Detroit's attendance blues

section 110

"The 1996-97 champs, coached by Bowman and who swept Philadelphia in the finals, was one of the most talented groups ever assembled, with all due respect to the post-expansion era Oilers, Islanders and Penguins during their multi-Cup runs.

Captain Steve Yzerman, Igor Larionov, Nicklas Lidstrom, Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Larry Murphy, Mike Vernon and Vladimir Konstantinov were the headliners for the first Wings title since 1955. "

Oh ya.. Now I remember. That was pretty much the team we swept and beat the living sh*t out of in 1995 (did Kozlov EVER get up?).

Will the Devils ever get their due?

"The 1996-97 champs, coached by Bowman and who swept Philadelphia in the finals, was one of the most talented groups ever assembled, with all due respect to the post-expansion era Oilers, Islanders and Penguins during their multi-Cup runs.

Captain Steve Yzerman, Igor Larionov, Nicklas Lidstrom, Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Larry Murphy, Mike Vernon and Vladimir Konstantinov were the headliners for the first Wings title since 1955. "

Oh ya.. Now I remember. That was pretty much the team we swept and beat the living sh*t out of in 1995 (did Kozlov EVER get up?).

Will the Devils ever get their due?

I don't understand why people think attendance is the sole revenue of sports teams.

Not so much in the other major sports, but in hockey, gate is a huuuuuuge chunk of team revenue. The NHL doesn't have the lucrative TV contracts you see in other sports and merchandising isn't quite up there with the others either.

Not every fan stands. That' the usual in most buildings. We need a bigger horn/music combo to celebrate it....

This current oone blows. I stand up and sit right back down.

I mean crowd pans where more people are sitting than standing.

The only other place I've seen that consistently is Detroit.

I've watched quite a few western Canadian teams on TV and from what I see, unless it's the playoffs, about 90% of the crowd doesn't get up for goals. Anyway, good article but I love all the excuses for their declining attendance. For years now we just get blasted for bad attendance but we're not allowed any excuses. Oh, and on a related note, I hope TSN's satellite falls out of orbit.

The Red Wings always blame the Michigan economy for their woes. They have been doing that since the 1970's.

Good point but Detroit is really a dive. Sadest city I've ever been in. Where else is there nothing happening on a Saturday in spring? If you ever want a reason to slit your wrists, check out the GM building in Detroit. A huge glass building with nothing in it. Sad, sad, sad...

That being said, the Joe is an incredible place to see a game! One of my most memorable hockey moments was seeing a game in the Joe. The place just reeks hockey history.

Good point but Detroit is really a dive. Sadest city I've ever been in. Where else is there nothing happening on a Saturday in spring? If you ever want a reason to slit your wrists, check out the GM building in Detroit. A huge glass building with nothing in it. Sad, sad, sad...

That being said, the Joe is an incredible place to see a game! One of my most memorable hockey moments was seeing a game in the Joe. The place just reeks hockey history.

Detroit worse than Newark! Call the papers! Ah The Joe reeks hockey history in a city that just reeks. :giggle:

They showed a game from 1998 against the Caps and of course it was totally different. Packed house totally into it and lots of noise.

I have to believe the awful economy and high cost for games are big reasons why it's deteriorated. I would be willing to bet the cost has gotten a lot worse since the lockout.

The crowds there are dead. It's really sad. Especially when they got maybe the most exciting line in the game and future HOFers.

Detroit worse than Newark! Call the papers! Ah The Joe reeks hockey history in a city that just reeks. :giggle:

Did they spend millions of dollars trying to fix it like Newark? Isn't Joe Louis kind of old?