Spectors Trade Rumors 02/17/06

Rock

17 FEBRUARY 2006.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

RUMOURS FROM THE CHICAGO DAILY HERALD.

Tim Sassone recently reported the following:

- Minnesota Wild GM Doug Risebrough figures to attract a lot of attention at the trade deadline because of the high number of impending UFA players on his roster, but says he told rival GMs not to expect a fire sale.

Spector's Note: I expect Risebrough to trade one of his two UFA goalies, due to prospect Josh Harding likely to be promoted next season, but wouldn't be surprised if he did little after that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Devils have been running well under the salary cap ever since they got rid of Mogilny, Malakhov, and Mcgillis. Remember that the salary cap is cumulative, so that the Devils could possibly fit Tkachuk under it, especially if they could throw Kozlov's salary away in another deal.

Tkachuk would make us legitimate contenders in the East. I love the idea but I think Lou's waiting for next year.

We need a finisher Tkachuk is one...

He has a biiiiiig slump... but he comes back in a very good level...

I don't care about player's reputation... I don't see a player come here to play the playoff & start to be a cancer in the lockerroom or something like that...

Bad Reputation is dangerous to evaluate a player...

If he comes for "cheap" (kozlov ?) I sign !

I think Keith would be a great pickup for the Devils, probably will cost next to nothing so the downside risk is almost nil and the upside, for a team needing a second line finisher at both even strength and the PP, the upside could be big. Also, the Devils can probably fit a max contract under the cap for the rest of this season.

Tkachuk would make us legitimate contenders in the East. I love the idea but I think Lou's waiting for next year.

Huh? Oh it must be all those big games in the playoffs that Tkachoke has had.

He isn't a Lou type of player (i.e. Winner). At $7.6 million he is not worth it.

yes, they have cap room but the question is does vanderbeek want to add to the payroll when he's paying i think $5 mill for 2 players in albany?

If getting him meant the Devils make even 1 extra round of playoffs then they would make more money with Tkachuk than without. I don't see why we really care about the salary since he'll be a UFA next season, it doesn't hurt the Devils this season since it is just empty cap space he is taking and it doesn't hurt the Devils next season since they don't have to keep him.

Huh? Oh it must be all those big games in the playoffs that Tkachoke has had.

He isn't a Lou type of player (i.e. Winner). At $7.6 million he is not worth it.

Yeah, boy, those Phoenix teams he was on were great. Same with St. Louis - some real winners there. Every team he's been on have been one line teams looking for him to provide the bulk of the offense.

I heard the same stuff when I was all over Lou to get Mogilny. It'd be a great pickup. Tkachuk has had some bad playoff runs but he's had some good ones too.

The Devils lack a power forward type, a guy who can upset the goalie and throw in rebounds. Tkachuk is EXACTLY the player we need, either for the 1st or 2nd line.

Yeah, boy, those Phoenix teams he was on were great. Same with St. Louis - some real winners there. Every team he's been on have been one line teams looking for him to provide the bulk of the offense.

I heard the same stuff when I was all over Lou to get Mogilny. It'd be a great pickup. Tkachuk has had some bad playoff runs but he's had some good ones too.

The Devils lack a power forward type, a guy who can upset the goalie and throw in rebounds. Tkachuk is EXACTLY the player we need, either for the 1st or 2nd line.

How about Ryan Malone?? He is on block according to some sources....At least, Malone is cheaper and younger than Tkachuk.

If getting him meant the Devils make even 1 extra round of playoffs then they would make more money with Tkachuk than without. I don't see why we really care about the salary since he'll be a UFA next season, it doesn't hurt the Devils this season since it is just empty cap space he is taking and it doesn't hurt the Devils next season since they don't have to keep him.

i'm not against getting him as long as it involves kovlov and another player that isn't a big part of the team. since they will not get higher then the 6 seed, they will be playing either philly, rangers, carolina, or ottawa. they will need a 2nd line to produce.

Tkachuk would be an interesting player to play with Parise and Brylin. I wouldn't mind having him as a rental.

How about Ryan Malone?? He is on block according to some sources....At least, Malone is cheaper and younger than Tkachuk.

Malone IMO is not a proven scorer in the NHL, he wouldn't put the Devils over the top.

Edited by MissionHockey

Tkachuk would be an interesting player to play with Parise and Brylin. I wouldn't mind having him as a rental.

Malone IMO is not a proven scorer in the NHL, he wouldn't put the Devils over the top.

Everyone says that about Gionta, but he flourishes. Giving Malone a chance won't hurt since his trade value is low at this point.

What bugs me about Fatchuk is that (since the Devils are on the upswing and have a solid history of success) I think he would be team player (until off season salary negotiations etc.) but on ice he'd be stoked to be a Devil -- and then his body would crap out on him just as things wouldreally get rolling.

Tkachuk = inconsistant injury prone

then I think if he's bummed and thinks his team sucks or something -- then I think the mental hijinx come into play. He'd be a cancer in the first half of this season. Basically if Turner Stevenson couldn't fit on this team I dont see how Tkachuk with his price tag has any place.

Yes, those teams with Roenick, Doan, Tocchet, Khabibulin and coach of the year Bobby Francis as well as the St. Louis teams with Turgeon, Weight, Demitra, Stillman, two Norris Trophy winning defensemen in Pronger and Macinnis and also coach of the year Joel Quinnville.

The St. Louis team was a very, very talented teams and Phoenix had some talent as well, but Tkachuk always came up short when it counted.

I don't disagree with you that we need a power forward, but I just don't think Tkachuks track record, attitute and lack of performance in the clutch...along with his salary makes him that player.

If we can get Tkachuk for cheap, I'm all for this deal. I know he has some baggage and a questionable attitude, but at this point in his career, he has to realize it could be his last legitimate chance of ever winning the cup. Also, he would be playing for his club option year. I doubt he is going to get a big contract once he hits UFA, unless he has an unbelievable playoff for us (In which case the trade worked). Also, it usually takes a player longer than a half of a season to become a locker room cancer so I don't think that will be a problem.

I don't think this team is getting out of the first round without a second scoring line, which I believe Tkachuk addresses. Additionally, I think we're in the process of retooling/rebuilding organization depth for a big run in the next few years, so I don't want to bring in someone that is going to cost us too much of our future (i.e. Brian Rolston for Claude Lemeiux type deals).