Fitz extended to multi-year deal

Nicomo

Wonder if this extension came about as a result of a conversation that Fitz requested with ownership regarding Lindy's future and this extension was simply a bi-product of that conversation? Curious to understand if that's what went down here.

4 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Wonder if this extension came about as a result of a conversation that Fitz requested with ownership regarding Lindy's future and this extension was simply a bi-product of that conversation? Curious to understand if that's what went down here.

I think it’s more that ownership likes what Fitz has done to date and has their complete trust.  They simply believe in him and don’t want to lose him (or potentially have to cast a lure into the GM retread pool).

• Like 1

I'm beginning to believe Ruff is trying to change Holtz's game, similar to what he did with McCleod' game. He wants him to play more like Mercer (I mean Mercer last year) with more physicality & winning more puck battles.  If that's what he's (Lindy) is trying to do, good on him. Holtz was rewarded with more 3rd period shifts & OT as well. BTW, where was Mercer last night?

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Agreed. Now he just needs find a goalie and fire Lindy.

Re:  the first one, slim pickins, sad as it is.  Seems like franchises who have goalies available are wildly overplaying their hands...notice how none of the rumored names are moving yet.  With the Devils having banked 34 points over their last 27 games (103-point pace), I think Fitz isn't feeling desperate to overpay for what's out there.  Maybe when teams realize it's time to be more reasonable, Fitz will be more willing to explore a trade for a goalie.

Re:  Lindy...I feel like it's reached the point that even goalie upgrades are going to have a hell of a time here; there's guys just left SO wide open constantly.  I don't see any of that getting better as long as Idiot is still the coach.  Even in the Yotes-Pens game last night (I watched most of it), you could see how much better position players were generally in, on BOTH sides.  This year's Devils have to be one of the most disorganized teams that I've ever seen...they have so much ability and put in so much effort that they're somehow able to overcome it more often that they really should, but when do we start to see some kind of improvement on that front?  Fitz has gotta see this sh!t too.  And wonder about it himself.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Lindy...I feel like it's reached the point that even goalie upgrades are going to have a hell of a time here; there's guys just left SO wide open constantly.  I don't see any of that getting better as long as Idiot is still the coach.  Even in the Yotes-Pens game last night (I watched most of it), you could see how much better position players were generally in, on BOTH sides.  This year's Devils have to be one of the most disorganized teams that I've ever seen...they have so much ability and put in so much effort that they're somehow able to overcome it more often that they really should, but when do we start to see some kind of improvement on that front?  Fitz has gotta see this sh!t too.  And wonder about it hims

They don’t play ‘connected’ hockey; as in, no one knows where anyone is or where they’re supposed to be. That’s on the coach. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They don’t play ‘connected’ hockey; as in, no one knows where anyone is or where they’re supposed to be. That’s on the coach. 

That's a great way of putting it.  I remember when Fitz went down to the bench for a bit while Hynes was here...he might have to do that again (don't expect that he will). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's a great way of putting it.  I remember when Fitz went down to the bench for a bit while Hynes was here...he might have to do that again (don't expect that he will). 

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What changed between last year and this year? Are the players just crumbling, is the message not getting through, is something with the system not working, are the star players being out really causing a disruption this extreme? It's just baffling to the noggin.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

What changed between last year and this year? Are the players just crumbling, is the message not getting through, is something with the system not working, are the star players being out really causing a disruption this extreme? It's just baffling to the noggin.

Andrew Brunette left. And at this point I’m convinced he was more help than we knew.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Andrew Brunette left. And at this point I’m convinced he was more help than we knew.

Agree, I think most of us (me included) weren't impressed with the Devils' power play last season and due to that wound up overlooking the rest of what Brunette was contributing.

The difference between last year and this is too stark to not think that Brunette wasn't propping up Ruff to some extent.

Really hoping Fitz checks in with Berube at some point.  

• Like 1

meh.....would of like to have seen the plan he has to get out of the current mess with the goalies.  The team has shown plenty of weaknesses and if Tiffoli doesn't have a monster game last night he's also still sitting in the disappointing column.  Fitz patience with Ruff is beyond frustrating. Timo has also been way less than I thought we were getting and for that matter so is where we're sitting in the standings and how we've played up until now. Palat was also an overpayment for who he is. Yes we like many teams have injuries and I'm not saying he hasn't had some good things. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah GMs usually don’t make for great interviews until AFTER something’s happened, though every now and then someone will break ranks.

And of course there’s the GM handbook standby:

“We’re always looking to make our team better.  If there’s a move out there that can improve our team and makes sense for our club, we’ll explore it.”

I can't remember the last GM who wasn't named Brian Burke that did that lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

he’s going nowhere. For fvcks sake wake up and smell the coffee

I think we all knew this is what it was going to be. Never really expected him to come out swinging on his head coach when this presser really isn’t about that, it’s about his own extension. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I smell you dude, truly, but if you expected much else you were kidding yourself.

8 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I think we all knew this is what it was going to be. Never really expected him to come out swinging on his head coach when this presser really isn’t about that, it’s about his own extension. 

Never expected him to say he is awful, but that is glowing praise for an awful coach. That’s a lot worse than I expected

Terrible take by Fitz on Ruff. Hopefully he's blowing smoke up Ruff's ass while he fully realizes he's not the answer going forward and and that he needs to make a change. In this case Calm = No Pulse.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Never expected him to say he is awful, but that is glowing praise for an awful coach. That’s a lot worse than I expected

I mean, I think we all kind of knew he likes the guy, right? I don’t for see this coach going anywhere it just is what it is at this point. 

2 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I mean, I think we all kind of knew he likes the guy, right? I don’t for see this coach going anywhere it just is what it is at this point. 

Yeah as much as I hate it, we’re gonna have to accept that it’s gonna take a serious collapse before Fitz will even think of making a coaching change.

Not sure why Shero and Fitz basically shackle themselves to their head coaches as tightly as they do.  There’s still plenty to like about Fitz but man if he really thinks Lindy is that good of a coach…oh my…

• Angry 2