New CBA: 2005 Contracts Are Null & Void...

DevsRule

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Philly "insider" is reporting that Clarke contacted Nieds and they have agreed to a contract already.

Niedermayer will 100% be a Flyer. I am hearing that Clarke contacted Niedermayer the second he was allowed to and that they have agreed to a deal in principle. 3-years @ 5-6 million per.

http://www.flyersphans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41762

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wtf... How do the Flyers expect to have the room for him? Unless they buyout 2-3 players, it makes no sense.

P.S. If Niedermayer really did that, yikes.

They are DEFINITELY buying out Leclair. That gives them room for Niedermayer right there.

brodeurfanatic: I believe that Rob is an UFA too. He and Scott can sign wherever they want. Together.

I still don't get why fans assume Niedermayer will leave. He might not have many viable options. And the ones who come calling could be unattractive.

Niedermayer undoubtedly made a mistake not accepting the Devils' offer last summer.

But this doesn't necessarily mean he's gone. As far as I'm concerned, he's still a Devil until proven otherwise.

Thank you, Derek. That's what I've been trying to get at.

The Flyers board has a rumor guy, who keeps insiting Nieder is a Flyer. Who knows tho. to me, it doesn't make much sense. I can see him going home, but to Philly. If the Devils match the Flyers offer, which may be to high for his services IMO, I can't see him not staying. Still, don't be surprised if Holik is a Devil

neider signing with philly makes very little sense. they were one of the highest payroll teams to begin with. they have to cut guys like leclair, amonte, and the like just to get under the cap and then fill half their roster with very low earners. i don't even think they have the salary room for neider.

but more importantly, why would neider want to go there? he can undoubtedly get the same contract (if not better) from the Devils where he's been for the last 10 years and not have to re-locate his family. it's a system and an environment that he's comfortable in. and he has the C coming to him as soon as Stevens is done.

I could only see him go to the Flyers or Rangers if Lou decided that he just couldn't put $5.5MM into Neids and he wanted to stay in this area, which I don't believe would happen.

As I see it, he'll either go home to Vancouver, go to Toronto to be the Canadian Savior, or stick around in NJ. And as for the Rob speculation (with the Ducks), you're more likely to see Rob be signed as a "bonus" for a team that Signs Scott.

on the neider to flyers thought; just to reiterate the salary issues for Philly,

they're at about $35MM, but they're gonna cut Leclair and Amonte to get to about $23MM. That will leave them with about $14MM to sign 12 players including Simon

Gagne and Robert Esche. I just don't see Neider's $5-$6MM a year sliding in there.

the Devils on the other hand have about $22MM to spend on 13 players.

Elias, Gionta, Gomez, White and Langenbrunner have to get paid, but they're all going to get qualified or very small raises over what they were making pre-lockout after the 24% roll-back, so that's roughly $7.5MM.

So now you have $13.5MM for 8 guys. If Stevens plays, he's gonna play relatively cheap for one more year. I figure about $2M (he knows he'll get a Devils "consultant" job that pays him forever afterwards anyway). Now let's say Lou does give Neidermayer $5M/year (which would now be one of the highest salaries in hockey). You've got $6.5MM for 6 guys to fill out the roster. Parise will undoubtedly be one of them making relative peanuts and the odds are that another minor leaguer or two (like Suglobov or Pikaranen) will make the big club. Now you're down to about $6MM for 3 or 4 guys. That's very doable in this new NHL landscape.

The Devils are in great shape financially to build a strong team INCLUDING Neidermayer.

Let Greedermayer sign in Philly, atleast we'll know he'll never win another cup.

I don't know about you guys but I can't wait for the begining of FA.

Any chance with new rule changes, a new coach, the trap may be a thing of the past? If so, what type of offensive players do you expect the Devils to sign, I'd love to see Palffy in the Red and Black.

If Niedermayer gets signed by Philly, this pretty much eliminates them as a contender. If they cut LeClair & Amonte, and sign Niedermayer at $5 million a year, they'll have just over $11 million left to sign 12 players. And that includes restricted FA's Esche, Gagne, and Johnsson.

There's no way they can afford him.

Um... isn't Niedermayer a devil until the free agency period begins and its therefore illegal to contact him about contract negotiations. Also with no actual CBA officially in place yet that rumour has absolutely no chance of being true.

Am I the only one whos nervous that Elias won't be back next year. If hes still recovering from hep. A and won't be back until december at least (last I heard, could be wrong about that) I wouln't be surprised if Lou buys him out and replaces him with someone who can play. Grim scenario, I would hate to see him go, but the devils will have so little salary cap space its hard to see them wasting it on a guy who may not be able to play next year...

Nieds to philly...hmmm

amonte and leclair are essentially guaranteed buyouts already.

defensively...

nieds-jonsson

dejardins-pitkanen

markov-seidenberg(?)

i swear i'm forgetting someone...hmmm rags is staying in europe i know. meh.

That top 6 would be dominant. But like a lot of you guy's said they probably wouldn't have cap room. Or they might if they end up really going for a youth movement. I doubt gags or esche would ask for a lot. jonsson though will ask and deserves at least more than 3 mill so this could create troubles. Hitch really likes jonsson.

And as for the comment about hitch not letting them play up tempo...well thats true, but at the same way the reason a guy like recchi got a lot of points with us was because of the powerplay. Hitch finally found a way to get the powerplay going last season, and i'm sure he'd give niedermayer lots of room for creativity on the powerplay.

If the flyers don't sign niedermayer, they'll still be very strong back there...well actually it would key on 2 things. 1) dejardin's age 2) if pitkanen can make the jump and gain the trust of hitch, which he didn't gain in the playoffs. Personally i think pitkanen is going to finally be unleashed and show his all-star potential consistently this upcoming season after waht i saw from him defensively in the AHL this past season. And dejardins...i've loved this guy for a while, but this may be his swan song season. He was missed in the playoffs though...last year was really really really rough for him, but it was also jonsson's coming out party. Dejardins rebounded well from injury last time he had a rough season, hopefully he can do it again...we'll see.

But even with all these questions, i really do think that the flyers won't be affected by the new CBA as much as other big money teams like the avs. As long as hitch finally places trust and lives up to his word of "youngster's movement" and gives carter, richards, gags, and other youngsters some trust, or at least more than he gave williams, you should see plenty of results.

Funny, the Pens are the only team in our division I can see him going based on team budgets.

It doesn't make sense for Nieds to play in Philly for the same money he will get in NJ, especially since Phillly has major budget cuts to make before they can even think of entertaining his signing. The Philly boards are blowing smoke....

Well I dunno, the Rangers' payroll is lower than people think - IF they buy out Holik. I don't think Jagr's entire salary counts against the Ranger cap from what I understand, and those are really the only two big contracts that I can remember that had years left.

EDIT: Just looked it up, Kasparitis is still on the payroll, maybe the Rangers would be better served buying him out, but I could see Sather buying out Holik anyway out of spite, since he wants to be the only voice in the organization.

Edited by Hasan4978

The Rangers payroll is just over 21 million now for I believe six players.

Half of Jagr's salary will be picked up by the Caps.

Most likely, they'll buyout either Holik or Kasparaitis (maybe both) to free up space.

To be honest, if I were them, I'd buyout Holik. His salary is just too high to justify for his role. If you took away that salary, they could sign two guys at other positions of need (LW, D).

Kaspar's salary is ridiculous too. But considering what the D situation is, I can see them keeping him.

Edited by Derek21