OGT: Devils @ Hurricanes

overtime98

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is this funny rule in the NHL that says you can't body check someone that doesn't have the puck. They are allowing body positioning and bumps down low, but that was a full-blown body check out near the blue line - before the Hurricane player touched the puck. Check the rulebook - that's illegal.

sorry but i have to diagree with you. No doubt that it was a legal hit, the ref saw it on the wrong angle

The Devils earned that win, had nothing to do with the refs "giving them the game." Talkinh about the Carolina feed post! :angry:

Edited by Noon30

sorry but i have to diagree with you. No doubt that it was a legal hit, the ref saw it on the wrong angle, and The Devils earned that win, had nothing to do with the refs "giving them the game."

where in that post does he say the refs gave us the game?

Useless Pens! They put up a good fight but I guess it comes down to Thursdays game! And what a ending by the Devils. Gomez is shocking when he shoots the damn puck!

How long have we been saying Gomer has to shoot more? How long? A LOOOONG time. Now he is and has been showing what kind of offensive threat he can truly be. I never knew he could shoot the puck this well- it's been an unbelievably pleasent surprise. He's gotta keep this mindset until he retires!! :D

The next two games mean very little - the Devils don't want 5th as it is not intrinsically better than 4th, and in fact in recent seasons has been more advantageous, as the 4th team often is a stronger team from a strong division. The Devils need to play solid hockey but they've got to lose one of these last three games - they're playing terrific hockey but they're not an outright dominating team, and this isn't a run the table kind of club.

Truth is the more I see Carolina and Ottawa flounder due to injury, the less I care what position the Devils finish so long as it isn't fifth. Those teams are strong but both are missing serious pieces right now - as a result, neither is dominant. The 'Canes really miss Erik Cole - they just don't have a big physical presence up front. That and some lackadaisical backchecking could be the 'Canes undoing - there's no way the Madden line should ever score 2 goals in a game.

Some have said the Devils are a one line team - this is just not true anymore. While Elias-Brylin-Langenbrunner has yet to score many goals, they are keeping the pressure on the opponent, whereas Parise-Brylin-Marshall would just try to hold serve or circle around the perimeter. Really, that line move was brilliant and have turned the Devils from a one and done team to a club that could make a serious run.

I'm still waiting for the proof that the Devils' style of play can't win in the playoffs anymore - it sure hasn't been true lately in the regular season.

Is that what they said on the Carolina feed?

It was paraphrased, but it was close.

landofvanilla & Noon30: I record all the games and so I just rewound (is that what you call it on a PVR?) to the end of the second period. Vasicek didn't touch the puck. Lukowich hit the puck to the boards himself. Vasicek's stick was swinging right to left away from the boards, Lukowich was swinging towards the boards and the puck went to the boards. Which would suggest to me that it was Lukowich that hit the puck, not Vasicek. If one of you is willing to bet $20 on it, I'll post the video as a quicktime mov file.

From what I could see, the call on Lukowich was the correct call. As was the trip on Brodeur.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

One other thing. This was the first game where I wasn't ashamed to have Klee on our blueline. Rafalski had a bad night.

The call on Lukowich may have been correct but I have seen several just like it go uncalled in recent games. As Doc and Chico rightly noted, it's a 'hockey play' - not an attempt to obstruct or hinder, but simply to place a body check in anticipation of the puck.

FWIW, I thought Vasicek's stick touched the puck as well.

Some have said the Devils are a one line team - this is just not true anymore. While Elias-Brylin-Langenbrunner has yet to score many goals, they are keeping the pressure on the opponent, whereas Parise-Brylin-Marshall would just try to hold serve or circle around the perimeter. Really, that line move was brilliant and have turned the Devils from a one and done team to a club that could make a serious run.

As I said last game thread, if a team in the playoffs is able to hold P-G-G in check, we're in trouble because none of the other lines can SCORE. Elias-Brylin-Langs can "keep pressure on the opponent" all they want, that doesn't count on the scoreboard.

It was paraphrased, but it was close.

landofvanilla & Noon30: I record all the games and so I just rewound (is that what you call it on a PVR?) to the end of the second period. Vasicek didn't touch the puck. Lukowich hit the puck to the boards himself. Vasicek's stick was swinging right to left away from the boards, Lukowich was swinging towards the boards and the puck went to the boards. Which would suggest to me that it was Lukowich that hit the puck, not Vasicek. If one of you is willing to bet $20 on it, I'll post the video as a quicktime mov file.

From what I could see, the call on Lukowich was the correct call. As was the trip on Brodeur.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

One other thing. This was the first game where I wasn't ashamed to have Klee on our blueline. Rafalski had a bad night.

ok must not have seen everything.

where in that post does he say the refs gave us the game?

Listen here Steve S. i re-did the post so check it out now

The Devils were a one line team when it was only the EGG line and Kozlov benched. Break up the EGG line and put Kozlov in for Janssen and you've got the makings of something.

I'm worried that the Devils are peaking too soon, go into the playoffs on a 10-11 game winning streak and you're bound to slump.

the Devils style off play isn't exactly total clutch and grab either, that couldn't make the playoffs in 96, or do anything in 97 or 98. This team is faster up front and deep defensively, though with no dominant player. This is closer to the 1995 team talent and style wise, the 00/01 clubs were exciting, the 02-03 team sent hockey back into the stone age, though they did get some favorable early round matchups and took advantage of a league that ignored cheating (as did Minnesota, Anaheim, and many others)

As I said last game thread, if a team in the playoffs is able to hold P-G-G in check, we're in trouble because none of the other lines can SCORE. Elias-Brylin-Langs can "keep pressure on the opponent" all they want, that doesn't count on the scoreboard.

