What has to change ,the Devils or Sutter?

eaglejelly

Assuming there will be no coaching change in the near future (always a risky assumption with Lou), what will needs to happen to turn this team around. Do the Devils need to built the team around Sutters system, or is it Sutter who needs to learn the Devils recipe of success?

Both.... the sign of a great coach, regardless of sport, is the ability to adjust their system to the talent and skills of the players....

but also it's still wise to build a team around the ideal system of the head coach

having some NHL-level defensemen would help too :P

Hang in there, guys. Let this stew cook for a while. Maybe they're not winning, but they've been playing better. The baby is still a toddler. Wait to see if they can adjust and grow before we kill anyone. This is the "New Team" I've been asking for, for the last couple of years and now I got it. It might not be pretty but it ain't ugly. :P

i think that we clearly need to change the devils. sutters system is all part of the new nhl. the trap will not work in the playoffs anymore in a league where speed matters. i think the players need to learn to adapt to the new system better and the defencmen need to not suck.

Speaking of the new system, who would have thought that we would become unwatchable AFTER the elimination of the trap. I agree with the sentiment that Sutter maybe needs to make some adjustments (that don't involve 50,000 line combos), and that there's only so much you can do with a below-average blue line corps.

You know Lou is going to do something. He won't stand for this. They got shut out for the 5th time this year last night. They have only been shut out 6 times total for the two previous seasons.

Well, there's a frightening statistic. Also, I was at the game last night, and I want to know from anyone who watched or went to the game... did it look like he even gave DiPietro a challenge?? I don't remember him having to make any jaw dropping saves to stop us.

Sutter ain't going nowhere, he's doing a good job, I mean we are fighting for the puck and not giving up on the play. We just need to start signing UFA's. I thought we should have went after Michael Nylander, I know he is older than Gomez in fact He's 34, but he can hold on to the puck very long and he knows how to make a good play and Elias would have worked well with him. We simply have to score more than 2 goals a game even if it is in a losing effort, but at least it will give us confidence in the scoring department. Other than that Zajac is our #1 center right now and he's not ready for that role. We need a Veteran center for Elias other than Brylin, so that should be Lou's priority whenever White comes back since that is what the team is focused on at this moment. Looks like White will return in Pittsburgh next Wednesday. After Thanksgiving, Lou might want to assess this team and see what moves need to be made, but he will likely start doing so in January.

Would be nice.

If I didn't see Mike Mottau ever again, I would not complain.

I'm sorry, but a starting six that sports Mottau and Brookbank is scary. Nothing against the individual players, but it really shows how weak the D is when you have not one, but TWO AHL tier guys starting. Granted, Brookbank hasn't been too bad, but he needs a lot of time to still develop.

It also doesn't help when Vishnevski and Greene play like garbage. I like both players, but they were both pretty brutal last night. We need White bad.

You cant blame the d last night. How many games can you win when you dont score. I agree, 5-6 years ago I could have never imagined the defence would have AHL level players. When White comes back one of the AHLers will be back probably Mottau.

i dont think any coach in the history of the NHL was "great" 20 games in.

Sutter was a great Junior coach when he was also the Owner and GM of the Red Deer Rebels. he was able to find players that play HIS system.

it may not necessarily be Sutter adjusting to the players or the players adjusting to Sutter's system. it really may be Sutter and Lamoriello adjusting to each other: Sutter adjusting to the players Lou will give him and Lou having to find players that fit a completely different system and mindset compared to the last 12+ years

Edited by njdevsfn95

i think that we clearly need to change the devils. sutters system is all part of the new nhl. the trap will not work in the playoffs anymore in a league where speed matters. i think the players need to learn to adapt to the new system better and the defencmen need to not suck.

We haven't played a full trap in four years, because of our lack of a true number 1 defeseman. The Devils haven't even really tried to completely trap another team since before the lockout, so I don't think playing the trap is contributing to the losing we are seeing this season.

I like Sutter's system, with the hard forecheck. The only problem is that with such an agressive forecheck, our guys are bound to get stuck down low when the other teams breaks out. Without defense who can make up for having a forward or two stuck in the offensive zone, the whole system falls apart. That is why I am holding out hope for White and Martin to come back and make the system into a success.

Speaking of the new system, who would have thought that we would become unwatchable AFTER the elimination of the trap. I agree with the sentiment that Sutter maybe needs to make some adjustments (that don't involve 50,000 line combos), and that there's only so much you can do with a below-average blue line corps.

reminds me of 05 with the um trap

Assuming there will be no coaching change in the near future (always a risky assumption with Lou), what will needs to happen to turn this team around. Do the Devils need to built the team around Sutters system, or is it Sutter who needs to learn the Devils recipe of success?

