GDT: Devils host Panthers - 5 March @ 7pm

jagknife

24 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

His behavior looks particularly bad on the heels of his quip about people paying to watch him play.  No one pays to watch the sort of nonsense @Lateralous mentioned.  Be that as it may, I think much of Jack’s frustration will subside once he’s able to get healthy and play the kind of hockey we’re used to seeing.

Not calling you out specifically, but ffs can we get over that already? People only focus on part of the quote anyway. The whole point was that people pay to watch him PLAY, not be hurt by cheap shots. It was never really about just chirping some way less skilled guy for the hell of it. 

Anyway, I know Devils fans are down bad when they’re even coming after Jack. Personally, I think he’s about the only thing making this team even watchable at this point, especially if idiot #2 is going to start taking our biggest bright spot out of the lineup for no apparent reason. 

It’s also funny to me that people complain when players show no emotion, and get accused of having no fire, not caring, etc, but when Jack is the total opposite people are still mad. 

I remember Sidney Crosby was accused of being “crybaby” for years. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not calling you out specifically, but ffs can we get over that already? People only focus on part of the quote anyway. The whole point was that people pay to watch him PLAY, not be hurt by cheap shots. It was never really about just chirping some way less skilled guy for the hell of it. 

Anyway, I know Devils fans are down bad when they’re even coming after Jack. Personally, I think he’s about the only thing making this team even watchable at this point, especially if idiot #2 is going to start taking our biggest bright spot out of the lineup for no apparent reason. 

It’s also funny to me that people complain when players show no emotion, and get accused of having no fire, not caring, etc, but when Jack is the total opposite people are still mad. 

I remember Sydney Crosby was accused of being “crybaby” for years. 

I don’t think Jack’s a crybaby, and I don’t mind if he shows emotion every now and then, but when seemingly every one of his reactions to a setback is some sort of public display, the behavior becomes tiresome.  There’s also the matter of some of his more extreme outbursts risking a penalty, something the Devils don’t need even if they’re merely playing out the string.

In any event, I think Jack gets shut down once the Devils are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, as he’s a much greater asset to the team when healthy than when not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

FWIW Luke had a much better game than you would think reading this thread. 

I think the guy’s tired, honestly. He’s a competitor obviously and I’ll never take that away from him, but he just looks exhausted, a little both mentally and physically. I don’t even care about the penalties at this point, but in the second he botched a few offensive zone keep ins on the PP, and then Miller was definitely the stronger of the pair in the defensive zone, Luke had a couple nice plays defensively too, but to me he looks just a little off

7 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I don’t think Jack’s a crybaby, and I don’t mind if he shows emotion every now and then, but when seemingly every one of his reactions to a setback is some sort of public display, the behavior becomes tiresome

Go talk to Nathan MacKinnon about that. Jack’s fine. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Go talk to Nathan MacKinnon about that. Jack’s fine. 

The only thing I really worry about Jack is his health.  He’s still plenty electric, just not quite as prolific at scoring as last season.  Last year, the game he had last night would’ve led to a hat trick.  But yeah, by and large he’s fine.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And Jack got trolled on social media by the Kings’ dopey mascot and their Twitter after they whipped us twice. A lot of crap out of context gets memed, if that was a one off it’d be one thing to give him a pass for a slightly out of context quote but he’s been ‘moody’ in general since mid-December and the first Ducks game where he was in whiner mode then, following that up with a couple of crucial giveaways against the Flyers two nights later.

Now more people are seeing it because with the team doing worse people look for it, plus it’s naturally going to be worse at this point but his maturity (and the lack of accountability for it) has been an underlying issue for a while.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And Jack got trolled on social media by the Kings’ dopey mascot and their Twitter after they whipped us twice. A lot of crap out of context gets memed, if that was a one off it’d be one thing to give him a pass for a slightly out of context quote but he’s been ‘moody’ in general since mid-December and the first Ducks game where he was in whiner mode then, following that up with a couple of crucial giveaways against the Flyers two nights later.

It’s whatever at this point. Season’s over. There was no bigger whiner and moody bitch the first few years of his career than MacKinnon. Hell, he’s still a moody bitch. Not worried about Jack or his attitude. 

8 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

His behavior looks particularly bad on the heels of his quip about people paying to watch him play.  No one pays to watch the sort of nonsense @Lateralous mentioned.  Be that as it may, I think much of Jack’s frustration will subside once he’s able to get healthy and play the kind of hockey we’re used to seeing.

Apparently the full quote was something like "Are you out here to hurt people or to play?  People pay to watch me play."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s whatever at this point. Season’s over. There was no bigger whiner and moody bitch the first few years of his career than MacKinnon. Hell, he’s still a moody bitch. Not worried about Jack or his attitude. 

I like NJDevs4978 but he's kinda got it out for the Hugheses right now.  Not that they can't ever be criticized but it feels like some people are just looking for things to pounce upon.  

