Madden, Gionta want to stay with team

Rock

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/03...n_madden_3.html

"That's something you'll have to ask them," Madden said when asked what he thought the future holds. "The truth is I'm playing hockey and helping this hockey team win games. Whatever happens on July 1, we'll see."

"(John and I) have been here for so long, they know what we are," Gionta said. "Team success helps everybody. You need to play well and perform, but it's not something I've thought about."

As for Madden and Gionta, both would like to stay with the Devils. Madden, in fact, is one of those players who came to New Jersey and can't see himself leaving.

"I haven't had to make any decisions," he said. "If someone asked me today, I definitely plan to stay in the U.S. and probably in New Jersey."

Tough call for both players. Clearly they've both had some great moments.

Gio has been much more productive lately (5 G and 5 A in his last 12 GP). I can't say I'd want to sign him for more than two years though, and at not much more per year than what he's getting now.

As a huge believer in gio, I would love for him to stay. He does all of the small things that makes him productive ie assists, getting back on defense, just the little plays that can help salvage some points for us. I would really hate to see us lose him. Now maddog, that is a tough call.

They all always "want to stay"

it's home

it's comfortable

they don't have to move

then some team offers them an idiot contract and then "this was the place I wanted to be all along" :rolleyes:

It depends on how much there looking at.

Madden has a place on this team for a while, he could move down to the 4th line eventually and wouldnt hurt there.

I think with Gionta it depends on the development of Bergfors, if he can come up and preform and save the team money which could be spent elsewhere then i think Gionta goes. I mean Hossa is the only RW who i would want who is UFA at the end of they year and then your talking 7 mill + per year.

the problem is that these guys simply cannot afford to make the same $ (or really close to it) and in gionta's case, he blocks the way for other guys - be it bergfors, halischuk, cormier, or whoever else.

zajac and oduya are in for raises - that money isn't just going to come from holik not returning and perhaps fobbing off pandolfo somehow.

the problem is that these guys simply cannot afford to make the same $ (or really close to it) and in gionta's case, he blocks the way for other guys - be it bergfors, halischuk, cormier, or whoever else.

zajac and oduya are in for raises - that money isn't just going to come from holik not returning and perhaps fobbing off pandolfo somehow.

Also depends on other free agents that might sign with the Devils or that the Devils might be able to trade for. If re-signing Madden and/or Gio is the difference between landing Pronger, Bowmeester or Hossa (to name a few), then you have to let at least one of them go. Note, I'm not saying that any one of those three is necessarily on the table, just that the team has to wait and see what all of the possibilities are.

I remember last year right at the deadline gionta went up to brodeur and gave him a hug thanking him for all his time spent with him. Its a choice lou is going to have to make with his head and not his heart. I hate these cases

the devils don't have the money to add any salary next season, so put all those names out of your head right now.

i could see madden coming back for a reduced salary - and given his season and his age, i think that's what he'll get from other teams, too. i can see this lineup:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

elias-rolston-bergfors

madden-zubrus-clarkson

pandolfo-pelley-rupp

it's a pretty rotten 4th line but everything else is fine.

the devils don't have the money to add any salary next season, so put all those names out of your head right now.

i could see madden coming back for a reduced salary - and given his season and his age, i think that's what he'll get from other teams, too. i can see this lineup:

parise-zajac-langenbrunner

elias-rolston-bergfors

madden-zubrus-clarkson

pandolfo-pelley-rupp

it's a pretty rotten 4th line but everything else is fine.

That lineup scares the sh!t out of me. That 4th line is the biggest waste of space I have ever seen. This is why you need to draft well in the new NHL and avoid bad free agents signings like Rolston.

At the moment, it looks like no one is ready to slide in and make a difference.

Let me introduce some people to the really nice year Bergfors put together in the AHL this year.

Also, based on Madden's not so super play this season replacing him with Pelley would make perfect sense considering it saves 3 million dollars.

Tri, I think the Devils will try hard to move Pando with the business side telling Pando if something can't be worked out the AHL is always an option for him, that free's up 2.5 million from Pando and another 2.5 million from Holik. If you're letting Gio, Madden, and Shanny walk then the Devils have like 13 million dollars to fill 4 spots plus raises.

I am skeptical, but financially, we might not have a better option.

