Lindy Ruff RELIEVED Of duties, Green Temp Coach

Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy sh!t. I'm legitimately stunned.  I can't believe they axed him now of all times.  Sometimes I feel like members of the organization actually read this forum. I mean, look no further than what I actually posted this morning regarding GM's not willing to do the hard things, i.e. fire a coach with 20 games left in the season so that a new coach can take over and get to work with no pressure when it no longer matters.  

Not exactly sure if that's what they're doing in this case because I think we all know Green probably isn't taking over as primary head coach next year, but who knows.  The timing on this is really weird, but at least he did it. That's something. 

Guess we'll see how the fellas respond tomorrow.  

My bet/offer is now modified - if Green takes the Devils 6-0 over the next stretch, I'll get a Stadium Series jersey with Green on the back. 

No backsies. 

21 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I took nothing positive out of that article ..

Exactly. 

3 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Was legitimately surprised to see this. Thought for sure they were riding out the season with lindy since he should've been let go much sooner. Sucks for lindy, he seems like a good guy but he lost the room and was far off from keeping this team competitive.

Now we'll have one less thing to overly complain about! Cheers!

Exactly! I’m very excited because everyone assures me that it was all coaching, so the goaltending is sure to be amazing now!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, smelly said:

Exactly! I’m very excited because everyone assures me that it was all coaching, so the goaltending is sure to be amazing now!

I'm not getting my hopes up on amazing goaltending yet. Would love to at least see an improvement in defensive structure that doesn't leave shoddy goaltending out to dry as much.

• Like 4

I’d been avoiding the board because of the negative energy swirling around the team, so this news came as a surprise but was definitely not unwelcome.  Although it’s too late for this season to be salvaged, at least the Devils can begin laying the groundwork for future success by finishing the season strong.

Lindy wasn’t the right coach for this group, something made painfully obvious by the team’s inability to start games strong and make period-to-period adjustments, but I wish him and his family the best.  I’m sure the decision to relieve him of his position was as difficult for him to hear as it was for Fitz to make, if not moreso.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’d been avoiding the board because of the negative energy swirling around the team, so this news came as a surprise but was definitely not unwelcome.  Although it’s too late for this season to be salvaged, at least the Devils can begin laying the groundwork for future success by finishing the season strong.

Lindy wasn’t the right coach for this group, something made painfully obvious by the team’s inability to start games strong and make period-to-period adjustments, but I wish him and his family the best.  I’m sure the decision to relieve him of his position was as difficult for him to hear as it was for Fitz to make, if not moreso.

You can be a bad coach and a good guy.  I think Lindy was both.

• Like 7

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You can be a bad coach and a good guy.  I think Lindy was both.

Agreed.  He’s had a successful career in the NHL and could probably entertain audiences for days with stories from his time in and around the game, but his time has passed, and the Devils need a coach who can help them progress.  I don’t know if Travis Green is that guy, but Lindy definitely wasn’t.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Agreed.  He’s had a successful career in the NHL and could probably entertain audiences for days with stories from his time in and around the game, but his time has passed, and the Devils need a coach who can help them progress.  I don’t know if Travis Green is that guy, but Lindy definitely wasn’t.

They need to get Berube. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, aylbert said:

“As GM, I always have that option… but I did and do believe in Ruff’s ability to develop a roster.  Obviously the organization had higher expectations this season, but ran into some unfortunate injuries.  Lindy did an admirable job trying to navigate this team through it, but especially on this west coast trip, it became apparent that his messaging and command was no longer what it should be… and the return to NJ home ice was going to be a detriment.”

or something like that.

Yeah I think you pretty much nailed it word for word.  Shouldn’t stop the questions from being asked though.

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

They need to get Berube. 

I’m good with that.  Looks like Fitz will interview several candidates this offseason.

• Like 2

I'm curious to see if players get slotted into their natural positions in tomorrow's lineup, and if Holtz gets a little more time. 

But like others have said, I'm even more curious to see if Green can have these guys play more responsibly, sound hockey.  Limit turnovers and guys being left wide open.  Focus on the basics, and the team's natural skills and abilities should shine somewhat organically and more easily. 

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm curious to see if players get slotted into their natural positions in tomorrow's lineup, and if Holtz gets a little more time. 

But like others have said, I'm even more curious to see if Green can have these guys play more responsibly, sound hockey.  Limit turnovers and guys being left wide open.  Focus on the basics, and the team's natural skills and abilities should shine somewhat organically and more easily. 

If some changes are made immediately tomorrow it almost says "yea the rest of the coaches didn't agree with that setup.".

• Like 4

From a Canucks fan on Green:

In 8 years of watching Travis Green, I don't know what our system was or what we were trying to do.

Somehow he managed to consistently combine a conservative forecheck and boring dump/chase hockey with absolutely zero defensive structure and bleeding odd-man rushes everywhere. It seemed like the no-plan plan of just hoping that his goalie could steal the game/season.

4 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

From a Canucks fan on Green:

In 8 years of watching Travis Green, I don't know what our system was or what we were trying to do.

Somehow he managed to consistently combine a conservative forecheck and boring dump/chase hockey with absolutely zero defensive structure and bleeding odd-man rushes everywhere. It seemed like the no-plan plan of just hoping that his goalie could steal the game/season.

That doesn’t bode well if it’s on point, but I think we should withhold judgement until we see the results of Green coaching this team.

Green’s obviously not the expected to be some long-term answer.  He’s Not-Ruff…for right this second, that will do.

• Like 3

Lindy was the guy to get a young team to the next level, but he wasn’t the guy who could get them to the ultimate goal. Many of us said the same even after last years playoff run.

It’s still too little too late and that’s all on Fitz. I’m sorry that it was a “tough conversation” for him but that’s why you have the big boy job. Now please don’t throw away too much on a bandaid goaltender. If the right deal isn’t there, there’s no need to force one. See who is on the trading block around draft time. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m good with that.  Looks like Fitz will interview several candidates this offseason.

Until someone mentions this Lindy Ruff fella, apparently he has the third most wins ever and took Buffalo to the Finals and a couple trips to the conference finals. 

would be a good fit here, huh?

• Vomiting 3