God am I sick of some of you people...

HellOnICE

Good statement, however it seems like your poking at that Marty has looked good because of his D.. Somewhat it IS true, however I believe most of it is not. I've seen him make huge saves, and there were many times in which the D would just collapse and have Marty bail them out with a bunch of saves
Edited by section 110

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dew, I just don't think the system is all that crazy different defensively. What's making these games different is the defensive core we have. It's just not as good. Marty's making great saves, but he's not god. No goalie could be doing amazingly/significantly better in his shoes right now.
Edited by StarDew

I'm sorry I don't see it. That Kapanen goal was a helluva shot that dipped a quite a bit on end. Nothing he could've done on that.
Edited by Guest

Here is the way I see it. Think of all of the successful seasons Marty has given us, even if he loses every single game he plays in for this season we don't have the right to be angry at him. I'm sure every team in the league would kill to have him as their goalie but he's stuck with us for his whole career.

Marty has notoriously started cold. So have the Devils. Both will be fine.

Jeez, around this time last year, Ottawa destroyed Marty in Ottawa. He gave up something like 6 goals in 30 minutes. I'm sure people were calling for Clemmensen to get the next start. Yet, he finished with 48 wins and his best career season, statistically speaking. He's given us 3 Cups out of 4 finals and 15 years of success. He'll play his way out of it.

Now, i agree Weekes should get a start on the Isle, but only because Brodeur wants the Rags Thurs and he's obviously opening the Rock.

Sorry but Marty has been brutal. You don't think he ever faced quality scoring chances before in his career? Vezina/Hall of Fame goalies are supposed to rob shooters, which he has done for his whole career, but he ain't doing it right now. I have faith that he will turn it around, but it worries me that he had to rush home with Lou by his side so early in the season for unknown reasons.

Of course it is ridiculous to be overly upset with Marty for tonight. In truth, last night, he made some phenomenal saves in addition to what he gave up. I only wish that he would be more honestly self-aware of how much he can effectively play this year and when - think for the team - that's why Weekes is here. You don't have to be a superhero for everygame. Regardless, he will turn the magic on again in the coming games. :rolleyes:

section 110 is right, it has always been long known that Marty's D helped him with many of those stats. It will be interesting to see how & if he can adjust. However, that said, it's still early and I'm sure he'll come around.

Also I'd like to see Weeks more, this team has to become less dependent on Marty, he won't be here forever!

We're a funny group.

Fans of other teams would say that Marty wasn't really as good as Roy or Belfour because he was a product of the system and we'd get upset.

Now that the system has changed and Brodeur has sucked we say Marty was never really all that good and that we should expect him to be bad because the system has changed.

Oi.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What disturbs me is that we're not allowing a whole lot more shots.. they may be of better quality, but what happens when we DO allow more shots? 8-0 to the Flyers?

We're a funny group.

Fans of other teams would say that Marty wasn't really as good as Roy or Belfour because he was a product of the system and we'd get upset.

Now that the system has changed and Brodeur has sucked we say Marty was never really all that good and that we should expect him to be bad because the system has changed.

Oi.

I wasn't particularly concerned by the fact that he didn't stop the Kapanen shot. Although Chico's blatent goalie-ism or homer-ism (it was either one in this case) can be wearing, he was right. When the shot starts a foot and a half higher than it ends, generally, it winds up in the net. My only thought, and it did cross my mind, was that Biron was so on last night that he probably would have stopped it. He was stopping everything else. Then again, maybe it only seemed that may because NJ kept putting almost everything into his chest.

I understand that Marty is having a cold start. I'm not suggesting that they should do something silly like trade him or even bench him. But it seems that Weekes was supposed to be the starter last night. The only thought about playing Marty in Philly was if he played really well in P-burgh. He didn't. So, it seems we are back to the old formula of Marty playing because he wants to play, not because that's what's scheduled. And then, let's face it, he didn't play well. So, really, I'd just like to know WTF is going on.

Maybe they would have lost anyway, since they were completely incapable of actually scoring. But if the purpose was to get Marty on a roll, it failed. So they might as well have kept to the schedule and gotten Weekes some work.

My only thought, and it did cross my mind, was that Biron was so on last night that he probably would have stopped it. He was stopping everything else. Then again, maybe it only seemed that may because NJ kept putting almost everything into his chest.

Wow. 7 games and people panic? You guys obviously don't remember the days of being eliminated from the playoffs every year by December. Let's all take a deep breath. The Devils are 3-4, playing all 7 on the road. That's not terrible and there is a whole season to go. Personally I'll be happy with a 5-4 or 4-5 record by the time the Rock opens. Are Devils fans so spoiled? It could be so much worse, trust me, I've seen it. They're not playing that bad and they're gonna get better. Remember, this team is built for the playoffs, not the regular season. They're figuring out Sutter's system and getting better every game. Remember one thing, the coaches know better than you and I. They'll know if this new system isn't gonna work. So relax. :koolaid:

Ladies and Gentlemen.

Take my advice.

Pull down your pants

and slide on the ice.

That consisten Marty bashing is getting riduclous already. I mean have you people ever watched hockey???

NO GOALIE can do it all. He's made some great saves in the last 3 games. But HELLO...look at his D. Mottau, Oduya, Greene, Rachunek, Vishevski.....COME ON. Neither of these guys are that physical, have experience, know how to PK it, and some don't even belong in the NHL.

Do you want Marty to tie up guys in front of the net? Clear the slot?

Greene could've stood next to Down and give him a free pass?

Could Mottau even do anything but stare at Lupul as he skated by?

Is Martin and Oduya supposed to stop Knuble, Briere ane Gagne on the PK?

We aren't going to beat great teams like the Flyers with a Defense like this. Perhaps some of you could've noticed that every time a Devil went to the net, Hatcher/Smith/Jones cleared that net as if it was Fort Knox in a red-cage. That was the difference tonight.

This bashing is ridiuclous. Get a clue.

This team isn't going to win consistently with this D. It's going to need to beat the teams it can like Pittsburgh and Atlanta, and they will be perfectly fine. Lou will address the D as needed. But until then, they did some very good things tonight. The talent just isn't there right now.

But the pissing and moaning about Marty is ridiclous. Some of you are nuts.