exit_16w

41 members have voted

1. 1. Time To Face It

• 1st Round
    • 2nd Round
    • East Finals
    • Stanley Cup Finals
    • Cup Champs

I know we all didn't think that the Devils would win the cup. I for one thought that they would get knocked out in the east finals against Ottawa or Leafs. Its just for fun to see what the majority of us thought would happen right before the playoffs started. Remeber BE HONEST

I figured 2nd or third round. I also posted when the Devils hit a rough stretch (Rough? It was like a loss and 3 ties!) in early March, and everybody was a little jittery here, to calm down, and just let it happen. I also said: We might all be surprised with this team. I guess we all were! B)

Before the playoffs, I had us going to the East finals as well. But it was hard to imagine with the scoring tough to come by, that it wouldn't have been a big shock if a hot goalie like Weekes last year had shut them down. Then a funny thing happened on the way to the parking lot, goals started coming & coming & coming. Jamie, Pando & Marshall, (Marshall?); God, after round 2, I really believed we'd win it all. Way to go TEAM!

I took the playoffs one round at a time. I thought Boston would be tough, but we would emerge in 6 or 7 games. I thought we would beat Tampa easily, but Khabibulin and Martin St. Louis did make me nervous. When it came time to play Ottawa, I spent a lot of time preparing to lose. I honestly thought all year long that Ottawa was by far the best team in the league, I thought they were hungry, and were ready to take the next step, I still think I was right on all counts, but what I underestimated was the resolve of NJ. I look back at the third period of game 7 of the ECF and just wonder how in the world we did it. If you want evidence that Marty was robbed of the Conn Smythe, watch a tape of game 7.

I thought the ECF and losing.

Same here. Maybe winning a game or two at most. After dominating Sens and eventually winning in 7, everything was gravy after that...so very proud of this team--not the most talented Devils team, but quite possibly the most "together" team and that speaks volume for the vets (Scotty, Marty, Dano, Nieds, Mad Dog, Pando, Sarge) and the front office for molding the team, especially with the relatively recent additions of Langs, Nieuwy and then this season Grant and Pascal.

It seems to me that Langs and Marshall have really fit in well with this team, having many players of similar age on the team...and are kinda leaders on the ice. They are vocal guys (especially Marshall it seems) and they have won before. Great job by Uncle Lou and his staff to target two guys like this who they knew would be great Devils players--and they certainly are. I still miss Arnott (I know, not a popular opinion, but hell I still miss Guerin too), but I am happy if the end result is a Cup. I mean trading Guerin got us a Cup, trading Arnott has now also garnered us another Cup!