He's 21 and offensively head and shoulders above everyone else on the AHL team right now and putting up a point every ~.8 games. No rookie is ever a sure thing but I don't know why people, not you in the prior post, still talk about Bergfors as a bust when he's having a really good season.

That lineup scares the sh!t out of me. That 4th line is the biggest waste of space I have ever seen. This is why you need to draft well in the new NHL and avoid bad free agents signings like Rolston.

At the moment, it looks like no one is ready to slide in and make a difference.

huh? first of all, i dispute the importance of 4th lines as such. the advantage to having a good 4th line is that ostensibly those guys can fill in on any line if someone gets hurt, but having a strong one for the regular season really isn't important - it's worth what, 3 wins? maybe? is that 4th line any worse than last year's brylin-rupp-asham combo, or 2007's rupp-dowd-rasmussen combo or 2006's wiemer-rasmussen-janssen combo? not really. would i put a young player like halischuk on the nhl 4th line? no, i wouldn't. i mean this debate has been had over and over here.

731, where does pandolfo find a home? who's got that kind of money and wants to spend it on jay pandolfo? the devils don't have $2.5 million to throw away anymore. they keep him up next season, then in 2010-11 they either buy him out or send him to the AHL.

Edited by Triumph

731, where does pandolfo find a home? who's got that kind of money and wants to spend it on jay pandolfo? the devils don't have $2.5 million to throw away anymore. they keep him up next season, then in 2010-11 they either buy him out or send him to the AHL.

Why wouldn't the Devils have 2.5 million to put Pando in the minors? The arena is just starting to ramp up in terms of events. If the Devils made money last season then it should be making money plus plus this season.

Let me introduce some people to the really nice year Bergfors put together in the AHL this year.

Also, based on Madden's not so super play this season replacing him with Pelley would make perfect sense considering it saves 3 million dollars.

Tri, I think the Devils will try hard to move Pando with the business side telling Pando if something can't be worked out the AHL is always an option for him, that free's up 2.5 million from Pando and another 2.5 million from Holik. If you're letting Gio, Madden, and Shanny walk then the Devils have like 13 million dollars to fill 4 spots plus raises.

It certainly would be interesting to see if Lou was ready to let go of 3 players who have bled Devils' red for all these years including a player as well liked as Jay Pandolfo (where something ugly would have to happen to buy him out or dump him in the minors. Pandolfo isn't Dan McGillis here). He let Brylin walk, so maybe he'll do it here.

As for Bergfors, I hope he can be an impact player. There is nothing I would enjoy more than to see that.

huh? first of all, i dispute the importance of 4th lines as such. the advantage to having a good 4th line is that ostensibly those guys can fill in on any line if someone gets hurt, but having a strong one for the regular season really isn't important - it's worth what, 3 wins? maybe? is that 4th line any worse than last year's brylin-rupp-asham combo, or 2007's rupp-dowd-rasmussen combo or 2006's wiemer-rasmussen-janssen combo? not really. would i put a young player like halischuk on the nhl 4th line? no, i wouldn't. i mean this debate has been had over and over here.

The importance of a good 4th line isn't big if you have 3 very good lines, but I don't see the Devils having that. There re a ton of question marks. How many goals do you think a Madden - Zubrus - Clarkson line puts up? I really haven't seen anything from Elias and Rolston together to think they would put up anything big. What can we expect from Jamie next year?

And a few of those lines served a purpose. They would hit anything in site or they were good for energy. This 4th line is the most useless group of leftovers you could have. And I agree the 4th line probably equally sucked in 2008, but that was part of the problem.

Edited by devilsrule33

He's 21 and offensively head and shoulders above everyone else on the AHL team right now and putting up a point every ~.8 games. No rookie is ever a sure thing but I don't know why people, not you in the prior post, still talk about Bergfors as a bust when he's having a really good season.

Well, I would never term a late-round first-rounder a "bust" if he failed to make it in the NHL. I'm all for giving him a chance, but sticking a rookie in your top 6 forwards is a leap of faith. I hope he's as good as you say.

Why wouldn't the Devils have 2.5 million to put Pando in the minors? The arena is just starting to ramp up in terms of events. If the Devils made money last season then it should be making money plus plus this season.

the real money factory, the luxury boxes, are the one thing at the new arena not doing well. lowell and trenton are losing a ton of money, relatively. vanderbeek said after the mcgillis debacle that he'd have to be more prudent in the future. i don't see it.