools without being shot?  When I was a kid (I’m 41), I never even had to think about the idea of an active shooter drill, let alone participate in one.  Today, it’s a regular occurrence because mass shootings happen just about every day.

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Apparently a bunch of kids got wounded, a video showed up in my feed of one. My stomachs turning, effed up.

Hope they all recover fully

I did also see a video of some fans tackling one of the shooters and holding him there for the police. Some heroic stuff right there. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Completely agree, and it’s absolutely disgusting that anyone would keep politicizing the issue.  Is it too much to ask that people be allowed to gather at parades or in churches or schools without being shot?  When I was a kid (I’m 41), I never even had to think about the idea of an active shooter drill, let alone participate in one.  Today, it’s a regular occurrence because mass shootings happen just about every day.

I’d like to consider myself as middle ground as I can when it comes to politics. I’m a gun owner, have my concealed carry, have a safe, store ammo separately from the guns themselves and qualify for work every few years.

Do I think we need background checks for firearms? You bet. 

Do I think the 2nd amendment needs to be revisited? 100%. It was for ability to create a standing militia, this isn’t the 18th century anymore, King Charles isn’t going to sail across the pond to invade.

Do I think sweeping government legislation will fix our issue in this country? Unfortunately not in this political climate.

You both are 100% correct, it is abhorrent we have to worry about sh!t like this, getting shot by some a$$hole doing day to day things. I hate that our bomb/tornado drills have been replaced by active shooter exercises.

My issue isn’t the policy, it’s the people who DON’T follow that policy. The ease of acquiring a gun by any of us would be limited and controlled, good, we should have a means to verify our heads are screwed on straight and we don’t have any red flags. But then you have the people who want to commit violence who will do so anyway. Bad egg steals mom’s gun (or worse has gun bought for them by parent), gang member buys stolen gun or smuggled gun, etc.

There’s more layers I’d write about, I don’t want this to devolve and generate hostility and everything.

we need change (great, I’m sounding like a politician) but what exactly that change and reform is I don’t have the answer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2