Shanahan joins Devils

jkrdevil

This move either indicates the end of Mike Rupp (and Brookbank goes without saying--he's only a spare player as is), or signals a forthcoming trade, as some have said.

1 more player means someone gets the squeeze. I think that will be Mike Rupp in the short term, but not necessarily in the long term.

I'd look to Madden as trade-fodder more than Gionta, seeing how his role has changed, and at least for the time being, doesn't appear as useful (though, playoffs are a different story).

If we were to acquire Kaberle or JBo (my feeling would be toward Kaberle), I think Madden would be part of the package. However, it's all speculation, and Rupp might well ride the bench until the trade deadline in this scenario, or hey, the entire year if no other moves are made.

Rupp is a big hunk of flesh out there on the ice, but he's dropped the gloves enough times this year to earn my respect, and I'm not entirely sure he's finished. Still, in the meantime, trade or no trade forthcoming, another player of skill (regardless of age), should add another element to the team.

And yes, with both Shanny and Rolston on the PP, if nothing else, we'll be causing defenders a lot of pain from here on out, since both players are born of the shoot-first mold.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I just realized that there shall never be anymore "Shanahan to Devils, what you think?" topics :clap:

The Jagr thread is a barren wasteland now, too.

Re: Mike Rupp - he doesn't deserve to lose his job right now, but he's probably going to have to. It's a small shame though, as he's settled into his role nicely this year - his fighting's better and he takes on that role as a defender of his teammates very well. I think of Clarkson as an agitator and Rupp as a fighter, and they're two different things. There's just not enough room for both right now.

Think of it this way...if they can't keep him (and why would he stay there?)...then trade him. One playoff and get beat as the 8th seed to Boston, JBo leaves and then what?

Oh, I agree with you. I would trade him too. But it's an interesting situation that is fun to speculate about.

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) has been banging on about this for MONTHS.

Yeah he had Shanahan going to the Devils and five million other teams depending on what day he was writing. Just as Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) always does, he hedges his bets 20 times over so he can sound 'right' in the end :P

[quote name='thelastonealive' date='Jan 10 2009, 09:14 PM' post='694659'

Re: Mike Rupp - he doesn't deserve to lose his job right now, but he's probably going to have to. It's a small shame though, as he's settled into his role nicely this year - his fighting's better and he takes on that role as a defender of his teammates very well. I think of Clarkson as an agitator and Rupp as a fighter, and they're two different things. There's just not enough room for both right now.

Think of it this way...if they can't keep him (and why would he stay there?)...then trade him. One playoff and get beat as the 8th seed to Boston, JBo leaves and then what?

No, they need to make the playoffs in much the same way Atlanta did a few years back, hence why they foolishly sold out the farm for the priviledge of getting swept by the Rangers. Besides you never know what happens when you get there - hell with the way Florida's playing they could get above the eight seed.

Anyone else think that Lou HAS to have something else up his sleeve? I could see him moving Madden-Pando package to acquire a defenseman...

any chance Toronto wants Madden-Pando? :)

Toronto may trade for Madden but they don't want Pando's cap hit for the next three years. I do think it's a possibility Pando gets traded, but there really aren't that many suitors for him. Minnesota? Boston doesn't exactly need him.

I don't get what Lou has against 13 anyway, unless he's just that superstitious. I can understand not giving out high numbers (though he's done it in the past with Gilmour and Mogilny).

I always wondered why no Dev ever had a # over 30 (besides Clemmer). Has Lou always been the GM and had these rules? I don't know why he wouldn't give them--it's up to him?

As for 13, it shouldn't be a superstition thing but some people feel that way. As numbers are retired, he'll have to allow higher ones. It's up to Gio and Shanny who gets to keep 14.

Elias Rolston Gionta

Parise Zajac Shanahan

Pandolfo Madden Langenbrunner

Zubrus Holik Clarkson

I'm liking these lines.

Too much ice time.

Elias Zubrus Gionta

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Rolston Holik Shanahan

Pandolfo Madden Clarkson

is more like it..

As for his number I will guess #21 .. i dunno why

Edited by nmigliore

No, they need to make the playoffs in much the same way Atlanta did a few years back, hence why they foolishly sold out the farm for the priviledge of getting swept by the Rangers. Besides you never know what happens when you get there - hell with the way Florida's playing they could get above the eight seed.

Yea but they should look to Atlanta as an example of what can happen. If they let Jbo go for nothing (ala Coburn and Hossa) this team's going to nosedive. They should use him to improve next year (if they can't sign him). The last thing they need is to make the playoffs and lose in 4 straight.

Yea but they should look to Atlanta as an example of what can happen. If they let Jbo go for nothing (ala Coburn and Hossa) this team's going to nosedive. They should use him to improve next year (if they can't sign him). The last thing they need is to make the playoffs and lose in 4 straight.

I still can't believe they traded all their farm (Bourret, Coburn ect) and draft picks for Pascal Dupuis, Tkachuck, Zitnik..

What the bloody hell lol.

lol i turned on msg to watch the rangers pregame and they were talking bout lou and i was like k why they talking bout him. then i hear them say looks like shanahans gunna end where he started and i was like WAT. i txted my bro and he called me and was so confused lol.

i NEVER saw this coming. wanted it to but didnt see it.

Edited by njdevilsluva

for those talking about dealing madden, please keep in mind that he's a UFA after this year and has absolutely ZERO trade value to any team going to the playoffs that thinks they need a better defensive player (read: nobody).

nobody wants him in a trade this year.

Edited by sundstrom

All I can say is OH MY GOD

Totally mixed emotions but if everybody thinks to last season when we played the Rangers, think of the guys who could hurt us, Jagr, Gomez, Shanahan. He is a threat whatever we think of him. Hes a Profile

Edited by nick17112

for those talking about dealing madden, please keep in mind that he's a UFA after this year and has absolutely ZERO trade value to any team going to the playoffs that thinks they need a better defensive player (read: nobody).

nobody wants him in a trade this year.

You're looking at it in the wrong light.

The fact that he has an expiring contract makes him very enticing to teams looking to dump talent to either clear cap, get younger, and he would just fill a role for the rest of this season for whereever goes since hes UFA next season. Its like this in every salary cap sport (bar the NFL). The NBA has tons of these deals and the NHL has them too.

Lou won't be looking to make deals with buyers that are hoping to make the playoffs. He's going to look to make deals with sellers who aren't going to be making the playoffs.

Edited by ghdi

You're looking at it in the wrong light.

The fact that he has an expiring contract makes him very enticing to teams looking to dump talent to either clear cap, get younger, and he would just fill a role for the rest of this season for whereever goes since hes UFA next season. Its like this in every salary cap sport (bar the NFL). The NBA has tons of these deals and the NHL has them too.

Lou won't be looking to make deals with buyers that are hoping to make the playoffs. He's going to look to make deals with sellers who aren't going to be making the playoffs.

i'd say wrong several times, but once will suffice. the nhl has never had deals like this and it won't have deals like this now - not quite yet.

florida has to make the playoffs if they have a chance, let's not assume something so patently absurd as a sweep. even if the rangers had a 3-1 edge over the thrashers, which they didn't, they still only sweep 32% of the time. you can always run good in the playoffs and win a round or two. trading bouwmeester while on the cusp would be an absolute debacle.