Game Thread: Devils vs Senators

devilsrule33

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big, big win. I'm sure the haters will be out in full force for that Senators goal to tie it up, but the fact that the puck had to hit off the ref, just barely miss two Devils sticks, just barely miss a sliding Jay Pandolfo, and just miss Brodeur's glove tells me that one was a little lucky.

Senators sure got the benefit of the calls, huh? What a joke of a call on Hale - Varada's about to crash into Brodeur and Hale touches him and gets a penalty. Definitely looked like the 98 playoffs out there.

Emery played pretty huge in goal.

Devils weren't around the net enough but they didn't need to be - the Senators gave them a ton of transition chances and were not sharp all night. I know the Senators have some injuries but if they play this way in the playoffs they're not going to win it all. 3 rookies back there has given them some trouble, though, and losing Phillips definitely hurt.

I have no doubt that was a goal in the shootout by Scott Gomez. The goalie saved it, but the motion of the goalie went into the net and he tried to hide the puck under his pad when it was clearly in. Good call by the referee. The same thing happened to the Rangers last Saturday against Tampa Bay. Grahame (SP?) hid the puck under his pad but I have no doubt it was in.

Anyway, this race is unvelieveable. Should be a good last stretch. :)

If EMERY is in the net and the puck is under EMERY, it MUST BE A GOAL. It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Great game for DR33 to go to. It had a little bit of *EVERYTHING*. Scrap, SH goal, PP goal, a goal with the other net empty, absolutely awesome OT, and a shoot-out. Damn, did he ever get his money's worth. I regret not going myself now.

And the other great thing about being there would be that you wouldn't have to listen to GREG MILLEN!!! ARGH!! MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!!! "The cameras are inconclusive. I'm sure that Alfredson will be shooting for the win." He then suggested that the officials in TORONTO would make the call against OTTAWA because they are biased.

Edited by Don

I'd also like to say that I thought Lukowich and Klee played pretty effectively, and that the Devils got them for games like this. I'd also like to say that Don should've taken my bet because both guys are still heavily in the -.

Yeah, but I never take 2:1 odds. Putting $50 on the line to win $25 is a suckers bet. I was more than confident that I would win, but it would have to be a ABSOLUTELY SURE THING for me to bet on 2:1.

But I still note that you said you were confident that both players would end up + players....

BTW - on the Senators message board they have a contest each game trying to predict the final score. Here are the predictions:

3-2 Devils

5-2 Sens

7-4 Sens

5-1 Sens

4-0 Sens

5-1 Sens

5-2 Sens

4-1 Sens

4-2 Sens

4-2 Devils

3-1 Sens

5-2 Sens

2-1 Sens

5-3 Devils

3-2 Devils

4-1 Sens

4-2 Sens

5-3 Sens

4-2 Sens

4-2 Sens

3-1 Sens

5-2 Sens

3-2 Devils

3-1 Sens

1-0 Sens

5-3 Sens

3-2 Sens

3-2 Sens

7-2 Sens

3-1 Sens

4-0 Sens

6-2 Sens

5-3 Sens

4-3 Sens

4-2 Sens

4-3 Devils

4-2 Sens

3-2 Sens

5-1 Sens

6-2 Sens

So that's 34 for the Senators and 6 for the Devils. And many people figured a blowout. And that's the reason I hate the Senators this year. Their fans gave no respect to ANYONE. They think that despite their injuries that they will walk all over everyone.

Edited by Don

For a while out there it looked like old time Lemaire/Burns Devils hockey. Work hard, hit, grind along the boards. Go up 1-0, hit the post, sit on the lead. They actually seemed to match the Sens fairly well tonight, despite the gap in talent.

OT was a bit frightening, Marty almost let through a softy but luckily covered it up and fell backwards.

The "haters" will point to the fact that Ottawa was missing Phillips, Chara, and Hasek. It was a survival game, 2 important points. But we didn't beat them at full strength.

Edited by '7'

Just got in, right on!! We got a freakin win!! :boogie::boogie::koolaid:

Just got in, right on!! We got a freakin win!! :boogie::boogie::koolaid:

What?!?!?! You mean I'm the ONLY one here that had to suffer through Greg Millen?!?!?! This is not fair. I thought I would at least be able to share the pain... my head hurts from listening to that a$$hole.

What?!?!?! You mean I'm the ONLY one here that had to suffer through Greg Millen?!?!?! This is not fair. I thought I would at least be able to share the pain... my head hurts from listening to that a$$hole.

Was he the guy on Rogers Sportsnet East? I didn't find him to be THAT bad...Although the two were incessently making light of all the Devils short comings during the game, I don't think I heard one positive word other than that they played the trap in order to protect the lead, which is sorta a backhanded compliment coming from Canadian broadcasters.

Edited by Voros19

Just got back from the game.

It was a pretty fun game. The Devils never make it easy. I was cringing everytime Klee was on the ice.

How about McGratton vs Janssen. According to the guys on the radio, the fight was exactly 2 minutes and 38 seconds. Haven't seen a fight that long before.

The third period was awesome. Great action.

Great game from Emery. He made some fantastic stops on Gionta.

Madden finally burying a breakaway. That was great.

Great win though. Fun to see a shootout.

Kind of scary that we needed a shootout to beat a team without Havlat, Fisher, Chara, Volchenkov, Hasek and Phillips left early in the game.

Edited by devilsrule33

Those injuries add up to Madden, Gionta, Brodeur, Rafalski, White and Matty.

You're joking, right? Ottawa has lots of organizational depth - if they were fully healthy, they don't have Arnason or Eaves in the lineup, and Novak and Schubert sit. Emery's also a pretty good goaltender.

The Senators are certainly a better team without injuries and they need Chara, Volchenkov, and Phillips back, but that's an absurd comparison.

Was he the guy on Rogers Sportsnet East? I didn't find him to be THAT bad...Although the two were incessently making light of all the Devils short comings during the game, I don't think I heard one positive word other than that they played the trap in order to protect the lead, which is sorta a backhanded compliment coming from Canadian broadcasters.

Yup. Mr. "1995 doesn't count as a Cup win to me" himself. I refuse to watch any of the local Sens broadcasts because he's usually doing them.... and if he's calling a CBC game, I'll just turn it off. I can't believe they fired Chris Cuthbert and kept this dog.

You're joking, right? Ottawa has lots of organizational depth - if they were fully healthy, they don't have Arnason or Eaves in the lineup, and Novak and Schubert sit. Emery's also a pretty good goaltender.

The Senators are certainly a better team without injuries and they need Chara, Volchenkov, and Phillips back, but that's an absurd comparison.

The Sens have fantastic depth but those players are still as good as the guys I named. It doesn't hurt them as much because they have such a solid group of players. Losing those guys for the Devils would kill us.

Yup. Mr. "1995 doesn't count as a Cup win to me" himself. I refuse to watch any of the local Sens broadcasts because he's usually doing them.... and if he's calling a CBC game, I'll just turn it off. I can't believe they fired Chris Cuthbert and kept this dog.

Millen doesn't do Sens games anymore. Didn't they fire his ass and bring in Gary Galley? I haven't earned Greg Millen doing a Sens game once this year.

Edited by devilsrule33

Canadian broadcasters (especially Pierre McGuire and company) can't stand the Devils. Hey, at least we won the game tonight...

I was biting my nails saying "what if we had Kozlov" in the line-up during the shoot-out, but I guess it worked out for us this time...

We need to find a way to get Kozy in the line-up...(a healthy way)