I don't think I like this NEW NHL

bostondevil11

I miss the hitting and the passion.  I would rather watch a physical 2-1 game over a 6-5 figure skating bout any day.

Last week hooking and holding = being a real man

This week hooking and holding = being a passionate player

Next week hooking and holding = being solid defensively?

Nobody answered my question in the other thread. Why do you think that hitting is down? I would think that knocking someone on their ass would be THE ONLY MEANS LEFT of defending a player, yet hitting is down. I can't say that I understand it. And yes, they are calling hits when you hit from behind, but I haven't seen all that many clean hits called penalties. So what's up with that?

Maybe because guys are getting paid 24% for the same work. Anyone ever consider that?

Anyway, I don't miss the clutch and grab stuff one bit. The one thing I would look at is cross checking in front of the net - there has to be a way to have players pay a price for standing there.

I miss the hitting and the passion.  I would rather watch a physical 2-1 game over a 6-5 figure skating bout any day.

Last week hooking and holding = being a real man

This week hooking and holding = being a passionate player

Next week hooking and holding = being solid defensively?

Nobody answered my question in the other thread. Why do you think that hitting is down? I would think that knocking someone on their ass would be THE ONLY MEANS LEFT of defending a player, yet hitting is down. I can't say that I understand it. And yes, they are calling hits when you hit from behind, but I haven't seen all that many clean hits called penalties. So what's up with that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think htey're nervous about taking penalties :noclue:

I dont mean to harp on it but I've been saying this from the get go with very little response. This game is rife for really good hitting. People just dont knwo how to do it is near as I can guess. But the physicality may go up as guys get their legs and understadn the rules more. People need to hone the sight,you know? Right now they're honing merely PLAYING the game without hooking et al..

The skilll level really had gone down -- we still had great skaters but no one was a hitter. McGillis a hitter? I find that hard to beleive now... Anyhow maybe everyone is trying to be a skater instead of a real Dman? :noclue:

I think it's a great topic and have broached it more than once Don -- I dont recall if you responded or not - but I knwo you'll provide a link if you did and I missed or forgot about it :P:uni:

I have seen some massive hits around the league this year. As far as why the overall physical play may be "down"; It is October 20th...and they haven't played for a year...and there is alot of turnover on all of the rosters.

I don't miss ties. I just miss the days when every game was worth the same 2 points, not this bonus garbage. I was watching NY/NY yesterday and I really enjoyed it until they went to overtime then I thought "sh!t another 3 pointer." The fact that Pittsburgh has points despite losing every single game they have played is a joke.

I did start this thread as kind of a joke. I do like the new non clutch and grab NHL. I do think hitting will come back once the teams get into the season. BUT I do miss ties when it comes to watch divison play. I don't like a losing team in our divison getting free points for losing.

Sorry if I am not funny.

I actually like having a winner to every game. I always hated ties. A tie to me always felt like a loss.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree a tie is like having to kiss your sister!!!

Wouls have liked a 10 min OT before the dhoot out though. and no point for making it to OT... I really really hate that rule.. I'm shocked the nHl still rewards teams for losing in OT... its just sad!!!

tell matty ohlund, garnet exelby, and bryan allen hitting is gone, because they obviously don't see it.

people are still hitting, there have been strong skating matches with little hits this year, but there have also been strong hitting matches as well. I still see brashear lay out guys. Gagne has developed one hell of a physical edge and had something like 5 hits one night. Exelby DESTROYED 2 tampa players in the last game. Bryan Allen has finally come into his own and been leveling guys left and right, need an example? Ryan Smyth.

Hitting is still around, except in this stance if they miss the hit you don't see an immediete hook afterwards.

I've said it a bunch of times before and the only thing i take issue with is the fact that goaltenders are getting absolutely killed this year. I can think of at least 5 times so far when a game winning goal has come from a goaltender being essentially sat on.

I love this game. Yeah-- it'll take some time before you see comfortable play again, but I think it's for the best. This game MOVES!!! Once the players (by the way, who've been off for a year) get used to the rules and get their legs back, this game is going to be better than it was in years. An the goaltending??? Wow! It'll take some time for the goalies to get used to the pace and volume; but I guarantee that everyone will be pleased with the outcome once the players realize that their positioning is going to make a huge difference in the outcome. I've seen saves this year that make me scratch my head in wonder. Even though Marty has seemed mortal, do you realize what fantastic saves he's made so far? It's a friggin' shooting gallery out there. Let these guys get a little time under their belts. There will be no more rest periods. Once the goalies realize that they have to stay focused constantly, the seeming insanity will slow down. It's about time!! :hail: