RUMOR: Forsberg decision coming this week

HockeyPilot18

Yahoo Sports

Forsberg's got another game with Modo today but if he plays for them past Oct. 1, he can't come do his thing in the NHL this season. So he's got some decisions to make, since a slew of NHL scouts have shown up to his games and appear to be interested in getting him to sign a contract.

Forsberg has said in the past that he's interested in returning to play in North America but only for the Colorado Avalanche, but folks are thinking the 36-year-old is ready to listen to any offer from a probable Stanley Cup contender at this point.

I don't really know what I think about this guy. He's been fantastic when he's been healthy, but that's just that. Who knows if Colorado will even want him anymore. Your thoughts???

Low risk, high reward. If it turns out he can play, I'd go ahead and sign him, he'd be our perfect 2nd line center. No way he could demand all that much with his age and injury history.

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Forsberg-Bergfors(lol)

Rolston-Zubrus-Clarkson

Pandolfo-Niedermayer-Shanahan

ex. Peters, PLZ

Low risk, high reward. If it turns out he can play, I'd go ahead and sign him, he'd be our perfect 2nd line center. No way he could demand all that much with his age and injury history.

I am sure that is what Philly, Nashville, and Colorado last year thought too and it didn't quite workout. Because they were blinded by the "upside".

New Jersey could definitely use him as long as he isn't demanding a whole lot... and he's looking to win the cup.

Colorado isn't the same Colorado he remembers, so maybe he lets that go.

I'm not looking to upset any team chemistry though... but our 2nd line is make shift at best... with Elias and whoever you care to try on it. Keep the guy a somewhat healthy scratch most games, ease him in... and hope he can provide some decent fireworks in the playoffs.

This is as likely to happen as an Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) rumor... but its a nice thought.

I am sure that is what Philly, Nashville, and Colorado last year thought too and it didn't quite workout. Because they were blinded by the "upside".

Philly won the Forsberg game, so scratch them out. They had a productive Forsberg 100 games played - 30g, 85a, 115p, +23.... they offed him to Nashville for a kings ransom where he promptly got injured. He gave them all of 15 pts for what... Scottie Upshall, Scott Hartnell and a 1st and some more if I recall... Colorado got 14 pts from him in 9 games... so the games he plays, he puts up points... but that games played is dwindling quickly

I'm with '7' on this one. this guy could really put us over the top if he pans out and doesnt get injured. Imagine the year patty could have on forsberg's wing. Personally I would put clarkson on the other wing because the hartnell (powerforward with forsberg and a skilled guy) idea worked out well for philly.

If he doesn't work out then what do we loss out on? In this case the worst case senario is he gets injured in 3 games and is out the rest of the year and we are right back where we started with patty at center. conveniantly there is even LTIR status for if the worst case occurs. So whats the big loss here? some money out of JVB's pocket? He's certainly not going to get a multi-year deal no matter where he signs so Lou can't pull the looking ahead to next years cap decrease thing. What did we save all the extra money for if not to get some yet unknown person to fill our void at 2nd line center that would put us over the top for the playoffs?

This is that guy and all we have to give up is money to get him. Sounds like the perfect deadline deal to me, and we don't even have to wait for the deadline.

Edited by brickwall30

Would be nice to have but his history just drives you away. I doubt Forsberg considers us a cup contender so down the drain that goes. The Flyers have to much center depth, I could only see Colorado or Nashville.

Agree Brick, I would take him at deadline.

Edited by Par99

I watched most of his first game back with MODO and he looked good, i wouldnt have any problem throwing some money at him, especailly if we are giving out two year contracts to Andrew Peters and $1million to the Wrong Neidermayer.

I watched most of his first game back with MODO and he looked good, i wouldnt have any problem throwing some money at him, especailly if we are giving out two year contracts to Andrew Peters and $1million to the Wrong Neidermayer.

Agreed.

He looks great so far. I'd hope we take a chance on him.

He would be deadly if Washington picked him up

Philly won the Forsberg game, so scratch them out. They had a productive Forsberg 100 games played - 30g, 85a, 115p, +23.... they offed him to Nashville for a kings ransom where he promptly got injured. He gave them all of 15 pts for what... Scottie Upshall, Scott Hartnell and a 1st and some more if I recall... Colorado got 14 pts from him in 9 games... so the games he plays, he puts up points... but that games played is dwindling quickly

Philly won what exactly??? Forsberg is damaged goods and team get so caught and dependent in the "potential" that don't plan for his inevitable injury and suffer.

He WAS a great player, but he is far from dependable now.

Philly won what exactly??? Forsberg is damaged goods and team get so caught and dependent in the "potential" that don't plan for his inevitable injury and suffer.

He WAS a great player, but he is far from dependable now.

and your point is? some other center is going to magically appear? forsberg would be a huge help to this team. can't see him coming here, but i'd sign him for a year and not think twice about it.

for the right price sign him...

play him sparingly and save him for the playoffs

and that is possible on this team

Forsberg isn't going to sign for cheap. Using him sparingly doesn't help anyone. Your better off going with a younger player and try to develop team chemistry. You can't turn chemistry "on" and "off".

and your point is? some other center is going to magically appear? forsberg would be a huge help to this team. can't see him coming here, but i'd sign him for a year and not think twice about it.

If he paid his own insurance premiums :evil:

But seriously - it's too much of a strokefest to even contemplate pursuing him. If he came to the organization looking for a job well sure there's a place for him. But it's not worth the effort to even remotely woo him beyond having an assistant call his agent.

I think that's more or less what Manta was saying - he just went a little over the top.