Claude Julien fired as head coach

John Wensink

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is kind of amusing hearing the VERSUS guys fall all over themselves complimenting Lou during the first intermission.

Clement: 'A lot of GMs might have made the same assessment of their coach but only one had the guts to pull the trigger'

Engblom: 'If anyone else had done this we'd be fitting them with a straitjacket'

Jones: 'After spending a few minutes with Lou I realized I knew very little about hockey, he's just a brilliant hockey mind'

Jones also said before the game he'd just literally voted for Julien as Coach of the Year this morning :o I guess there's no real front-runner for that award this year, maybe Therrien gets it just cause nobody had expectations for the Pens 'this' year.

Edited by Hasan4978

can julien win coach of the year? I hope so that would be amazing

The devils to me looked like they had been playing uninspired hockey all year. I wasn't confident in their chances in the playoffs honestly under Julien. Is the situation with Lou any better? I have no idea but I doubt there are many (any?) players who are/were in "Julien's camp" and are angry about the decision. Let's see how the team (and which players in particular) reacts to the coaching change.

We just better not draw Ottawa in the first round because of this. They terrorify me.

Maybe Therrien gets it just cause nobody had expectations for the Pens 'this' year.

Ugh, I hope not. There are at least five coaches -- Ruff, Trotz, Alain Vigneault, Randy Carlyle, Mike Babcock, maybe even Nolan and Tippett -- I'd give the Jack Adams to before Therrien, who basically sat back and watched the Gretzky Oilers Version 2.0 mature ahead of schedule without doing anything to facilitiate it (unless you consider putting Crosby and Gonchar on the same power play "coaching").

I really hope the Pens are out in six against the Senators so this Therrien talk can stop.

<JESTER>

Ugh, I hope not. There are at least five coaches -- Ruff, Trotz, Alain Vigneault, Randy Carlyle, Mike Babcock, maybe even Nolan and Tippett -- I'd give the Jack Adams to before Therrien, who basically sat back and watched the Gretzky Oilers Version 2.0 mature ahead of schedule without doing anything to facilitiate it (unless you consider putting Crosby and Gonchar on the same power play "coaching").

I really hope the Pens are out in six against the Senators so this Therrien talk can stop.

<JESTER>

o rly? You mean Lindy Ruff with 12 forwards capable of scoring 20 goals, or Randy Carlyle with 2 of the best defensemen in the NHL, or Alain Vigneault with a top goalie, Babcock with the Red Wings who are always good? How can you use 'the Penguins have good players' as an argument against them, when the rest of the guys you named can field with their best players, a team that could take on the All-Stars of the rest of the league and be incredibly competitive?

I think that everyone knows that this is and will always be Lou's team, Lou's system. Julien was hired because he would not try to tamper with the system. He didn't have a superb coaching pedigree, rather he was a defense first coach that came in with little baggage.

We've won and been at the top this year more because of the system we play (it's still the best in the NHL) than because of the skill of the overall team (save Marty). Julien just came in and didn't do anything new or different to give this team his stamp.

All year, while we have won there have been fewer games that we have won convincingly or showed that killer instinct. Many of the players did their jobs as they should, but that ability to put teams away and dominate has not been there. That was the biggest thing that worried me coming into the playoffs.

I'd hope that Lou can get that killer instinct back - otherwise it will be a short stay in the post season.

How many games have the Devils dominated this year? How many games have the Devils even won by more than 1 goal (not counting EN goals). This team certainly has the potential to win, but I can't remember the last time they really put a team away. I don't think Lou liked his chances of the Devils having to win 16 1-goal games against teams like Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Even the games this year against Phily, the worst team in the league, and the Rangers, before they got hot, were nail-biters this season. This team isn't going to go anywhere until they can put other teams away.

I have been thinking that to myself for quite some time now. The last time I can remember the Devils actually putting a team away was Dec. 17th in the Garden - they embarrassed the Rags 6-1. After that, beats me.

I seriously think that plays a part in Lou's decision. To echo the sentiments already stated around here, the killer-instinct is nowhere to be found, and Lou knows that is the key to getting through the gauntlet known as the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I just hope his move turns out the way he is hoping. I've had a special feeling about this team all year long, but I always felt like something was missing - this might be it.

Through thick and thin: Let's Go Devils!

o rly? You mean Lindy Ruff with 12 forwards capable of scoring 20 goals, or Randy Carlyle with 2 of the best defensemen in the NHL, or Alain Vigneault with a top goalie, Babcock with the Red Wings who are always good? How can you use 'the Penguins have good players' as an argument against them, when the rest of the guys you named can field with their best players, a team that could take on the All-Stars of the rest of the league and be incredibly competitive?

Yeah, but the difference is that I can look at the Sabres, Red Wings and Ducks and see the coach's fingerprints all over those teams and the systems they play. What, exactly, is Therrien's system? Is it the same one that had his head on the chopping block as late as January?

BTW, I know the Western Conference might as well be on Pluto the way the NHL segragates its teams, but enough can't be said about what Alain Vigneault has done with the Canucks. It's not just the Luongo show -- he's created an environment where every player is competing for playing time and he's adjusted his lineup in that sort of merit-based way. It's one of the reasons the team has overachieved.

Come to think of it, that might be one of the reasons Julien is out and Lou is in.

<JESTER>

I have been thinking that to myself for quite some time now. The last time I can remember the Devils actually putting a team away was Dec. 17th in the Garden - they embarrassed the Rags 6-1. After that, beats me.

