Shanahan joins Devils

jkrdevil

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when will he suit up and play...and around what game do you guys see him debuting in?

Reports during and after the game last night said that Shanahan will be with the team practicing in Columbus on Friday morning and his debut could be out on LI vs. the NYI. IMO, he may need more time as it all depends on how much of shape he is in which from the reports were saying he is in shape, but not hockey shape yet.

You know in sports, there's a big difference between character and presence. If a hockey fan wants to find a team with character, look no further than the New Jersey Devils. There, you'll find a team that's loaded with character role players that are as much decorated, as they are loyal. Humble players, that are skilled and selfless, who seldom need direction. Marty has been the most recognizable player associated with a team in the modern era, since Jeter and his pinstripes, and because of his injury has been MIA since early Nov. Though the Devils have managed to remain competitive, the teams been asked to find an identity throughout the season by a number of hockey outlets.

For a long time now on this board (and to my friends) I've been saying the Devils need presense. Someone the rest of the team could look at and get goosebumps. A player that has been through the wars, that has fought the battles from the old guard, a player that knows what it takes to win. Someone that embodies pure greatness, a bonafide Hall of Famer when he walks away, someone other than Marty. To me, this team has been missing that since '4 rode off into the sunset, with tears in his eyes, waiving to the Devils faithful as his number was being raised. There's been plenty of "captains" since '4 donned the 'C on his red & black... but Neids' stint was short, Patty's was even shorter, and although Jamie is carrying the dutties admirably, his selection was more a "best of the bunch" choice -vs- Devil dues/history as any. On Saturday, the Devils got their presence, and they didn't have to risk an additional year in the contract agreement(s) either. Now I'm not saying he's going to come to the team and fill the void of such great Devil players that are no longer here. I'm simply saying that Lou made a tremendous step in post-season play, by getting such a gifted player. (and yes, even at 40 years of age) A complete player that is arguably the smartest in the game today... and they gave up no one for his services. A player with nothing left to prove, yet still hits when he needs to, blocks shots when he needs to, fights when he needs to. A player others will do anything it takes to win for. Battle for 60 minutes, play through injuries, bleed, whatever... win... period. By any means necessary. Tom Renny used Shanahan on penalty kills for the Rangers last season. When asked why he replied, "because that's the presence he brings. Because I know when he's out there, everyone else isn't going to take off or they will be held accountable. Because when he's on the ice they give 110%." When Matt Loughlin asked Travis Zajac about the Shanahan acquisition, he responded; "I can't wait, he's gonna be great in that dressing room." Before addressing any on ice production, he looked forward to Brendan's locker room presence first and foremost.

Langenbrunner may wear the 'C on his jersey, but the true leader of this team plays in the crease. It has been as much an honor as it is a burden, and too much for any one person that's not on that bench when nerves are exhausted should handle. There's a lot on the shoulders of Marty, mainly because he can endure it, but that doesn't make it right. Brodeur too deserves some vanguard assistance when/if he's mentally drained. Someone he can go to for counsel when he's spent. Another player that will take the majority of the questions from the press in the locker room after a heartbreaking lose. This teams outcome/expectation/pressure/responsibility should be shared. Yet everyone knows, if the Devils don't win the cup, it's Marty that takes the hit. *Is he finally getting too old? - *Maybe he's getting past his prime. - *Was it Sean Avery that got into his head? - *He looked mentally tired in that series - *70+ is too much for his age, maybe he needs more rest throughout the season. -etc. I look at this move as a change in the Devils philosophy of a teams construct. Anyone that knows Lou knows this is not a typical Lamoriello move. I think something else is in the works, something big. Chere's comments on MSG+ during the LA game were note worthy. "Call it a hunch but I think they're gonna get another big forward, perhaps a playmaking center. I don't think Lou's gonna get anyone on defense." Now why/how that opinion makes sense (especially now w/Shanny) is anybodies guess. But let's call a spade a spade, who among us would've/could've predicted this (Shanny) would happen?

Great move by the Devils/Lou. A low risk rental with a HOF resume to boot. Welcome back Shanny! :clap:

shanahan's signing with the devils as a last resort and lou is probably looking at this as a low risk move for a guy he can use for a half season.

i'm not excited about this, but lets hope shanahan chips in a few timely goals and ads something to the team.

last spring he looked ready for the glue factory, perhaps skipping the first half of the season will give him some jump.

Im starting to fell that Shannahan's level of play will also determine weather or not Lou makes any other moves, or has the abillity to.

If Shannahan comes in and puts in a solid performance and outplays some of the current roster, i think Lou will look into trading moving some people around.

my problem with the shanahan addition is that this team has looked slow now in several games and shanahan ain't exactly mike gartner in his prime out there. a roster with holik, rolston, pandolfo, langenbrunner, and clarkson - all of these players are of NHL average speed or worse (and in most cases worse).

when will he start playing ?

any ideas?

From reports and in the newspapers today, they are saying Shanahan will not ve with the team in Vancouver, but will join the team and practice with them in Columbus. Most likely could see Shannahan vs. the NYI out on LI on Saturday for his first game. There is a possibility it could be in Columbus on Friday, but the reports and articles said more like Saturday vs. the NYI.

I think Lou has some sick compulsion to get players who leave on bad terms to come back and have to sing the Devils's praises. That's about the only thing I think is OK about this signing. Shannahan - longtime Devils detractor - will now go out saying how great the team and organization is - his going out as a Ranger spanking us out of the playoffs with all that Avery lovin' will now be retracted with some horsesh!t about coming home again...I don't think he'll say any of that crap though. I'm surprised he'd come back actually... and wish he'd bring a Stevens type back on his second departure...

I think Lou has some sick compulsion to get players who leave on bad terms to come back and have to sing the Devils's praises. That's about the only thing I think is OK about this signing. Shannahan - longtime Devils detractor - will now go out saying how great the team and organization is - his going out as a Ranger spanking us out of the playoffs with all that Avery lovin' will now be retracted with some horsesh!t about coming home again...I don't think he'll say any of that crap though. I'm surprised he'd come back actually... and wish he'd bring a Stevens type back on his second departure...

Do you recon we could get Calgary to sign him, then ask for Phaneuf as Comp :dance:

I would love to see him debut on the Island! I'll definitely be at that game if he does, I'll snatch some photos for you guys!!

Cool man, can't wait to see him mingle with the NJ'gents...

...or if your bored you can paste photoshop some red & black. :P

Shanny.png