I happen to believe Sutter's job is not as secure as everyone thinks. Yes he's a rookie coach, and Lou will give him the benefit of the doubt for that reason, but Lou has a short fuse when it comes to results (or lack thereof). If a coaching change is in the works, I'd like to see Hartley behind the bench. Outside of that, the team needs better D-men. I like our offense, but they need to start producing.

The difference is that Claude Julien was given a short, cheap contract that the Devils were willing to eat.

Brent on the other hand is making (based on rumour) $2M/year and it's a multi-year contract. Is JVB willing to eat that much of a loss? I doubt it. They gave Brent a long deal because he's going to be the focal point for years to come. Come what may.

i think sutter is doing fine with what he's got to work with. there isn't another coach out there that could get this group to play better right now. this ahl defense we have did not give up a goal last night even strength. they didn't play bad overall. i don't believe that people think if larry or pat were coaching this team we would be performing better. especially larry given what happened the last time. sutter needs to be given a chance and lou will give him that chance. our top two lines need to start producing. my only complaint with sutter is i wish he'd let his lines stay together for at least a game or two so they could try to develop some chemistry. and as has been said already, getting some nhl ready defensmen would be nice.

I happen to believe Sutter's job is not as secure as everyone thinks. Yes he's a rookie coach, and Lou will give him the benefit of the doubt for that reason, but Lou has a short fuse when it comes to results (or lack thereof). If a coaching change is in the works, I'd like to see Hartley behind the bench. Outside of that, the team needs better D-men. I like our offense, but they need to start producing.

It really depends on whether Lou believes this team (with all the players back, healthy) can do better than it has been doing. I suspect he's going to be more upset by the lack of effort in some of the games than the actual record.

But, in speaking to the players, why is that happening? Is it because they just don't care, or because they are out there in their 14th line combination in the last 2 weeks and they just can't figure it out anymore? I don't know. As a fan, you expect them to be professionals and try their best no matter who they are out there with. But, I also remember what it was like to have my 6th boss in 4 months and yet another new set of teammates and clients to work on at my old job and I can't say I found it to be inspiring.

Sutter and Lou are in a quandry. The team isn't producing. And, quite frankly, since the last few games of the road trip, Marty has had one bad game and that was Wednesday night against the Rangers (and I roasted him for it, because, basically, he can't have a bad night behind this team). Sutter has to try and find something that works. But, if he keeps changing the 'new' combinations if they don't work immediately, then nothing will ever work. And players will just feel more beaten down, like they were never given the chance to try and make it work.

Someone needs to figure out what this team is actually capable of doing, and figure out how to get them to do it. I agree - they have looked terrible. Sometimes they don't even look like they want to be out there. I don't think they are a playoff team. But I don't believe they are going to be shut out in about 1/3 of their games during the year.

It really depends on whether Lou believes this team (with all the players back, healthy) can do better than it has been doing. I suspect he's going to be more upset by the lack of effort in some of the games than the actual record.

But, in speaking to the players, why is that happening? Is it because they just don't care, or because they are out there in their 14th line combination in the last 2 weeks and they just can't figure it out anymore? I don't know. As a fan, you expect them to be professionals and try their best no matter who they are out there with. But, I also remember what it was like to have my 6th boss in 4 months and yet another new set of teammates and clients to work on at my old job and I can't say I found it to be inspiring.

Sutter and Lou are in a quandry. The team isn't producing. And, quite frankly, since the last few games of the road trip, Marty has had one bad game and that was Wednesday night against the Rangers (and I roasted him for it, because, basically, he can't have a bad night behind this team). Sutter has to try and find something that works. But, if he keeps changing the 'new' combinations if they don't work immediately, then nothing will ever work. And players will just feel more beaten down, like they were never given the chance to try and make it work.

Someone needs to figure out what this team is actually capable of doing, and figure out how to get them to do it. I agree - they have looked terrible. Sometimes they don't even look like they want to be out there. I don't think they are a playoff team. But I don't believe they are going to be shut out in about 1/3 of their games during the year.

That analogy about having 6 bosses in four months is spot on, I couldn't agree more. There has to be some consistency in the line combos. Aside from the personnel, there's a real leadership gap on this team. I've long been a proponent of having Madden as captain. Let's face it, no one is going to fill the skates of Scott Stevens, but having no captain at all is a poor choice imho. Madden has the work ethic and veteran experience to lead this team. The Sutter honeymoon is over, he's got to find a way as Coach of this team to produce wins, bottom line.

The Gomez loss shouldn't hurt that much. Zubrus is capable of at least 60 points and that's not that big a dropoff from Gomez.

Lukowich, White, and Rafalski, that really killed this team. And of course Langs coming back just recently. White being at least close to his former self should stabilize things a little. Oduya not being able to progress hurts as well, though I suppose we should be patient since it's only his second NHL season and his skating is well above average for an NHL defender.