I seriously think that plays a part in Lou's decision. To echo the sentiments already stated around here, the killer-instinct is nowhere to be found, and Lou knows that is the key to getting through the gauntlet known as the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I just hope his move turns out the way he is hoping. I've had a special feeling about this team all year long, but I always felt like something was missing - this might be it.

Through thick and thin: Let's Go Devils!

I forgot about that one against the Rags, I was going back in my mind to 5-2 over Pittsburgh early in December...

Good find on that sportsnet article, njdevils2003champs.

There have been whispers that the Devils are unhappy with Julien's hard-nosed tactics and that they've said so to their general manager. That's entirely possible and if Lamoriello sensed that that dissent was real and that his team was no longer competing to the best of its ability he would do something about it.

I would think the players would have made this known much earlier, and Lou would have moved quicker if this was the case. Then again, maybe Lou saw the life being sucked out of the team....this one's a definite possibility.

There have also been reports, again not tied to any on-the-record statements, that Lamoriello put himself in charge because the players were feeling that Julien wasn't calling the shots anymore and that he (Lamoriello) might as well come down from the GM's office and direct the team. They needed to be brought back to attention and he was the only one who could do it.

I don't buy this one. I can't see any players calling Lou out like that.

A third scenario has it that Julien clashed with Lamoriello about player personal decisions and that when that happens, Lamoriello books no dissent. You either do what he tells you when he tells you or you're watching games on television, contract or not.

What personnel decisions? They've been suiting up whoever is healthy. Not many decisions to be made. Unless Julien was pissed they sent Clarkson back down to Lowell.

All three are plausible but unconfirmed at this point.

It's humorous that Julien was fired because he was too hard-nosed *AND* that he was too much of a players coach. I guess it goes to show just how little we know of the coach and what goes on in the locker room that journalists can claim both and not look ridiculous.

We don't know now and the chances of us finding the real reasons are pretty slim. the speculation goes on.................................

Damn had Marty only waited a little longer to release his book.

but we may have to wait a couple of years for him to complete it.

Nah, it only took a few months for the last one. Cox does all the writing, he just has to sit down and talk with Marty from time to time.

He could have the next book out by the beginning of next season! :P

Lou's old school. Old school coaches are seriously into "fairness" - everyone gets treated equally, no matter whether theyare the first line superstar or the 4th line grunt. Just my opinion, but that seemed to be a problem with Julien. Gomez turned the puck over 50 times a game in the neutral zone without consequence. A rookie defenseman makes the same boneheaded move for the first time in the season and he gets benched for the remainder of the game, gets blamed for the loss and gets called out in the papers. Thought that was Julien's undoing right there - you just don't do those things. Now, if Julien lets this rookie have it in the lockeroom, no problem, but calling people out in the press isn't Lou's thing. Julien is what I call a "Vanilla" kind of guy, which turned this team into a "Vanilla" kind of team. No passion, no fire, no spark - just vanilla. Can't have that going into the playoffs.

Don't forget about Vanderbeek in this whole thing - methinks this wasn't just a Lou decision.

Gomez turned the puck over 50 times a game in the neutral zone without consequence. A rookie defenseman makes the same boneheaded move for the first time in the season and he gets benched for the remainder of the game, gets blamed for the loss and gets called out in the papers. Thought that was Julien's undoing right there - you just don't do those things. Now, if Julien lets this rookie have it in the lockeroom, no problem, but calling people out in the press isn't Lou's thing.

I completely agree with what you are saying here. It seems as if Julien would sit the guys who were easy to sit, meaning guys who if he sat them nobody would give him any crap for doing so. For example, if Julien sat Gomez, people would be more likely to blame a loss on Gomez not playing, which would then fall on Julien. However, with a rookie such as Oduya, it would be easy to sit him because nobody would question it. This is not how Lou wants to run things ans as a result Julien was gone.

Edited by devils26

Lou's old school. Old school coaches are seriously into "fairness" - everyone gets treated equally, no matter whether theyare the first line superstar or the 4th line grunt. Just my opinion, but that seemed to be a problem with Julien. Gomez turned the puck over 50 times a game in the neutral zone without consequence. A rookie defenseman makes the same boneheaded move for the first time in the season and he gets benched for the remainder of the game, gets blamed for the loss and gets called out in the papers. Thought that was Julien's undoing right there - you just don't do those things. Now, if Julien lets this rookie have it in the lockeroom, no problem, but calling people out in the press isn't Lou's thing. Julien is what I call a "Vanilla" kind of guy, which turned this team into a "Vanilla" kind of team. No passion, no fire, no spark - just vanilla. Can't have that going into the playoffs.

Don't forget about Vanderbeek in this whole thing - methinks this wasn't just a Lou decision.

+1... all good points and I agree completely... this was at least 50% of what was going on.

Coaching is impossible... unless you just think about the game. Julien did seem to be caught up in trying to please people while trying to coach his game. He came off wishy washy on ice.

In press.. :noclue: I mean I just never got him... it seemed like mixed messages to me - I never got a real feel for where HE was coming from, of why HE chose to do something -- what HIS thoughts on the game and the team were.

I guess, like the team itself seems to be doing, the system was playing Julien. Julien wasn't playing the system... that means no real control, no real concept of what you're trying to accomplish in depth.

:unsure: maybe... maybe Stevens could coach... because you need someone who can say I know HOCKEY so sit down and STFU - it's not ME you're fighting here -- it's HOCKEY. Burns for me anyhow was just so good at that. Julien just didn't have that power - that confidence in the game itself - it makes for a slightly apologetic game.

Edited by Pepperkorn