Fans sometimes expect their stars to be perfect in every way, even if they're only 22 (and 20, as far as future-star Luke goes).  They're still very young, and a season that was supposed to have gone much differently has to have eaten away at both of them.  Doesn't mean that they won't or can't learn from any of this.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

That's kind of the point.  I felt like Crosby was unfairly labeled a whiner for about a decade after he stopped his incessant whining.  Jack isn't at the Crosby rookie year level or anything but social media didn't catch every single thing in 2006 either.   

I don't think anyone is worried about him, just concerned that once our superstar gets tagged with something like that, it's a hard thing to shake.    

• Like 2

I would like to see Jack curb the stick slamming routine.  Stop letting the other team know you're frustrated.

Other than that, he's passionate.  No issues with him showing emotion.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That's kind of the point.  I felt like Crosby was unfairly labeled a whiner for about a decade after he stopped his incessant whining.  Jack isn't at the Crosby rookie year level or anything but social media didn't catch every single thing in 2006 either.   

I don't think anyone is worried about him, just concerned that once our superstar gets tagged with something like that, it's a hard thing to shake.    

If Jack winds up hoisting a Cup (or keeps racking up points, as he has in putting up 214 of them in 173 games since the start of his third season), none of us will care about what anyone else thinks.  Also isn't a fan base in the NHL that would mind having Jack on their team. 

That's how it always goes...when the guy's not on your team, and with 31 other fanbases around looking to goof on other teams' players, some things are just bound to become magnified, especially due to social media, as you allude to.  Sure, some guys have that way of NEVER attracting unnecessary attention to themselves, but sh!t happens.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

MacKinnon is a weird dude. I know he drives his teammates crazy with all the weird diet stuff. But hey - winning trumps all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Anyway, I know Devils fans are down bad when they’re even coming after Jack. 

Good post. A lot of fans are so mad, they’re spitting bullets everywhere. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Now more people are seeing it because with the team doing worse people look for it, plus it’s naturally going to be worse at this point but his maturity (and the lack of accountability for it) has been an underlying issue for a while.

In reference to the mascot and memes...who gives a sh!t? You're better off not browsing social media in general, especially the comments section. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Jack winds up hoisting a Cup (or keeps racking up points, as he has in putting up 214 of them in 173 games since the start of his third season), none of us will care about what anyone else thinks.  Also isn't a fan base in the NHL that would mind having Jack on their team. 

That's how it always goes...when the guy's not on your team, and with 31 other fanbases around looking to goof on other teams' players, some things are just bound to become magnified, especially due to social media, as you allude to.  Sure, some guys have that way of NEVER attracting unnecessary attention to themselves, but sh!t happens.   

I already don't care lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I already don't care lol

Me neither, but clearly some Devils fans do.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Pretty much the same ol' story last night where the Devils can't get acceptable goaltending. That goal that put FL up 3-2, right after the Devils tied it, felt like such a backbreaker.

Also funny how 4 of the 6 dressed defensemen got completely crushed last night while Nemec is sitting in the press box... curious what "accountability" will be held ahead of Thursday's game.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I want other fanbases to hate Jack. If they don’t something’s wrong lol 

When Jack skates and he's darting all over the ice, he reminds me of the skinny guy from Nintendo NES hockey.

• Haha 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I want other fanbases to hate Jack. If they don’t something’s wrong lol 

Yeah "Universal Love" is extremely friggin' rare for sure...that's reserved for guys like Gretzky, and it's not like every all-time great gets that same treatment...plenty of people hate Tom Brady, among many others.

One of my friends who's a Ranger fan already hates Jack and now hates Luke too (he thinks they're too cocky), and to that I said, "Yeah, and you'd take Jack over Krappo any day and you fvcking know it!"  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One of my friends who's a Ranger fan already hates Jack and now hates Luke too (he thinks they're too cocky).

It's special and gratifying to have players that rival fans despise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Pretty much the same ol' story last night where the Devils can't get acceptable goaltending. That goal that put FL up 3-2, right after the Devils tied it, felt like such a backbreaker.

Also funny how 4 of the 6 dressed defensemen got completely crushed last night while Nemec is sitting in the press box... curious what "accountability" will be held ahead of Thursday's game.

Yeah the toughest part of the next 20 games will be the fact that Green was more of an "End the misery for Lindy" move, than anything really meant to lead to a major change with regards to how the Devils go about their business on ice.  Green was as lateral of a move as it gets, and though it won't be pretty, so be it.  Going to be more same ol same ol than any major shakeup, but it is what it is.  The Devils did seem to be giving more effort last week than they were over the last couple of weeks under Ruff, so for now there's that.

But yeah, if Nemec is feeling OK, just put him back in the lineup Travis.  No overthinking necessary.

• Like 1