DEVILS WAIVE BYE TO MOGILNY

Rock

DEVILS WAIVE BYE TO MOGILNY

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/61008.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

January 5, 2006 -- It's as if summer never happened, except for the humongous bills.

Lou Lamoriello's big preseason dive into the unrestricted market can now officially be classified among his worst pratfalls. By waiving Alexander Mogilny yesterday, he has given up on each of his three major acquisitions, receiving nothing in return, having already paid them some $5 million in salary, and owing them some $3 million more for nothing.

With Patrik Elias expected to play his second game of the season tonight when the Canadiens visit the Meadowlands, Lamoriello elected to dump Mogilny, whose 12 goals and 25 points both rank third-highest on the Devils.

The obvious suggestion, since the Devils now have some cap room, is that Lamoriello will soon grab some top star from a nowhere team, someone like St. Louis' Keith Tkachuk.

If Mogilny clears waivers today, he can be assigned elsewhere and the second half of his $3.5 million salary removed from the Devils' cap obligations, although they must pay Mogilny, unless he refuses to report to the minors or retires.

The Devils have already gone that route with Dan McGillis, removing

"but it should be remembered that he wasn't playing on the A Line when he scored 43 goals for New Jersey in 2000-01."

No, but he was playing with the best playmaking center on the team.

"The former 76-goal scorer could still have provided a third-line threat that is so vital to contention."

That's not why Mogilny was signed. He was signed to fill the void until Elias was healthy, and provide special teams spark in a league that demanded it. Yet he had 2 power play points in his last 17 games. So long...

<JESTER>

Edited by NJD Jester

(N)Єverson is a Statistic hound.  I'm pretty sure he didn't see him play, otherwise he could've seen that the guy could not play anymore.  We dont need a "foul shooter" we need someone who can handle, pass, catch and skate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's with that hockey/basketball bastard analogy? Big EWW goes out to peteyvegas.

Have to admit this 1 caught me by surprise... I think LL is just cleaning house to get a look at some of the kids, and preparing for some picks up in the off season...

I do not see any buig trades, like i said in a differnet thread what are the devils going to give up ( other than Elias, broduer or Gomer who I donot think are being traded) to get a big player back???

If Mogilny clears waivers today, he can be assigned elsewhere and the second half of his $3.5 million salary removed from the Devils' cap obligations, although they must pay Mogilny, unless he refuses to report to the minors or retires.

Interesting. Time for Lou's ice-cold balls of steel to make another move: assign Mogilny to Albany. Chances are he won't report, so that'll get 'Beek off the hook too. (Lou's already off the hook, but the owner's still stuck with the bill.) And if Mogs does report... hey, maybe the Rats will finally get out of the basement. :boogie:

Lamoriello indicated Mogilny's waiver was a personnel decision, claiming he has young players who can fulfill Mogilny's role.

No, Lou, don't do that. Bring in a proven player and let the young'uns develop.

Question everyone...Mogilny gets waived, which means that if no one picks him up, he may be re-assigned to Albany. If he's reassigned to Albany, and doesn't report, then he can be suspended, thus freeing the Devs of the financial obligations they may have with Almo...is this true?

I doubt Mogs will play in Albany...and maybe that was a decision Lou Lamoriello was very well aware of trying to save the team from actually paying out the remainder of his contract...

Any thoughts?

Yeah 'if' Lou sends Mogilny to Albany and suspends him then the decision wasn't mutual as people have suggested. Because if that happened, then Mogilny could have just retired and gotten the same thing out of the rest of his deal, bupkus. And it wouldn't make he or Lou look bad.

I still don't understand why people think Lou gave Mogilny a $6 million present? Lou's not quite the same hard-ass with players that are loyal to him as he is ones that aren't but let's face it the staff was on Mogilny's ass all year, he was a healthy scratch twice before this and benched another couple of times late in games. I don't think Mogilny would ever be an a$$ about it to the point where Lou banished him, but something isn't right.

Edited by Hasan4978

Have to admit this 1 caught me by surprise...  I think LL is just cleaning house to get a look at some of the kids, and preparing for some picks up in the off season...

I do not see any buig trades, like i said in a differnet thread what are the devils going to give up ( other  than Elias, broduer or Gomer who I do not think are being traded) to get a big player back???

I think Lou is so traumatized from signing Free Agents, he may never do it again... and I agree a big trade is unlikely.

I think Lou is so traumatized from signing Free Agents, he may never do it again... and I agree a big trade is unlikely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I think LL will give the team (and it's new coach) until after the Olympic break to gel together.

Then if anything happens it will be the week before the trade deadline.

I have a feeling Bergfors is Mogilny's replacement.  Bringing in some young blood to replace the deadwood is a great idea.  Bergfors has the skill to step in and do well.

Bergfors is like 14 years old.

Maybe in one or two years.

I have a feeling Bergfors is Mogilny's replacement.  Bringing in some young blood to replace the deadwood is a great idea.  Bergfors has the skill to step in and do well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You got to be kidding, he's struggling in Albany. He'll be a great player some day but not this year. He's got 5 goals in 24 games.