We've played almost all the playoff teams in recent weeks and none of them have had an answer for this line. The fact that Elias-Brylin-Langenbrunner hasn't scored is mostly due to the fact that Elias and Langenbrunner can't seem to hit the net. It is still a formidable offensive line - Elias is looking more and more confident every game. This team can get balanced scoring - it has had flashes of balance.

Shame we can't get that lottery pick after tonight - I would've liked to have seen that 1% chance that we move up a few spots in the draft.

Yeah I'll concede Lukowich did touch the puck first since you got to see the replay over and over again, but I still agree it was a "hockey play." Just the fact that Lukowich got his stick on the puck at the same time he put the hit on means the puck was close enough to be legal.. though I'll have to watch the re-airing of the game to be 100% sure

ok must not have seen everything.

The call on Lukowich may have been correct but I have seen several just like it go uncalled in recent games. As Doc and Chico rightly noted, it's a 'hockey play' - not an attempt to obstruct or hinder, but simply to place a body check in anticipation of the puck.

FWIW, I thought Vasicek's stick touched the puck as well.

From the replay I saw, and I've watched it five times, I don't see Vasicek's stick touch the puck. But there is the black of the puck, the black of two taped up sticks all converging.... and it wasn't in HD, so it was just a big black blur... but from what I saw, Vasicek didn't touch it.

Asfor the "uncalled" part, you are correct. I noted in another game thread that I noticed that Matvichuk was doing that quite often and it wasn't being called. That's the problem - consistancy. The players don't know if and when it is going to be called. You can play it safe and never hit the player before he touches the puck, or you can play it smart and take the man. It's a no win situation until the refs become more consistant with the call.

Shame we can't get that lottery pick after tonight - I would've liked to have seen that 1% chance that we move up a few spots in the draft.

Here is what I said a month ago:

What I was saying in the last game thread was that it would be better in the LONG TERM for the team to fall to the 10th pick in the draft rather than rise to 20th (both are possible) - PLAYING FULL TILT. I *NEVER* hope for the Devils to lose and every game I watch I hope that they can turn it around. I'm not sitting here hoping for the Flyers to score. My point was that if they miss the playoffs and get the 10th pick, I think that would be better than flopping out in the first round and getting the 20th pick.

And I stand by that. If the Devils go out in the first round, I'd have rather missed the playoffs. You can enjoy your two or three post-season games, but for me, if they go out first round *AND* get a lousy draft position, that will be the worst of all outcomes. You obviously feel different.

The next two games mean very little - the Devils don't want 5th as it is not intrinsically better than 4th, and in fact in recent seasons has been more advantageous, as the 4th team often is a stronger team from a strong division.

Tri-

I'm not sure if you're trying reverse psychology here, but why (other than an exciting devils-rangers series) would you not want 5th? That pits the devils against buffalo, who while not as sexy or exciting as the rangers, provides a better matchup for the devils. furthermore, i'd think it would be best to have the highest seed possible so that if there are upsets, the devils have a chance at home ice.

Tri-

I'm not sure if you're trying reverse psychology here, but why (other than an exciting devils-rangers series) would you not want 5th? That pits the devils against buffalo, who while not as sexy or exciting as the rangers, provides a better matchup for the devils. furthermore, i'd think it would be best to have the highest seed possible so that if there are upsets, the devils have a chance at home ice.

11 straight wins heading into the playoffs means we're getting the breaks - we're not Ottawa when healthy who can steamroll over the league. The last game against the Rangers and this one tonight could have just as easily been losses, but we got the bounces and they turned into wins. Yes, Brodeur's playing superb and every line has been contributing, but it only takes a few dry games to end a post-season - at this juncture of the season I'd like to see them outplay a team and lose, rather than get outplayed and win.

Call it superstitious, but I'd call it a hope for regression to the mean.

I'm very confident about our chances against any club in the post-season - I'm not afraid of Ottawa, Carolina, the Rangers, or Buffalo.

Here is what I said a month ago:

And I stand by that. If the Devils go out in the first round, I'd have rather missed the playoffs. You can enjoy your two or three post-season games, but for me, if they go out first round *AND* get a lousy draft position, that will be the worst of all outcomes. You obviously feel different.

I do, because it's being results-oriented. The Devils have a good squad - it's not like they're limping into the playoffs with some misshapen dreck waiting to be picked off by a dominant division winner. The NHL playoffs have a great deal of luck involved, and very often the best team doesn't win. I'd rather take my chances in the playoffs than take my chances in the draft. And while we're being results-oriented, let's remember that the last top 10 pick by New Jersey was mediocre LW/D Lance Ward, who never played a shift in the Devils' organization. The draft has a lot of luck involved in it too, but I'll take the luck of sticks and pucks versus suits and Gord Miller - one has more intrisic excitement.

Now if you said, I'd rather have the Devils get the first overall pick than lose in the first round, you might have a point. However, getting the first overall pick means having a truly hopeless bunch who can't be expected to win for years, and no one wants that.

i can confirm the carolina homerism, trip tracy or whoever he is and the play by play guy were belly aching about the refs BIG TIME...

they said brodeur took a dive...yeah right dive behind your own net while a loose puck is squirting around the crease...

glad the devils finished them off quick...loll!

We should call Brylin-Elias-Langs Hell's BELs.

Sorry, I have nothing intellegent to add that you can't find in the RECAP.

LMAO!!!!!!

That is the song that comes up before the game so I guess it fits, listening to that AC DC song gets me pumped for Devils Hockey, It fits our teams style very well. :lol: