GDT: Devils vs. Islanders 7:30pm

njdevil26

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I watched the Pens play the Kings last night and what a fun team to watch. Plus they have like 50 guys that can hit the net from any angle. Anyway back to the mediocre Devils... :evil:

Edited by westcoastdevfan

What this team needs is another puck moving defenseman and a depth 20 goal scorer who's solid defensively, tough along the boards and hungry for a cup. An Owen Nolan type and somebody like Hamrlik.

And what do we have an abundance of to trade? Other than useless 4th line grinders.

BTW, I watched the Pens play the Kings last night and what a fun team to watch. Plus they have like 50 guys that can hit the net from any angle. Anyway back to the mediocre Devils... :evil:

Absolutely. I love watching the Penguins. Watching the Devils is torturous, so I stopped punishing myself and am watching "Life Goes On" DVDs.

What this team needs is another puck moving defenseman and a depth 20 goal scorer who's solid defensively, tough along the boards and hungry for a cup. An Owen Nolan type and somebody like Hamrlik.

What this team needs is Dion Phaneuf :P

We could offer Calgary our entire 4th line selection (apart from cam :P)

Who are the devils? Where's my Defensive team? I mean look, the devils always have a slow starts.. After , they go ahead..Also, their division isnt a great one.. Its the worst one.

Devils need what? A second defensemen. The return of Scott Gomez ..

We could win vs Habs if Gomez is there and we need to play intelligent and defensive.. Then we could go to : 7-5-1. And after we can gain wins.. A win vs Habs would help a lot Nj.

Devils for ever, Even if they loose... GO DEVILS GO! PLZ BEAT THE HABS! I JUST HATE SO MUCH THE HABS! I migth see Devils-Habs 15january.. But god, plz beat the habs!

You don't learn anything about a team about how it plays in the final minutes of a clear decision except how that team plays in the final minutes.

I'll chalk this one up to sitting for 4 days. Still, a brutal game all around - Scott Gomez never should've been started if this was how he was going to play, I'm beginning to grow skeptical of Elias as captain, Rafalski has played terrible so far, and tonight we saw the reappearence of the Langenbrunner Stupid Penalty. No life in the building, no life in the team - and for the 6th straight game, the Devils fail to score more than 2 goals. As I've been saying, this club will need to get goals out of the defense and 4th line soon - they had some opportunities tonight and naturally blew them.

Elias has enough responsibility as this teams #1 scorer, why burden him with the C.

give it to Dowd

Who's going to magically step in and start scoring goals from the backline? Martin and Rafalski are good for 6-7 goals each. The only way anyone else scores is by accident.

this was plain ugly. i will actually give some credit to the isles who looked strong and pressured the puck.

the game was lost for good on that worthless 5 oin 3. i went with my islander friend who was sure the isles would give up two goals on that PP. I assured him that the devils would squander the chance trying to take shots from the point and hope for a deflection instead of doing what a team should do on a 5 on 3 which is move the puck around and try to get a slam dunk in front of the net or a play where the goalie can't move laterally quick enough to stop the puck. low and behold, the devils attempt shots from the point or the 1/2 boards that are one and done type attempts where the puck is immediately out of the zone.

i hope they work through this rough patch but it really was hard to watch tonight. what makes the crowd even worse were that there were 3 sections of groups that came where you saw 25-35 people clumped together who will never come to another game.

newark will definately help but i wonder if there's really enough support for this team to put up a respectable crowd?

sundstrom, I keep saying it, but I can't imagine being a season ticket holder for the Devils with the arena as it is. I probably could be one this year but I don't see the appeal. In Newark, there should be much more peripherals for the casual fan, as well as just a generally better atmosphere.

7, they just don't set up point shots for anyone and the defense never tries to generate any offense in the zone. Oduya could have 5-6 goals with his shot but the Devils haven't really tried to set it up anywhere.

I really think this whole tip plays thing has got to go - it's just not going to be successful for an offense over a season. There's so much luck involved in tip plays.

They also don't have defensman who jump into rushes at all. Maybe this is not Martins and Rafalski's style, but every so often you'd see Nieds jump in on a 2-2, make it a 3-2 and score a goal. Of course he has the speed to do that and get back should the puck miss the net. But you don't need to chain defensmen to the blue line and always rely on the point shot to score. I don't know what Juliens philosophy is, maybe he's being too conservative and intentionally holding these guys back.

tri - i'm happy being a season ticket holder and will continue to do such. i'm going to watch every devils game i can so i'd much rather watch it live where you can see the whole game than on tv where you only see 10 feet around the puck. it's not really about the periperals for me, but i believe i am in the vast minority that a) can afford 2 full season tickets by myself b) couldn't care less about how terrible the food is and c) don't mind driving 25-30 minutes each way to see the game.

