GDT: Devils @ wsh Lower Cases, 7:30 pm, TNT - First Game of 2024

Here we go!

We all know the deal...Devils have had their share of issues, but find themselves firmly in the WC chase, and not even THAT far out of second place in the Metro, once you factor in games in hand.  Things could really be a lot worse than they're made out to be.

That being said...I'm sorry, no excuses vs Washington.  Devils have played well on the road for the most part AND tonight face a team that not only played last night, but had to travel to boot; Devils are obviously rested.  For once, maybe Lindy can actually have his team prepared to come out flying against their opponent (that's somehow managed to light up the Devils twice already), AND be able to make adjustments other than "Please Jack save me!" or "Time to plug in the line blender!"  

Would be nice to see the Devils get this one AND the one against the Blackhawks, who currently cannot get out of their own way.  Blackhawks are 2-8-1 in their last 11 and have been outscored 50-24.  If the Devils pull another Ducks or Sharks debacle AT HOME to yet another team that didn't seem to have any answers at all until they faced the Devils...I'm sorry, if that happens AGAIN, I don't know how anyone can still believe that Lindy might somehow be the right guy to lead this team to where we think it can go in time.  Not saying everything that hasn't gone according to plan is ALL on him, but a Sharks team that's earned its only regulation road win ALL SEASON against the Devils...and then for the Devils to lose at home to a Ducks team that had lost 13 out of 14 coming in...I just...can't anymore.  

I'm on board with Daws getting the start tonight.  Why not? 

L G M F D!!!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

Yesterday I got an email from the caps for two tickets and two beers for $99 to this game. I was tempted but it is a pain in the butt to get to DC on a work day and the Devils have had some rough games against them this year. So I decided against and I will just watch from my own home.

Let's Go Devils!!! Start the year off right!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mindcrime30 said:

Huge game standings wise - winner takes the WC #2 spot

NJ takes the position with a win; points will be tied but NJ has more regulation wins

With a Caps (regulation) win, they stay in the WC #2 spot and have 4 points on NJ

To expand on the above, here's the good news:

2nd place Metro:  Hurricanes, 38 GP, 46 Pts

3rd place Metro:  Islanders, 37 GP, 44 Pts

1st place, WC:  Flyers, 37 GP, 43 Pts

2nd place, WC:  Caps, 35 GP, 42 Pts

3rd place, WC:  Lightning, 39 GP, 41 Pts

4th place, WC:  Devils, 35 GP, 40 Pts

The Devils really are SO right there, with games in hand on almost everyone, and with what should be two winnable games tonight and Fri...the Caps played last night, and the Blackhawks will also be coming off having played the night before, when they face the Devils on Friday.  With Vancouver coming in on Saturday (will it come as any great shock if the Devils get squashed in that one?), these two games feel like must-wins, dramatic as that sounds.  I really don't want the Devils to go into Saturday's game absolutely NEEDING two points.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To expand on the above, here's the good news:

2nd place Metro:  Hurricanes, 38 GP, 46 Pts

3rd place Metro:  Islanders, 37 GP, 44 Pts

1st place, WC:  Flyers, 37 GP, 43 Pts

2nd place, WC:  Caps, 35 GP, 42 Pts

3rd place, WC:  Lightning, 39 GP, 41 Pts

4th place, WC:  Devils, 35 GP, 40 Pts

The Devils really are SO right there, with games in hand on almost everyone, and with what should be two winnable games tonight and Fri...the Caps played last night, and the Blackhawks will also be coming off having played the night before, when they face the Devils on Friday.  With Vancouver coming in on Saturday (will it come as any great shock if the Devils get squashed in that one?), these two games feel like must-wins, dramatic as that sounds.  I really don't want the Devils to go into Saturday's game absolutely NEEDING two points.  

I’ll be thrilled if the Devils can somehow manage to come away with five points from these next three games, but they definitely shouldn’t—and can’t afford to—earn less than four points.  They’ve already given away too many winnable games, including two at home to the same Capitals team they’ll face this evening.

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

With Vancouver coming in on Saturday (will it come as any great shock if the Devils get squashed in that one?), these two games feel like must-wins, dramatic as that sounds.  I really don't want the Devils to go into Saturday's game absolutely NEEDING two points.  

That’s Hughes-a-Palooza II, and the entire Hughes clan will be in the house. I expect an emotional game with the Devils very much engaged. 

• Like 2

With Daws on net we will at least have a chance and team will play with more confidence. That said, it is January, and we need to tighten up defensively. Banish Bahl and Smith to third pairing limited to no more than 14 min a night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s Hughes-a-Palooza II, and the entire Hughes clan will be in the house. I expect an emotional game with the Devils very much engaged. 

I’m hoping that the Devils can win Friday without having to expend too much effort.  They’ll need to have close to a full tank against the ‘Nucks.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Heads up boys. It just sucks that he seemed like he was getting back up to speed. We'll be okay. Injury bug can't keep this team down. 

Other teams have dealt with injuries.  Devils should be able to find ways to do the same.  

• Like 5

Guys. I think I've thought of a solution to the loser point debate around the league. Please give feedback

All things stay equal, but consecutive wins (so more than a steak of W1) get 3 points. You can adjust that on a variable depending on how it performs too, so maybe it's a W2 and that 3rd consecutive win in a row gets you three points and you maintain that through the streak. 

It's a small minor thing that can help the teams that get hot and it rewards them by helping them climb when maybe other teams that are getting a bunch of OTLs just tend to hang in there.  Heard the Chiclets guys mention it today and I thought that could be a relative minor change to introduce that wouldn't rock the boat. 

Edited by RizzMB30

12 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Guys. I think I've thought of a solution to the loser point debate around the league. Please give feedback

All things stay equal, but consecutive wins (so more than a steak of W1) get 3 points. You can adjust that on a variable depending on how it performs too, so maybe it's a W2 and that 3rd consecutive win in a row gets you three points and you maintain that through the streak. 

It's a small minor thing that can help the teams that get hot and it rewards them by helping them climb when maybe other teams that are getting a bunch of OTLs just tend to hang in there.  Heard the Chiclets guys mention it today and I thought that could be a relative minor change to introduce that wouldn't rock the boat. 

I'd still just rather see a 3-2-1-0 system.  My main beef is that some games have two points up for grabs and some three.  If OT/SO wins count for 3 points as part of a streak, now we have 2-point, 3-point, and 4-point games.  Gets even more complicated...just make every game worth 3 points total: 

3 points for a regulation win

2 points for an OT/SO win.  OT wins (along with regulation wins) count towards any tiebreakers.

1 point for an OT/SO loss.

0 points for a regulation loss

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I hate this, wins against different teams shouldn't be worth more points. You could also have something stupid like a team losing their first 11 games like the sharks did to start their season and then for sh!ts and giggles they go on winning streak of 9 games in a row. That would get them 26 points even though they are 9-11 and should really only have 18 points.

If they really want to change something it needs to be the system @Colorado Rockies 1976 said above since we know it's highly unlikely draws are ever brought back.

Personally if I was in charge I'd love to see...

3 points for a win

3 points for an ot win but ot is extended to 10 mins

1 point for a draw

0 points for a loss in regulation or ot

Sure you'll have a team every once in awhile playing the ot to just get 1 point but with the possibility of getting a total of 3 points for an ot win vs just 1 for a draw I feel like most teams will go all out, especially with an extra 5 mins to play. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2