Lindy Ruff RELIEVED Of duties, Green Temp Coach

Colorado Rockies 1976

41 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Chico said he doesn't think Fitz is going to do anything about Lindy on the post game radio show. 

Our team has low standards. 

Complacency. Pathetic for an organization that has 3 championships, and a GM who said we won’t be a doormat anymore.

absolutely pathetic

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Complacency. Pathetic for an organization that has 3 championships, and a GM who said we won’t be a doormat anymore.

absolutely pathetic

The days when the Devils were the class of the NHL have never seemed farther away.

31 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

The days when the Devils were the class of the NHL have never seemed farther away.

The first few years after Lou left was a wasteland of awful. The team had nothing. This isn't that, it's a different sort of frustration. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, andy said:

The first few years after Lou left was a wasteland of awful. The team had nothing. This isn't that, it's a different sort of frustration. 

Speaking only for myself, I think this is worse.  If the Devils were merely a bad team, I could accept the mediocrity to which we’ve been subjected this season, but knowing that the team has the right pieces—minus whatever a competent GM would’ve added by now—makes this entire experience a most bitter pill to swallow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

absolutely pathetic

Of course he won't do anything. Fitz will stick with Lindy until the year finishes and will probably give him another chance next season (citing all the injuries ). Lindy wants Holtz gone so it's only a matter of time until he's part of a trade package. It's a depressing situation.

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1
  • Vomiting 1

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Chico said he doesn't think Fitz is going to do anything about Lindy on the post game radio show. 

The irony is that at this point, if Fitz canned Lindy, even though I would be glad that he would no longer be the coach (I’m sure Holtz would suddenly be breathing a lot easier), I would be thinking “NOW you fvcking fire the guy?!  So NOW that the season’s basically toast you’ve decided he’s no longer the answer, when you had plenty of evidence that was already screaming that he wasn’t the answer WEEKS ago?! Ya know, when the season was still fvcking salvagable?”

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, hit the post said:

Owners are making a fortune......Fvck the fans.....They will stay with Ruff.

Teams lose a ton of money not making the playoffs. No way the owners are ok with this. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Teams lose a ton of money not making the playoffs. No way the owners are ok with this. 

I heard Weekes about a week ago say on NHL Network that he was privy to what the Devils made in playoff revenue last year, and he said the per game numbers were substantial. So yeah no way the owners should be content. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Fitz is asleep at the wheel. This team has much more talent than the flyers, yet they're headed in two different directions. I just can't seem to put my finger on just why. 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I heard Weekes about a week ago say on NHL Network that he was privy to what the Devils made in playoff revenue last year, and he said the per game numbers were substantial. So yeah no way the owners should be content. 

Unlike the regular season, it’s basically pure profit. Seven figs per. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The irony is that at this point, if Fitz canned Lindy, even though I would be glad that he would no longer be the coach (I’m sure Holtz would suddenly be breathing a lot easier), I would be thinking “NOW you fvcking fire the guy?!  So NOW that the season’s basically toast you’ve decided he’s no longer the answer, when you had plenty of evidence that was already screaming that he wasn’t the answer WEEKS ago?! Ya know, when the season was still fvcking salvagable?”

Breathing easier at least until he’s on a plane to Calgary, TN, Boston or somewhere else for a goalie, now or over the summer. 

And as for Holtz’s speculative thoughts - apply same to Fitz’s goalie inaction, wash, rinse, repeat. 

Edited by smelly

I don't think he is either. Why would he? Today was awful......for us fans.  The last couple months have been awful.......for us fans.   He either doesn't give a sh!t, or has no concept or awareness of any urgency.  The season is over now, whether they want to admit it or not.  Canning Lindy now only validates that it should've been done earlier this year.  If Fitz waits 6 more weeks and does it in the off season, he saves a little face (in his own eyes). 

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

Fitz won’t do a thing. Remember when went through 74 goalies a couple of years ago and his solution was Andrew Hammond? 

i think Fitz is a great team builder but he has no idea what to do when things don’t go according to plan. Like Shero it seems he has a plan and if there’s a curveball he just freezes 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Fitz is asleep at the wheel. This team has much more talent than the flyers, yet they're headed in two different directions. I just can't seem to put my finger on just why. 🤔

Because the flyers play hard, aggressive, big boy hockey - Devs don't have those type of players except maybe Tofolli and Smith.  Timo was supposed to be but so far a big disappointment.  They are easy to play against-no one is afraid of them-softest team in the league.  All that "talent" doesn't mean squat if you don't have complementary players to go with it.

No new coach is going to help this team until they add some size/muscle/physicality/etc to the skill they have.    Guys like the one they ironically just lost- 6'2, fast, agressive/relentless.  Fitz should sell, retool for next year.  Even if they miraculously make the playoffs they'll be lucky to just win a game or two.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Because the flyers play hard, aggressive, big boy hockey - Devs don't have those type of players except maybe Tofolli and Smith.  Timo was supposed to be but so far a big disappointment.  They are easy to play against-no one is afraid of them-softest team in the league.  All that "talent" doesn't mean squat if you don't have complementary players to go with it.

No new coach is going to help this team until they add some size/muscle/physicality/etc to the skill they have.    Guys like the one they ironically just lost- 6'2, fast, agressive/relentless.  Fitz should sell, retool for next year.  Even if they miraculously make the playoffs they'll be lucky to just win a game or two.

100% agree. The team has no tenacity or physicality. The Rangers added that mutant goon and another 6'7" winger who likes to hit, and already had Trouba. The Islanders have Martin, Boston...Frederic, etc. Our roster is all speed, finesse, no physicality, and no defense. Which is a hallmark of a Lindy team. Trading for Markstrom or J Saros would be folly at this point because they'll still be hung out to dry by this putrid D.

Yup.  That's why we beat the rags last year.  Two similar teams.  They added muscle, we didn't, but we had young D coming up that needed to play.  Devs actually set the bar so high they could never realistically repeat it+injuries not helping.

I don't think people realize how much the Mcleod debacle affected the lineup.  It's a shame-he was blossoming into a real force and even his offense was coming together.  

This year is not the year to go all in.  Ride it out and make adjustments this summer. That's why I don't blame Lindy that much.  He's got a bunch of offense only players-they really can't play a physical game-they'll get destroyed/injured.

• Like 1

Worth remembering:

“Lindy had a brother named Brent who passed away in 1986 along with 3 other teammates. They played for Swift Current Broncos of the WHL (the same team our prospect Josh Filmon plays for). I'm not gonna say he is doing a good job but when the emotions temper down after a loss you gotta feel for the guy a bit. Granted this is just a sport and family is more important. The guy had to go through the loss of his younger brother way too early. Stuff like that could be extremely hard to live with. Add that to the stress of coaching this team and hearing your name to be fired can take its toll on someone.

I like the four leaf clover logo the Broncos wesr on all their jerseys. It’s a nice tribite to the 4 players. Very classy of them to do that.”

55 minutes ago, smelly said:

Worth remembering:

“Lindy had a brother named Brent who passed away in 1986 along with 3 other teammates. They played for Swift Current Broncos of the WHL (the same team our prospect Josh Filmon plays for). I'm not gonna say he is doing a good job but when the emotions temper down after a loss you gotta feel for the guy a bit. Granted this is just a sport and family is more important. The guy had to go through the loss of his younger brother way too early. Stuff like that could be extremely hard to live with. Add that to the stress of coaching this team and hearing your name to be fired can take its toll on someone.

I like the four leaf clover logo the Broncos wesr on all their jerseys. It’s a nice tribite to the 4 players. Very classy of them to do that.”

I would take a guess and say Lindy would be more annoyed that someone would use his brother's awful tragic death in the manner of being a reason that he should keep his job or a reason why fans shouldn't chant about firing him. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, slasher72 said:

100% agree. The team has no tenacity or physicality. The Rangers added that mutant goon and another 6'7" winger who likes to hit, and already had Trouba. The Islanders have Martin, Boston...Frederic, etc. Our roster is all speed, finesse, no physicality, and no defense. Which is a hallmark of a Lindy team. Trading for Markstrom or J Saros would be folly at this point because they'll still be hung out to dry by this putrid D.

I'm with you on a lot of this but let's not pretend the Islanders are any good, they suck too and would be even lower in the standings without all the extra loser points they pick up, they have 14 loser points, the most in the league. 

I would take a guess and say Lindy would be more annoyed that someone would use his brother's awful tragic death in the manner of being a reason that he should keep his job or a reason why fans shouldn't chant about firing him. 

I know people who have also lost brothers, sisters, parents or even kids, not one of them uses those as reasons why they underperform at a given job.

Whoever wrote that trying to leverage something tragic that happened 40 years ago into a reason why fans should "feel for the guy" is just as pathetic as Fitz' approach to this season.

We all have tragedy in our lives, doesn't excuse the fact he is a bad coach, set in his ways and refuses to adjust with the times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

I know people who have also lost brothers, sisters, parents or even kids, not one of them uses those as reasons why they underperform at a given job.

Whoever wrote that trying to leverage something tragic that happened 40 years ago into a reason why fans should "feel for the guy" is just as pathetic as Fitz' approach to this season.

We all have tragedy in our lives, doesn't excuse the fact he is a bad coach, set in his ways and refuses to adjust with the times.

The point has nothing to do with hockey. 

it’s that regardless of what you think about the hockey, remember that it involves a human being. 

no one need change what they think about whether Lindy should go or not because of this history. But maybe they should think about how they say it. 

not pointing at you specifically,  but there has been a lot of commentary about the civility of the dialogue here, ironically and hypocritically from the very people who have been the most personal, gratuitous, nasty and classless about Lindy in ways that really don’t add anything, aren’t that funny, and are totally uncalled for. 

I can be snarky, and I will absolutely aggressively call out or respond to hockey-related thinking that I absolutely disagree with, but I will never stoop to make fun of another poster, player, coach or manager in an ad hominem, gratuitous, nasty manner about a personal characteristic just because I can anonymously hide behind a message board hundreds of miles away. I wish everyone felt that way. But I also wish that those that clearly don’t were not so unjustifiably sanctimonious. 

Edited by smelly