7- i'm not sure that it's just julien. outside of neidermayer, what devils defensemen routinely joined the rush in the last 10 years? it has been every devils coach's strategy. i'm not so concerned about the goals as i am in the general role of the defensemen in the offense or transition game. white has perfected the dan-0 get the puck away from me play, martin's outlet passes are off more often than not and rafalski has been nothing like he was from 00-04 so the transition is terrible. in the offensive zone, they might occaisionally pinch, but it is rarely done effectively.

the devils will have big decisions to make after this year with regards to their defense. rafalski is UFA and martin will be RFA again. I'm not entirely sure what's out there on the market next year, but this is martin's year to sh!t or get off the pot. he will either establish himself as a top pairing defensemen or he won't and the way the devils are set up salary wise, they cannot have a #3/4 defensemen making $2+MM.

Man, the attendance at this game is pathetic... it looks like a Rats game or a Lowell game...

That reminds me of a quasi-funny moment from tonight, some guy in my section was saying how the attendance was so bad they should just close off the upper deck. I was like 'Yeah just like they did for Rats games'.

Really the Isles aren't a true rivalry although the more they kick our a$$ and rub our noses in the dirt the more I detest them :P Still, why would you want to go to the game (and I was there tonight) just to watch the Isles kick our butts? It's so obvious they're in the Devils' heads now, it's like a team of Alexei Morozovs. I don't really care about the attendance, I do care that the Devils continue to take nights off against this team. Enough bs already. I don't want to hear about 8000 in the arena, there's no excuses for getting fifteen frigging shots on net :rant:

But speaking of the arena, I learned two dirty little secrets about the Meadowlands tonight, one it's actually EASIER to get to the arena if you take the fork in the road towards the track instead of the fork in the road that points to Devils parking. Because you don't have to make that death-defying right turn on the highway across four lanes to get to the entrance. Two it's also actually easier to get out of the arena if you park at the track. True it takes fifteen minutes to walk from there to the arena, and I wouldn't advise it for bad weather games but still, not only is it free parking but it's like two turns and you're onto Route 3.

tri - i'm happy being a season ticket holder and will continue to do such. i'm going to watch every devils game i can so i'd much rather watch it live where you can see the whole game than on tv where you only see 10 feet around the puck. it's not really about the periperals for me, but i believe i am in the vast minority that a) can afford 2 full season tickets by myself b) couldn't care less about how terrible the food is and c) don't mind driving 25-30 minutes each way to see the game.

7- i'm not sure that it's just julien. outside of neidermayer, what devils defensemen routinely joined the rush in the last 10 years? it has been every devils coach's strategy. i'm not so concerned about the goals as i am in the general role of the defensemen in the offense or transition game. white has perfected the dan-0 get the puck away from me play, martin's outlet passes are off more often than not and rafalski has been nothing like he was from 00-04 so the transition is terrible. in the offensive zone, they might occaisionally pinch, but it is rarely done effectively.

the devils will have big decisions to make after this year with regards to their defense. rafalski is UFA and martin will be RFA again. I'm not entirely sure what's out there on the market next year, but this is martin's year to sh!t or get off the pot. he will either establish himself as a top pairing defensemen or he won't and the way the devils are set up salary wise, they cannot have a #3/4 defensemen making $2+MM.

Having D that 'generally' join the rush is a recipe for disaster usually - but I still think they have to do a better job of getting into the play. New Jersey as consitituted just doesn't get any odd-man rushes these days, and it's hard to win without those unless you forecheck well and generate a lot of power plays, on which you're successful. New Jersey obviously stinks at this so far - honestly, they look like the Larry team of last year, only they've been playing somewhat better defensively.

Martin missed a year of development and the Devils can still take a chance on him next year. Remember that a lot of guys are coming off the cap - the Devils are committed to Elias, Brodeur, Gionta, Langenbrunner, Madden, Matvichuk, White past this season, but Gomez, Rafalski, Brylin, Lukowich are all UFA. We've also yet to see David Hale this season - he should be solid when he gets back. I also feel like Lou's long-term signings were predicated upon the cap going up - if it does increase to say 46M, the Devils are going to have 14M of room with which to play around. Martin easily fits into that.

Edited by Triumph

i thought brylin was around next year as well, but i'm not positive on that. yes gomez and rafalski are UFA but we cannot replace either from within with cheaper alternatives that can provide what they do. gomez will very likely make at least $5MM/year from the Devils or someone else. Rafalski will likely receive offers over the $4.2 he got this year based on teh market set last year. There's no cap savings on them if they stay. should they leave, replacements will have to be found from the trade market or UFA. not to mention the fact that parise will be in line for a raise (quite possibly a substantial one should he continue his pace for 35-40 goals). i think that lukowich is the only guy coming off the cap next year that could be replaced with a less expensive guy, but not by that much.