Brent Sutter to be New Devils Coach

capo

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Green is a good one-year stopgap, and I agree he'll be good for Beck's development. But again- every time I have expectations for the Dolphins, they fvck up. So this year, my expectation is to win 7 or 8 games and hope they surprise me.
Edited by TravisZajac

http://www.reddeerrebels.com/index.php?opt...8&Itemid=36

Rebels Make Major Changes

RED DEER, AB – The Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club announced July 12th, a major restructuring of the organization.

Effective immediately, Brent Sutter is stepping down as Governor/General Manager/Head Coach of the hockey club. He has held these positions since purchasing the franchise in May 1999. It should be noted that Sutter is not selling the team.

Effective immediately, Brian Sutter has been named the new Head Coach. Sutter has coached 13 years in the National Hockey League with the St. Louis Blues (1988-92), Boston Bruins (1992-95), Calgary Flames (1997-2000), and the Chicago Blackhawks (2001-04). He won the Jack Adams Award as the National Hockey League’s top coach in 1991 with the St. Louis Blues. Most recently, Brian Sutter coached the Bentley Generals of the Chinook Hockey League (Senior AAA) to a B.C./Alberta Championship and participated in the 2007 Allan Cup.

As a player, Brian Sutter spent 12 seasons in the NHL all with St. Louis starting in 1976 and ending in 1988. He accumulated 636 points in 779 games during those 12 years along with 1786 minutes in penalties.

Along with the hiring of Brian Sutter as Head Coach, there have been other changes within the Rebels organization.

Jesse Wallin is now the team’s Associate Coach, after two seasons as an Assistant, and has accepted a contract extension.

Jerry Van Someren has been named Governor/Vice President of Business Operations. Van Someren has been the team’s Vice President of Business Operations for the last two seasons.

Randy Peterson has been named Vice President of Hockey Operations. Peterson has held the post of Director of Scouting/Player Development since 2003.

Dale McMullin has been named Senior Scout. McMullin has been involved in the Red Deer Rebels scouting staff since 2002.

Ralph Schmidt, former Moose Jaw Warriors General Manager and Calgary Flames scout, has been added to the scouting staff.

Craig Kinney has been named the team’s new Video Consultant.

Dallas Gaume, Dave ‘Radar’ Horning, and Terence Robertson have all accepted contract extensions.

Point taken- didn't realize those guys coached in the NHL as assistants. Nonetheless- I'm excited to have a guy with as solid a hockey backround as the Sutters have, in addition to a hard-working, take no prisoners philosophy. Everyone has to start somewhere, and from everything I've read, he's as good a coach as there is that isn't in the NHL.

Agreed...the family name is the only reason why his lack of pro experience doesn't concern me in the least. Sort of reminds me a little of Willie Randolph, who had basically zilch in managing experience but such a good pedigree otherwise you couldn't help but be confident in the hire. I have to admit I thought Lou would have trouble hiring a coach after what happened with Julien and Lou taking over last year but what do you know, he got his guy again.

Has Bobby Carpenter ever resurfaced since he had the death or the an illness strike a family member I believe it was his dad.

I remember how he was being groomed to one day become the future coach of the Devils since he was assisting in Albany then up with the big Club under Larry then back down as the Head coach for Albany.

I had always half expected him to be a candidate the last couple times Lou was looking for a replacement.

Well In case anyone cared Carpenter was coaching last year for a Massachusetts youth hockey league.

http://www.valleyhockeyleague.com/content....=41&id=1087

Bob Carpenter, VJW Program Development Manager

Bob Carpenter joined the Valley Junior Warriors staff as program development director in 2006 after a celebrated professional hockey playing and coaching career. A St. John

How long did Bryan Trottier wait. This guy was hailed as the next great coach for years, then ended up looking clueless for 50 games with the Rangers. I get the feeling Maclean will never amount to much, otherwise they would've hired him already.

You never know ^7^. What I do know is this. It's much easier for guys like MacLean, Trotts who have never been at the helm of any team to become the coach of a very young team. A team that's just horrible and young. Not a veteran laden, chance for a Cup.

Maybe Johnny Mac will get his chance, but not in NJ.

Meh, all those bands are the same to me.

In North Jersey you see basically a thousand of the same thing once a week.

Pretentious instead of snarky, tame instead of edgy, annoying instead of eccentric.

As my father, who played guitar in bands in the late 70's-early 80's NYC punk movement, "I never thought I could hate music so much".

One can't help but think about Parise's playing.. think of his dad.. think of the old isles and just see if they were playing hockey. Zach is certainly playing hockey! Not a lot of guys do. Gomez struggled his ass off to play but just didn't have it in him, you know?

I think this is a good choice, pretty fresh, loves hockey -- sort of like a Larry Robinson -- but judging from the family a little more hard nosed. It's got a nice feel to it -- you never know until you're there.

Julien seemed milque toast from the start to me -- but none the less a Burns like picture could have been painted of him. you just never know until they're in the boat :noclue:

(I so want to go off on my why I liked the Isles and didn't like the Oilers. I felt like the islanders were such a TEAM - huge personalities that all sucked it up and played for eachother. In an EXTREME emergency well then it always seemed to me bossey would step up and bring it home. Neidermayer just never got there to me -- but that's what I'd always hoped he'd be. Oh brother... :blahblah: sorry!! )

Edited by Pepperkorn

Anyone else thinking the Devils might give him GM and coach while Lou stays on as president. The only reason why I'm thinking this is he had such a great deal where he was. He's been offered NHL jobs for a long time now and has passed. I know his kid was playing for him but... Just a thought... Lou's not going to be around forever....

Anyone else thinking the Devils might give him GM and coach while Lou stays on as president. The only reason why I'm thinking this is he had such a great deal where he was. He's been offered NHL jobs for a long time now and has passed. I know his kid was playing for him but... Just a thought... Lou's not going to be around forever....

GM? No, not right now. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Lou gives him an assistant GM position with the intent of having him take over somewhere down the road.

Edited by RowdyFan42