Sutter Hears Call of the Ranch

devilsrule33

The most revealing interview to date.

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/s...html?id=1371672

Brent Sutter sounds every bit the part of a frustrated Alberta rancher lost in an urban jungle.

Homesick? You bet.

Thinking of walking away from his job as head coach of the New Jersey Devils to move back to his farm and family?

Also true.

"The hockey side ... that part's been fun," the New Jersey Devils head coach said in his office on the west side of the Hudson River, across from the madness that is Manhattan.

"It's the other things. Between the ranch back home and the junior team, the [Western Hockey League's] Red Deer Rebels, being away from all that hasn't been the easiest thing for me."

"I'm not making any decisions," Sutter said. "I'm just taking it day to day and doing the best I can.

"We'll evaluate from here." The evaluation, at least internally, has already started.

"It's hard to explain to anybody," he said. "My situation is somewhat different than a lot of other coaches in the NHL. I own a major junior team. I own a ranch. I'm 2,800 miles from all that. I have a family, and I'm 2,800 miles away from them. I chose to do this, but there's an understanding that it's a year-to-year thing for me."

In seven seasons as the owner-president-manager-coach in Red Deer, Sutter led the Rebels to a record of 282-163-34-25 along with a Memorial Cup victory in 2001.

"That's home to me," said Sutter, who won two Stanley Cups as a player with the New York Islanders.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think he is done at the end of the year. It looks like he just misses his old life and his family too much.

I think how the season ends might be a deciding factor. A Stanley Cup and he can walk away with no regrets.

But what if they lose in the playoffs? Does he walk away saying this was my best chance and now its gone? Or does losing fuel him to come back for another year??

Not really sure now was the best time to have that interview come out, as a player that might be a little weird, esp if you have a good relationship with Sutter.

in actually reading sutter's quotes, it's a little more innocuous than the article makes it sound. (and of course, it's appearing in a canadian newspaper). i can't see sutter walking away from this team at the end of the year, they're clearly so close to a stanley cup.

Can anyone recall what kind of contract he signed?

I believe he signed a 4-year deal, but it probably has some kind of out clause.

in actually reading sutter's quotes, it's a little more innocuous than the article makes it sound. (and of course, it's appearing in a canadian newspaper). i can't see sutter walking away from this team at the end of the year, they're clearly so close to a stanley cup.

I hope you're right Tri, but if we do win it this year I could see him leaving. If not, I think he would come back for another run.

Oh great.

NO offense to Guy Carbonneau, but I'd love to John MacLean or Kirk Muller get their shot first. True Muller is on the Habs, but that guy was awesome with the Devils for those who never saw him play. Shanahan on the bench next year as an assistant or the year after? Hmm... I like it all.

The quotes come off as the same fence sitting words that Sutter uses for all his quotes and then the writer adds his own opinion that is different than the quotes

What we didn't hear is how the reporter phrased the questions. I'm sure Sutter was just trying to be as honest as he could. People in the media will of course try to spin it as "OMG SUTTER IS GONNA LEAVE THE DEVILS OMG!!!!!!"

The quotes come off as the same fence sitting words that Sutter uses for all his quotes and then the writer adds his own opinion that is different than the quotes

But we know when he says that..he usually knows the answer.

"I don't know if we'll Start Clemmy...we'll look at all the factors and I'll talk to Lou. I'm just going to take it day-to-day." Meanwhile we knew Clemmensen was starting his 10th straight game.

Sutter isn't going to tell the media that he might leave. He isn't trying to make a big deal out of it, but family, the ranch and his junior team seem like the most important things in his life. Who knows how tough it is on his wife who is alone at the ranch.

Hockey seasons for a coach can be extremely lonely. He gets to go home, twice all year? How many times will he get to be back home next season if he is asked to be part of the coaching staff for the Canadian Olympic team.

If he does come back next year, it'll be another tough season for him. I think he is saying all the right things. It is a day-to-day, week-to-week and month-to-month battle for him. But the day-to-day comment show me how tough it has been on him. I do think winning a Cup we'll make his decision easy for him.

As for talk of a new coach if he steps down. I wonder how long John MacLean just allows himself to be passed over before he has enough and leaves to another team. Like most younger assistants, his goal is to be a head coach in this league. I am sure he thinks he has been ready for a while now.

Edited by devilsrule33

But we know when he says that..he usually knows the answer.

Ya, but his quotes didn't actually lean toward once answer or the other. Like almost every person on the planet being away from home is hard but he didn't indicate he was gone like the author went on to write about.

He could leave after this season but I don't think these quotes tell us one way or another, he would have made the same quotes last season, IMO.